Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my 1990 S2, some pics, please sheck it out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Motation
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 1990 S2, some pics, please sheck it out.

Picked up my 90 coupe on Saturday in New Mexico and spent the next 2 days driving it home 1000 miles back to california. Man what a smooth ride that 3 liter 4 banger is! got home without a hitch. I will post some pics as soon as I get them resized. My questions are as follows:

- I have searched but I did not find a link or write up on how to change the air filter, any help would be great.

- I plan on chipping the car, what brand should I go with and how much power increase is expected?

- I plan on getting exhaust as well, any suggestions?

- I have a Jacobs ICE PACK ignition, do you recommend installing this on the S2? If not what electronic ignition shoud I go with?

- My car is a dark blue but I don't know exactly the name. I think its called Glacier Blue but I'm not sure, the sticker is faded in the engine compartment by the fuse box. Anyone with pics of that color?

Here are some pics of my baby.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Motation; 03-02-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Smooth ride? stock suspension? did yours have the M474?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to remove the header panel to change the air filter.
1. Open the hood and remove the 3 phillips screws along the edge.
2. Turn the lights on so the headlights are up and remove the rubber piece at the base of each one.
3. Loosen the nuts on the two studs that are revealed after you remove the rubber trim.
4. There is an 8mm bolt that goes through the panel and screws into the fender at the edge which also needs to be removed.
5. Slide the header panel forward to reveal the air filter assembly.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:06 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

The air filter in the S2 is a PITA to change you have to pull off the front nose panel to change the filter, once you get the nose panel off its pretty easy to change the filter. Check out
www.clarks-garage.com for more info.

I chipped my S2 and I love it, there is more torque everywhere and abovr 4K the tings pulls like you woudn't believe. I got my chip off ebay for 30 bux. Its a weltmeister clone I believe.

The exhaust can't comment on as I don't have exhaust yet. But I here Speed Force Racign is good. Tony(BlueS2) on these boards has this exhaust, and he seems to like it.

ICE PAck never heard of it. But if its like the MSD 6AL box then you should be okay

Good luck and have fun

Oh yeah and this thread is pointless without PICS!

Brandon
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
aribop
Race Car

Here is a pic of what you will find...except yours will have a black box that takes up the whole space.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

You are just looking for an excuse to showoff your engine. HAHA AND YOU SHOULD!! droool, wished my looked that good
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

did you notice a differeance with that filter setup on it?

Brandon
Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Motation
Advanced

thanks for the info guys.

When I said smooth ride I meant at high speeds (85+ on the highway) ( the four banger is nicely balanced)

How can I tell if I have the Mo3o supension option, is it in the Vin?

Aribop, thanks for the great write up, and the pic of your car, that is exactly what I want to do to my intake, what parts did you use and did it make any difference other than intake sound?

Thanks again and sorry again for no pics. it was on autotrader.com but it looks like the guy took it off.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motation
thanks for the info guys.

When I said smooth ride I meant at high speeds (85+ on the highway) ( the four banger is nicely balanced)

How can I tell if I have the Mo3o supension option, is it in the Vin?

Aribop, thanks for the great write up, and the pic of your car, that is exactly what I want to do to my intake, what parts did you use and did it make any difference other than intake sound?

Thanks again and sorry again for no pics. it was on autotrader.com but it looks like the guy took it off.
You should be able to find the factory codes in 3 places. In the owners manual if it is original and in the rear hatch under the carpet by the spare. The M030 code should be there on the sticker.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Michael
Old 03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked the stock S2 cat-back on my car, actually. I borrowed one for a while until I got my Dansk, which I also like. But the S2 sounded great - a bit louder, deeper, and throatier. The Dansk sounds pretty good too, though - very much like the stock 'S' did (and it's so beautifully made). The 16V's (and maybe the 2.7L 8V's?) have the resonator/"pre-muffler" in the cat-back.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
aribop
Race Car

Originally Posted by sracer
did you notice a differeance with that filter setup on it?

Brandon
Yeah, I noticed it sucking the money out of my wallet. I have long since put the stock filter set-up back in it.

944S2nut, I wish the engine still looked that good. This is my daily driver so it's hard to keep it clean all the time.

I also have the SFR catback like BlueS2 and it sounds awesome! I could never go back to stock after the SFR.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the stock airbox and exhaust are well matched to the motor. Altering them may negatively effect the excellent low end torque.

As far as suspenion - if you're into autocross or track driving, I suggest you upgrade your rear sway bar for starters. After that, the sky's the limit - you can go with a full (4 corner) coil over setup, or get a Koni coil over kit for the front and bigger torsion bars for the year. All the big companies - Koni, Bilstien, Leda, Moton - have solutions for our cars.

What will be the primary purpose of your car?

Congrats and good luck!

-Z-man.

PS: How many miles on the car? If the mileage is around 100,000 miles, you may want to get your cam chain guide/tensioner replaced. Or, if you don't have any records of the previous owner doing so, get it done - age and mileage has a way of making the plastic guide on the unit very brittle - if it snaps, you can do some significant damage to the valves and the head.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, SFR really brings the car to life! Don't go any bigger than 2.5" if you change it though.

Listen to my sound clips for an example of the Speed Force Racing exhaust. It also only weighs like 13lbs or something compared to the MASSIVE stock one.

EDIT: So ya know what you are listening to... The first clip (S2 roars) is the exhaust recorded from a camera or something, cant remember what i used. The second is from a mic behind the car and one over the engine to get the sweet 16v whine, and the third clip is a recording from inside the car with the window down enough not to make overwhelming wind since I forgot my air screen for the mic.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Motation
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z-man
IMHO, the stock airbox and exhaust are well matched to the motor. Altering them may negatively effect the excellent low end torque.

As far as suspenion - if you're into autocross or track driving, I suggest you upgrade your rear sway bar for starters. After that, the sky's the limit - you can go with a full (4 corner) coil over setup, or get a Koni coil over kit for the front and bigger torsion bars for the year. All the big companies - Koni, Bilstien, Leda, Moton - have solutions for our cars.

What will be the primary purpose of your car?

Congrats and good luck!

-Z-man.

PS: How many miles on the car? If the mileage is around 100,000 miles, you may want to get your cam chain guide/tensioner replaced. Or, if you don't have any records of the previous owner doing so, get it done - age and mileage has a way of making the plastic guide on the unit very brittle - if it snaps, you can do some significant damage to the valves and the head.
Thanks Z man, the car has 122k miles and the cam chain guide/ tensioner was replaced like 10k ago, what are the intervals when I should have it redone?
The primary purpose for the car will be splitting time with my M3 as my daily and hopefully some track events in the future. I want to stiifen up the suspenion, but not make it so she feels like she going to rattle apart. I drive on some pretty rough roads so I'm not sure if I want to lower her either. But I do like to push the car to the limits, some times I drive her like I stole her. what fun would it be if you didn't?

"You should be able to find the factory codes in 3 places. In the owners manual if it is original and in the rear hatch under the carpet by the spare. The M030 code should be there on the sticker."

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Michael

- Thanks Michael I will check on that when I get back home, but I doubt it has it, as the Original owner was a woman that didn't even know the sunroof came off.

So last night I made my first mods to the car. they are as follows:

--Took out back seat top and seat belts.
--Drilled two large holes in front of air box, to increase air flow. anyone do this?
--Took silver hood crest off my '86 and switched the stock gold one.

Tonight I plan on adjusting the 10k old clutch, ( it engages way to high for me to get used to )
I will start by bleeding the system, then try and adjust the pushrod. Anyone have any suggestions?
next I will change the tranny fluid, what do you guys use?

Thanks and see you on the road.

Kris
Old 03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

aribop - how did you do your cam cover? Powdercoat? Did you do the inside too? What about the p-o-r-s-c-h-e - Paint? Powder? I think it looks like... DAMN!
sorry for the hijack!

Quick Reply: Got my 1990 S2, some pics, please sheck it out.