Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad starter solenoid and loud rattling

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 02:24 AM
Sajid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bad starter solenoid and loud rattling

i just bought a 944 with a bad trans. The trans is actually out of the car right now. It was starting for me
initially, and after alot of dead ends, i figured it out. It was a bad solenoid on the starter. I just bypassed that
and it started up for the first time since i bought it. But its making a really loud grinding sound. It hasnt been
started for a few months at least. I checked the oil and all the other fluids and they seemed fine. Is it making
that racket because i dont have a transmission in the car right now? Are things spinning around a bit too
freely w/out the trans? I pressed the clutch and the sound changed so i think it might have something to do
with that. I know this is probably to abstract to diagnose, but any thoughts would be appreciated. What kind
of symptoms do you look for from a car that has been dormant for a few months? Also, where can i find some good intstructions on how to replace the bad solenoid. And how much do they cost?
Old 09-09-2001, 03:45 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to Rennlist!

With the clutch engaged, you are spinning the drive-shaft (inside the torque tube). Since you're starting out with a car that has tranny trouble, it may be good to assume there is an old or even bad clutch in there. If this is non-turbo, and the clutch is original, then it is of the rubber-center variety. These are a common week point in the 944 drivetrain, as the rubber cracks and disintigrates. It is recommended that you replace this with the spring-centered type clutch from Sachs. On to your noise: suspect would be the throwout bearing for that racket you are describing (remembering it is very hard to diagnose sounds without being there). It could also be related to the 3 bearings in the torque tube, though less likely. An easy check for the health of the rubber center (since you have the tranny out) is to grab the end of the drive shaft and turn it with the clutch engaged... if it turns more than a degree or two, then your clutch needs replacement. The good news is you're starting without a tranny, so that knocks off at least one third of the work. Overall, the throwout bearing will make a heck of a racket if worn.

Regarding the solenoid, I'm not sure you can get that part separately... usually have to order the whole starter as a unit. If you can find it separately, the part# should be 951.604.902.00. The manuals show this as a part of the starter part# 951.604.101.00. You might try a dismantler if you're looking for used... 944 Ecology, OK Foreign, or Parts Heaven are good choices and easy to find contact info using Google as a search engine.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2001, 11:12 AM
Sajid
Racer

Thanks for the info, ill take a look into it further. Should i not start my car in the mean time? Will things get screwed up more if i let the engine run? If it does turn out to be the bearings, how hard is it to replace and how much will it cost?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:35 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the pinion gear on the starter retracting all the way? That can make a real racket but usually doesn't last for long before the offending parts self-destruct.

As far as starter solenoid goes, that is a very standard part in the starter rebuild/repair biz. You can take your starter into a local starter/alternator shop and have the solenoid and pinion gear replaced (which is a good idea) for about 50 or 60 bucks including labor.

May take them a day or two to find the pinion gear because we are about the only car that uses that starter body that rotates in the direction it does. (I think this might be a reason the complete starters are such a frickin rip-off - everyone knows it is for a Porsche 944.)
Old 09-09-2001, 11:47 AM
Sajid
Racer

How can i check to see if the pinion is retracting or not?
Old 09-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Sajid
Racer

How can i check to see if the pinion is retracting or not?
Old 09-09-2001, 12:33 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can see it from any of the inspection holes, but I don't remember. Sticking pinions usually make more of a screeching noise rather than grinding. And pushing in the clutch shouldn't change the sound much unless you are changing flywheel RPMs.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Dear Sajid: Take the starter out of the car, and take it down to a local AutoZone or an Advance auto parts..they have a test bench that they will test your starter on for free. If the pinion is sticking, it won't extend all the way into the nose cone housing. It will be able to be seen while the test is being run. The test bench should also give you amperage readings for you to see..it should be about in the middle of the range of the amps provided by the tester...If it tests out OK, then you may have a release (throwout) bearing problem, or maybe bad bearing in the torque tube. Have you been driving the car for a long time?
Thanks, Tiger 03447

Quick Reply: Bad starter solenoid and loud rattling