Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 Clutch Replacement Problem PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Alpine_Racer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 944 Clutch Replacement Problem PLEASE HELP!!!

hi, i removed the tranny, pushed the torque tube back, loosen all of the clutch housing bolts. There is a section where you have to unbolt the clutch lever shaft bolt then you screw in an 8mm bolt and hammer it out. This is the procedure before you can remove the clutch housing.

I tried using water pumps held it very tights hammer it, pryed it with a heavy duty screw driver and it won't budge, i even tried to use a heat gun to heat where the shaft exits.

PLEASE HELP

EMAIL : powerkarve@aol.com

You can message me at these messengers
aim: kcheung007
msn: kcheung98@aol.com
Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a really long bolt, clamp a visegrip under the head, and pound it out with a hammer. I believe some guys have also done a small homemade slide hammer using the bolt and socket. That bolt can be a pain, just keep at it.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That one can be a real pain in the ****. Soak it with PB blaster or liquid wrench for a few days. I use a pair of large vice grips on the bolt and have made an adapter to get my slide hammer on the end of the vice grip. You might also try carefully heating the bellhousing around the shaft exit with a propane torch. Be careful not to overheat the aluminum though...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup you need a LONG bolt or better yet some threaded rod with a nut on the end. Clamp vice grips on after its threaded in, and wack the vice grips with a hammer.

The little locking bolt is out right?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If the bolt is your problem, try PB Blaster. If it's the fork rod that won't come out, try getting a longer 8mm bolt from OSH or something. I just pulled, twisted, and swore. I think taking the clutch slave cylinder out helps a little.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Alpine_Racer
Track Day

slave is out, the lock bolt is out... i wacked it a few times with a hammer a few times having water pumps clamped on.... there isn't much space there move a hammer back and forth. Crap doesn't move. is there some kind of puller or something?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Alpine_Racer
Track Day

will a slide hammer really get it out? i know what it is but it doesn't seem like it gives enough force, tried using a bolt with a bunch of sockets and tighten it to try to act like a puller and pull it out but it didn't seem to move. i was worried if i do it too much i would of broken the clutch housing because it's aluminum, so i stopped.

QUESTION: can i just forcefulling ratchet the bolt and turn it until it's moving? there's no flats on the top of the shaft right?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 PM
RM512
Racer

Find a nut and washer to fit your 8mm bolt. You will also need a sleeve, something with an inner diameter larger than the lever shaft. Thread the bolt with the nut washer and sleeve into the lever shaft.
Then tighten the nut against the washer and sleeve and it should 'pull' the shaft out. Kind of hard to explain without a drawing.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

You could try turning it as the flat is only at the bottom where the lock bolt goes against it. However, be careful because some people have broken off the 8 mm bolt doing this. If you have the car up high enough, you should be able to get a decent size slide hammer under there. Sorry I don't have any pictures. The other alternative is heat. The corrosion between steel and aluminum can make for a real tight fit. Expanding the aluminum will help.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RM512
Find a nut and washer to fit your 8mm bolt. You will also need a sleeve, something with an inner diameter larger than the lever shaft. Thread the bolt with the nut washer and sleeve into the lever shaft.
Then tighten the nut against the washer and sleeve and it should 'pull' the shaft out. Kind of hard to explain without a drawing.
This really works. I got a couple bronze bushings @ Sears Hardware and did this trick.

A slide hammer would work, but I usually don't have the car high enough to get one under there. The vise grips/whacking it out with a hammer works but is a PITA.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I'll put in a second for "drawing" the shaft out with the bolt/washer/sleeve set up. We tried for hours to hammer it out.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had trouble with that shaft too. The trick is what theedge said...get a long enough rod so you can swing the hammer hard & fast enough. The length given in the factory shop is too short IMO. I had to buy a 18in long metal rod and tap M8 threads on the ends. Then clamp vise grips and a large washer w/ bolt on the end.....it came right out with a few whacks of the hammer.

Tom
'87 951
Old 04-01-2006, 06:32 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpine_Racer
will a slide hammer really get it out? i know what it is but it doesn't seem like it gives enough force, tried using a bolt with a bunch of sockets and tighten it to try to act like a puller and pull it out but it didn't seem to move. i was worried if i do it too much i would of broken the clutch housing because it's aluminum, so i stopped.

QUESTION: can i just forcefulling ratchet the bolt and turn it until it's moving? there's no flats on the top of the shaft right?
that was my method, and it worked great, i think its underestimated how much kinetic energy goes strait to the shaft, but it came out pretty easily with a slide hammer (after failing the bolt and plier method)

Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh, Crap!! Here I go again. I thought working the steering knuckle off and on (oil pan gasket R&R) was fun and now that my rear main seal needs replacement, I just know that this is goiing to be fun. Time for another Post.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It's inevitable..you have an oil leak and it's hard to tell if it's coming from the rear pan gasket or RMS. Unless you remove the engine you have to make a choice and do one or the other. I'll bet the percentage of us who have to go back in and do the other one is greater than 50%...

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Clutch Replacement Problem PLEASE HELP!!!