Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
...P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !

I want to share this with my fellow fast drivers as a public service announcement. I didn't know the police actually had a device that could tell them if you had a (concealed) radar detector in your car, and I didn't know they could shoot 4 cars at the same time and pick you (or me) off automatically, etc.

I run a stealth installation of a Valentine-1 with the remote readout. I recently had an encounter where a police car stalked me down the road, and I finally just had to pull into someone's driveway and shut the motor off. I believe this is really an unfair practice, to single out a Porsche, when it is widely known a Porsche can easily drive over sections of roads faster but safely, when other cars would really be going too fast.

In any case, here is an interesting writeup I think every Porsche owner should read, simply because I agree with some of the posts, that we're being targeted unfairly.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42613...age/1138226137

I've long known I can drive our old 1989 740 Volvo beater through neighborhoods and down the interstate at fast safe speeds, faster than I could ever do in a Porsche, because the Porsche stands out and gets THREE LOOKS when the old Volvo gets none. Therefore, we need all the help we can get, because I honestly think this is a case of selective enforcement of the law.

Happy reading,

P
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I feel the opposite. I noticed I get less attention in my loud rumbling exhaust that reaks of no cat. the car has a roll bar and race seats, and its LOUD. Cops don't really bother me, but in my stock (reletivly) civic, I get more attention. Of course, I really don't break many laws on public streets, that and I'm typically good at spotting police.
Eyal
Old 01-25-2006, 06:33 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

If I'm running the radar or the laser I look for the fastest vehicle. I don't care what you are driving. If you feel "Targeted" because you are driving your porsche you need to stop speeding and slow down, then you won't be targeted.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mpd425
If I'm running the radar or the laser I look for the fastest vehicle. I don't care what you are driving. If you feel "Targeted" because you are driving your porsche you need to stop speeding and slow down, then you won't be targeted.
there you go, and I'm sure most police officers feel this way. I have nothing against what you do either, its your job and its a neccassry job. Yes, I sometimes crusie at 80 on the freeway, and I'll slow down if I see a police officer, but I would accept the consequences if I were ticketed, after all, i broke the law. I think the logic of I drive a porsche, therefore I'm allowed to drive 80 is flawed. This country is built on equality.
mpd425, thanks for what you do, I'm sure you have helped many people. Its really a thankless job.
BTW, what excuses work best to get out of a ticket
Eyal
Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

I'm also one that thinks color is IRRELEVANT. A good officer will be able to spot a car moving faster than the flow of traffic, regardless of whether it's red, blue, black, white, or tye-dye. If you're speeding, you're speeding...and eventually you'll get caught, regardless of paint.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
BTW, what excuses work best to get out of a ticket
Eyal
When they ask for your license, you hold your hand out with a hundred dollar bill and your license. Then say, "Take what you need, sir."
Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Even though your car can safetly drive at those speeds, often the roads are not in good enough condition to allow too excessive of speeds.

Anyone see the video of the Viper speeding on a desert highway when it hit a dip in the pavement that caused the back of the car to bounce about 3-4ft in the air? The car then flipped several times into the brush.

Oh, yeah. If you speed, accept the consequences. You're using a RADAR detector in an attempt to avoid getting caught and then complain about being suspected for it's use? Get real. By all means use a detector but don't bitch when you get caught.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh.. I just did some reading on the radar detector detector. It seems it picks up the leaked out RF from the oscillator used to pick up the radar in radar detectors.
Off the top of my head you could get around this by isolating the frequency leaked, inverting it and sending it back at the radar detector. It would work much like noise canceling headphones and should make the radar detectors "un detectable" no matter what frequency they leak.

I expect royalties on the next valentine unit that uses this method to combat the RDDs.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

just because the car is capable of driving at higher rates of speed for a sustained period and that you are driving it, doesn't mean that YOU can drive safely at those higher speeds or that other people on the road can drive safely when someone around them is speeding excessively. save it for the track
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I don't use a radar detector waste of time and money. I do speed and no I have never gotten a speeding ticket. Yes, I have been "Targeted" so many times it is not even funny. Black 928, Red 944 turbo. I get the follow around, I have even been ticketed for BS offences that were later dismissed by the judge as BS. I still had to waste time in Court!

I am sure we have officers here on the board who don't target but let's face it-
IT HAPPENS!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Only the state police use radar here in PA. When I do speed enforcement, I get to pick which car to time. The color and make have less to do with it then the manner it's being driven. Changing lanes repeatedly singles you out more then 15 over in the left lane. The point of the detector detector, if you read the article, is to go after commercial vehicles. It is illegal for any vehicle that requires a CDL to have a radar or other speed detector, on or not (CFR 49). I think large trucks should have a seperate limit then cars. I just got back from a run on I-83, to I-81, to I-78. I drove my SUV at 15 over with the cruise control on. I was actually passed twice by tractor trailers.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tigershark
Only the state police use radar here in PA. When I do speed enforcement, I get to pick which car to time. The color and make have less to do with it then the manner it's being driven. Changing lanes repeatedly singles you out more then 15 over in the left lane. The point of the detector detector, if you read the article, is to go after commercial vehicles. It is illegal for any vehicle that requires a CDL to have a radar or other speed detector, on or not (CFR 49). I think large trucks should have a seperate limit then cars. I just got back from a run on I-83, to I-81, to I-78. I drove my SUV at 15 over with the cruise control on. I was actually passed twice by tractor trailers.
you're po po too? Its cool to get the perspective of the officer. Can we have some stories? I bet you guys have some good ones!
Eyal
Old 01-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Asian male, 20 years old, red 944. Now that is a bunch of stereotypes asking for trouble.

I have been pulled over twice in my four years of driving. Admitantly because i was going pretty fast. Knock on wood, ive been lucky to get off with warnings both times. It must have been the Navy uniform.

I was pulled over once on the expressway, traffic opened up and i accelerated. Officer pulled me over and said i was going 81 in a 55. He told me i was the one ahead of the pack of already speeding cars, thats why i got pulled over. He did a visual check of my car, made sure i didnt have anything stupid like clear corners, had a front plate. Told me to take it easy and have a good night.

Second time i was pulled over..i entered an off ramp at a really high speed. Maybe 60mph, its listed at 35mph. Cop pulled me over about 1/4 after the ramp, asked me how fast i was going. I was honest and said i figure about 60mph. He said take it easy, and that hes also never seen anyone taken an off ramp like that in a long time. Was also wearing my uniform that day.

I dont feel like i was singled out because of the car, i was singled out because i was driving like a dumbass. Ive learned my lesson though, i take it easy now, having rear ended someone and gotten off with no damage to the other persons car (thank gosh for the tow hook) and smacking up my car pretty good. Im more mature behind the wheel now.

As for tips to get out of a ticket. I am friends with a few of the cops in my area..they often hang out where i work. Anyway they tell me things that may 'help' you get out of a ticket, but wont 'get' you out of a ticket. Pulling over imediatley with signals of course. Turn your hazards on, open all the windows, turn your dome light on, turn the car off, and keep your hands on the wheel as the officer approaches. Ive also heard to take the keys out and put them on the roof, but i always felt that seems like im trying to kiss *** a little to much.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

I have had some intresting experiences. I was sitting at a light one day, around 0700 or so. I was just waiting to cross, not poaching the light, when a car skids 3/4 of the way through the red light. She looked right at me and backed up. I pulled up behind her and when i got to her she said she was trying to make it to the gas station (the next block up) to use the bathroom. I looked down and she had wet herself. I have heard the bathroom one before, but if she peed in her car to beat the ticket, good for her. She walked. One I hated was a guy blew a light bad, and was moving pretty good. I pulled him over and he said he was diabetic and was trying to get home because his blood sugar was low. Now my father, sister, aunt, and grandmother are diabetic. So I told him to shut the car off and give me the keys. He said why, and I said I'm towing it and getting him an ambulance. After he does the math and sees that will be more then the ticket and he changes his story. I wrote him two for pulling that stunt.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Kind of tough using a detector when you are lased coming into range.

Nonetheless, as someone stated it not so many words, if you're going to dance, eventually you have to pay the fiddler. To echo 'duck's sentiments, it does pay to be polite and aware that a patrol person or trooper never knows what to expect when they approach your vehicle. It does work due to my youthful indiscretion experience, I sheepishly admit. Hands on wheel, no sudden movements, don't reach for anything until they speak to you and survey their surroundings. Car in park, if not off is even better. At night, driver's window down and hands on the wheel are saving a whole lot of anxiety. Yes Sir's/Ma'am's and No Sir's/Ma'am's go a long way. In a court appearance with a lawyer months after receiving a ticket, the highway patrolmen that pulled me over personally approached the bench to request that the hearing master withhold adjudication. When asked why the officer purely stated it was because he recalled my level of respect for him. By the way, if going to court, where business professional attire.

Here's the fun part that has gotten me no more than a verbal warning for 92MPH in a 45MPH.

Officer: "In a rush this evening?"

Me: "No Sir, just being stupid, before we go any further I want to let you know that I am carrying a concealed weapon in my vehicle, I am permitted, and the weapon is holstered underneath my seat.

Officer: "Have you been drinking?"

Me: "No Sir, not a single drop" (Halloween night)

Officer: "Slow it down and have a nice night."

Me: "Yes Sir, you too"

---

Major paperwork if they have to ask you to step out of the car and inspect it, at least in Tampa.

Good luck,
75ohm.

Quick Reply: Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !