Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well its official, Im driving ol' yeller back to MN

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll agree, keep an eye in the rearview around and in the mountains up there in PA. I made a trip to VA-DC area, those truck MOVE down the hills. I know I got a kick out of the "runaway truck ramps", Large sandtraps that slow and stop trucks that have lost braking due to the steep grades. We actually saw a truck off in one!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 AM
spedracer18
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by packrat
ditto actually any 944 cruising around... let alone yellow . What end of the cities are you on spedracer?
I keep my cars at my parents in Independence (west of wayzata), but live in Columbia heights as it is close to the U of M campus. What part of Minneapolis are you from? It would be fun to get a bunch of MN area 944 owners together sometime, to wrench or just cruise.

Luis, I have dabbled in the 944 world since November 2004 when I bought the 83'. There are several 944 owners in the area, but I have only ever met Dan Wray (Iceshrark). Still miss him too, he was so knowledgable.

I figured Id bring 10 dollars in change for the tolls, I dont think they would be much more than that. Also, the atlas is a must, thanks for the reminder

Originally Posted by nine-44
I'll agree, keep an eye in the rearview around and in the mountains up there in PA. I made a trip to VA-DC area, those truck MOVE down the hills. I know I got a kick out of the "runaway truck ramps", Large sandtraps that slow and stop trucks that have lost braking due to the steep grades. We actually saw a truck off in one!
Do they actually speed down the mountains, like they cant brake? I would be freaked to see a semi barreling at 90 behind me!

Thanks again everyone, I will probably PM everyone that offered to help later this week. I only hope I wont have to call any of you!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spedracer18
I keep my cars at my parents in Independence (west of wayzata), but live in Columbia heights as it is close to the U of M campus. What part of Minneapolis are you from? It would be fun to get a bunch of MN area 944 owners together sometime, to wrench or just cruise.

Luis, I have dabbled in the 944 world since November 2004 when I bought the 83'. There are several 944 owners in the area, but I have only ever met Dan Wray (Iceshrark). Still miss him too, he was so knowledgable.

I figured Id bring 10 dollars in change for the tolls, I dont think they would be much more than that. Also, the atlas is a must, thanks for the reminder

Do they actually speed down the mountains, like they cant brake? I would be freaked to see a semi barreling at 90 behind me!

Thanks again everyone, I will probably PM everyone that offered to help later this week. I only hope I wont have to call any of you!
In mountain areas, alot of times trucks can't brake, or try not to as much as possible. Truck brakes overheat quickly with all that weight going downhill, and once they overheat, they can't stop at all.
You'll see on some mountain highways, there are exits that are just runoff exits, that basically go into barriers or the woods, for this reason.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 AM
packrat
Advanced

Originally Posted by spedracer18
20 miles north of Anoka, out in the sticks where you never see a 944. I do work in Blaine near the TPC course where you do see some fine cars... a few 944's, 911's, Boxsters, and A Carrera GT.

Yea, it would be fun to go out and cruise with a pack of 944's and a yellow one leading!

Have a good trip back
Old 03-09-2006, 01:01 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring duct tape!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

I'm 20 miles from where I-70 meets I-76 (Breezewood) if you need anything, shout.

Careful on the long downhill section of I-76 west of the Donegal exit, cops hide in the damndest spots. Andrew on the 928 forums got nailed doing 110 there last fall, and he's still walking funny.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedRacer18
I used to drive the turnpike from Pittsburgh to Detroit/Kalamazoo often; IIRC it was $6.55 or so from the PA/OH border to the exit at Toledo, OH. and about $3~$4 from Pittsburgh to the OH border.

Buy one of those cheap styrofoam coolers and ice packs in VA and soda, chips, snacks, etc., all that stuff before you get on the turnpike - you pay a premium for all that stuff on the turnpike. Oh, yeah, don't forget to get a cupholder! One of those ones you wedge into the seats, hang off the window, or whatever - you gotta have a cupholder! And a flashlight, with good batteries.

I'm about an hour from the Indiana part of the turnpike and about 2 and a half from Toledo, but I'm pming my phone numbers in case you get in a bind and can't get a hold of anyone else.

Oh, yeah, after you get your contact list together, you may want to send them your cell phone number. Sometimes when people leave a voice mail message from a cell phone, you can't make out the phone number they left, especially if there's background noises, traffic, etc., so if you call someone, they have your number to call you back. Good luck on your road trip!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

20 miles north of Anoka, out in the sticks where you never see a 944. I do work in Blaine near the TPC course where you do see some fine cars... a few 944's, 911's, Boxsters, and A Carrera GT.

Yea, it would be fun to go out and cruise with a pack of 944's and a yellow one leading!

Have a good trip back
St. Francis?

Only about another 6 weeks (Apr 21-23rd) and there will be streams of 944s and 911s heading up hwy 10 to BIR for First Fling.....
Old 03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob

BIR for First Fling.....
Ill be there.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick tip for your Chicago leg; avoid I-90 (Dan Ryan Exp.) that takes you through the city. They are starting another new construction project, and by all accounts, it promises to be a nightmare.
Stick to 294 which by-passes the city proper. It is a tollway, (tolls are .80 b.t.w.) and there is construction on the IND./ILL. border, but shouldn't be too bad.
Also, they put up new signs for the tollbooths that are totally confusing. If you're paying cash, just stay to the right when you get near one.
Good luck on your journey!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Motation
Advanced

I second and third the atlas suggestion. I drove my M3 all the way back to CA from San Antonio, Texas, and I just got my S2 from New Mexico, that was like 1100 miles back to the Bay Area. I say bring the atlas cause it would be shame to miss any good roads in a 944 (ie: Twisties), take a little time to plan your route back and you just may find some hidden gems. Godd luck and have fun with your new car. Are you collecting old 944s? my Crystal Green is for sale. Cheers
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 PM
spedracer18
Racer

Have a good trip back
Once school ends Ill start a thread to find a good day for a cruise/get together. What is the TPC course? I know Blaine well as I live just south a few miles.

Duct Tape I hope I wont need to use any of that.

Scott M. thanks for the tip on the downhill section, I always seem to speed through those areas.

Jack thanks again for the PM, I appreciate your help with my journey

Originally Posted by Motation
I second and third the atlas suggestion. I drove my M3 all the way back to CA from San Antonio, Texas, and I just got my S2 from New Mexico, that was like 1100 miles back to the Bay Area. I say bring the atlas cause it would be shame to miss any good roads in a 944 (ie: Twisties), take a little time to plan your route back and you just may find some hidden gems. Godd luck and have fun with your new car. Are you collecting old 944s? my Crystal Green is for sale. Cheers
I wish I had enough money to collect old 944's. They are just saved from going to porsche heaven. Although at some point I would like to add a green (crystal or nile) 944 to the bunch. Only hope that day it will be a trubo or s2

Anyone know of any good twistie roads on my way back? I wouldnt mind hitting a few of those. I will check the atlas when I get it tomorrow.

Thanks again all
Old 03-10-2006, 03:37 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
Talking

Rock? Make sure it has a hood latch, a right rear axle nut, and the sunroof is secured!
1984 911 Carrera Coupe - Guards Red (gone, but not forgotten)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're not living"
Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Schaumburg is not so bad. Stay away from the DAN RYAN!!!! Take 294. If youre coming through chicago any time during daylight, expect traffic otherwise, you'll be fine. Oh yeah, avoid 290 at all costs during daylight unless you want to meet the hillside strangler!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
packrat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oddjob
St. Francis?

Only about another 6 weeks (Apr 21-23rd) and there will be streams of 944s and 911s heading up hwy 10 to BIR for First Fling.....
oddjob, yup, 3 miles from downtown St. Francis

BIR! wow, I was wondering when a BIR event was being held. Post/pm me any info on that. A lot of memories of that place . Worked a few summer's there on weekends on the safety crew ....... and a few as a spectator I can hardly remember, LOL!

Quick Reply: Well its official, Im driving ol' yeller back to MN