Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Weltmeister Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 AM
awhite_nz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Weltmeister Harness Bar

Hi all,

I am looking at putting one of these in my car. Does anyone have one of these installed who could share their thoughts on them? Has anyone ever actually had a crash with one fitted?

Also do the Autopower roll bars fit to existing points or do holes need to be drilled?

Thanks
Al
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awhite_nz
Also do the Autopower roll bars fit to existing points or do holes need to be drilled?

Thanks
Al
You will need to drill. AFAIK, the only bar that fits without drilling is the Redline Rennsport bar.

edit: clarification, when I say "bar", I'm talking about a "roll bar", not a harness bar.

Last edited by shiners780; 03-22-2006 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

The old c-pillar welt harness bars are crap - do not use them. Not sure if they have updated the design, but I dont think so.

Approx 1" diam thin tubing with thin plate for mounting to the rear seat shoulder belt mounting points on the c-pillar. By far not strong enough to anchor the belts. And ineffective as a guide bar, since there is nothing practical to anchor the belts to behind this c-pillar bar.

Best setup would be to get a b-pillar guide bar and run the belts down the the rear seat lap belt mounting points.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
You will need to drill. AFAIK, the only bar that fits without drilling is the Redline Rennsport bar.
Heigo (Germany, been around for ages in EU) makes a 'club sport' bar that bolts to existing mounting points, very much like the Redline bar. It is quite expensive however. I think FVD are Heigo's only U.S. supplier.
As Al is in the UK he should take a look. Heigo Clubsport bar
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Heigo (Germany, been around for ages in EU) makes a 'club sport' bar that bolts to existing mounting points, very much like the Redline bar. It is quite expensive however. I think FVD are Heigo's only U.S. supplier.
As Al is in the UK he should take a look. Heigo Clubsport bar
I've never seen that before, thanks. I don't read German, what mounting points does that use? It still looks like you need to drill based on where the feet go. No?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heigo (via FVD) says it bolts to the existing belt takeup points. I can see that for the front 'feet' but can't visualize the rear mounting; hard to tell from the pictures. As Al is in the UK he will have an easier time finding someone local with this bar, Heigo is not common in the U.S.
FYI the bar is FIA certified.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I had one a few years ago. It attached to the c-pillar seatbelt mounting points - no drilling required. There are giudes added to the cross bar for the shoulder belts - which then attach to the lower seatbelt mounting points. It's marginally better than using the stock seatbelts and allows for a 4/5 point harness. I had to drill a hole in the tunnel to mount the right side lap belt.

I saw a guy in a 951 put his car into the tire wall hard at Mid Ohio a few years ago. The car ended up on the roof and was totaled. He only had the harness bar with a 4-point harness - and walked away uninjured.

I'd say the harness bar definetly helped and maybe even saved him from serious injury - who knows. The best advice is to buy the best safety equipment you can afford - because sh*t happens.

I think the Autopower roll bar / cage comes in either bolt-in or weld-in - check their web site. Either way, unless you go with a bar that fastens to the factory seatbelt mounting points (Autopower does not), you will have to drill/weld new ones.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here tis one
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Brey Krause makes are really nice bar, tho it is somewhat expensive.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 AM
awhite_nz
5th Gear

Thanks for all the advice guys, what a great response. Think I need a Porsche parts shopping trip to the States, you guys have loads more kit available over there (plus its cheap!!!).

Ken, the Heigo bar looks good and the price not too bad for the UK. Not sure about the rear bars either, especially with the cross piece on them?
If you look at another one which is for the 968 ClubSport on their site it makes more sence and it fits the 944 as well I think 968 CS Bar
Ill let you know how I get on.

Cheers (these things are cool!)

Al.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 AM
awhite_nz
5th Gear

Just rang Heigo, the bar Ken linked to is bolt or weld (ie you need to make holes to fit the rear legs), but the other Club Sport bar is all bolts to the seat belt mounts. Rear struts to the C pillar as in Redlines. More expensive of course!!!

Al
Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Al, I linked the wrong photo, no wonder the rear mounting points looked strange. My discussions with Heigo/FVD were specifically about the Clubsport bar.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Motation
Advanced

What is the price of the Club sport bar?

Quick Reply: 944 Weltmeister Harness Bar