Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a KLA sub box for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
White Pony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zporsche944
Fosgate Punch < Crap
Fosgate Power > Crap
JL Audio > Fosgate Power
AudioBahn External > JL Audio
Kicker Solo X ~= AudioBahn External
Please shut up. I'm sure there is a Kicker Solo X 8" sub he's gonna cram in a less than one cu ft box... And Audiobahn is one of the most poorly concieved mediocrely performing company as a whole on the entire audio scene. I'd take a Digital Designs orTC Sounds or JL Audio anyday over Audiobahn.

Newer Rockford Fosgate is unfortuantely unremarkable. They spent much more money on bling than they did buildhouse quality. It's not a BAD sub at all though, they still work fine. The subs that come in the KLA boxes are OLD (probably quit making them 10 years ago at least) but still gold. I had a pair of the 15's back in the day and the sound quality was marked for an entry level sub. Rockford Fosgates old Power and punch series with paper cones were GREAT woofers. I own several of them still.

THere are alot of options out there for 8" subs that will really impress though. If you can, find a DD1008, or a Digital Designs 1000 series 8" subwoofer. They have alot of SPL potential and WILL out perform many 8" subs out there.

A couple links to little known companies:
Ascendant Audio: Assassin 8's $45 http://www.ascendantaudio.com/
Digital Designs: DD1008 $unknown you gotta call http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/w...p?series=1000a
Tang band: Great little subs! http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-854
Soundsplinter RL-8i the 8W7 beater. http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_ign...r_drivers.html
Old 06-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Just to add to opinion, I'm running 2 Kicker Solo 8"s in KLA cubby boxes and think they sound very good. Construction and fitment of the boxes are very good. 8"s are not going to pound, but they certainly add enough low end to please the ear. Combined with Polk component sets and 1100 watts of Kenwood power, the whole system sounds great and works well together.

Just my two pennies.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:24 AM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Just to add to opinion, I'm running 2 Kicker Solo 8"s in KLA cubby boxes and think they sound very good. Construction and fitment of the boxes are very good. 8"s are not going to pound, but they certainly add enough low end to please the ear. Combined with Polk component sets and 1100 watts of Kenwood power, the whole system sounds great and works well together.

Just my two pennies.

Like these?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:21 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropping any old sub into a box designed for another brand/type is not a good idea. Boxes should be design using specific parameters (of which there are many). Even a high-end speaker in a poorly designed box will sound like crap.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kwdrus
Dropping any old sub into a box designed for another brand/type is not a good idea. Boxes should be design using specific parameters (of which there are many). Even a high-end speaker in a poorly designed box will sound like crap.

Good advice, nobody ever thinks about that.

Also, bear in mind not everyone has the same tastes in music. Alot of mainstream and specialty subs are designed for big BIG BOOM that is typical of the musical interests of today, Hip Hop. If you are into jazz, classical, opera or anything else off the mainstream, you won't need/ want the huge excursion lengths and gigawatt power capabilities. You want linear, wide response with high sensitivity.

Just my 2 watts!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Good advice, nobody ever thinks about that.

Also, bear in mind not everyone has the same tastes in music. Alot of mainstream and specialty subs are designed for big BIG BOOM that is typical of the musical interests of today, Hip Hop. If you are into jazz, classical, opera or anything else off the mainstream, you won't need/ want the huge excursion lengths and gigawatt power capabilities. You want linear, wide response with high sensitivity.

Just my 2 watts!
Actually, many sound quality oriented subs have alot useable excursion for increased headroom (can make a larger sounding sound with a smaller cone displacement) and better kick. This makes them able to play clear and accurate at any volume.

One thing you will wnat to look at also is the xmax ad the xmech of a sub if you can. If the xmax (maximum play excursion) and the xmech (maximum movement of the cone before it reaches it mechanical limit) if these two are close or the same the sub can bottom out easily and it gets very annoying when played at high volumes. Think about it, this is one or two 8" subs here, you are probably going to have push them around a little bit to get adequate bass response to get adequate bass.

Also the performance of a speaker is very dependent on the amplifier which drives it, bass boost settings cranked too high often make it sloppier and excessive gain can cause distortion and clipping. Ohm loads, rms power to adequately drive the sub are important considerations on your sub amplifier.

In a small sealed enclosure, (such as the KLA box which we are talking about) if the sub you find alternatively has a sealed box requirement that is close or matched the internal size of the KLA box, then it will work fine. A well concieved and planned system should sound good with all types of music.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by White Pony

Like these?
Just like them!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:51 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like JL even if they are crap. Best i ever had was an Xtant sub and amp in my first supra, played very well...had a JL in my last supra, it was pretty good as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sound Splinter looks awesome, and the W7 is, but will the fit in a KLA box, which is what is in question here? How deep a sub can they fit. What is the KLA box volume? What is it after you put in a sub that is that big?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
I figure its a long shot, as most people probably want to keep theirs, but if anyone has one of the KLA sub boxes for one of the rear cubbies and you'd like to get rid of it, let me know.

I have one I'll sell ya.......
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bart1
That sound Splinter looks awesome, and the W7 is, but will the fit in a KLA box, which is what is in question here? How deep a sub can they fit. What is the KLA box volume? What is it after you put in a sub that is that big?

The W7 is a monster, won't fit in my box because of the shape it has to be to fit in the cubby......
Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Emailed you this morning, Scott.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Replied.......fyi for everyone else......the box is .23 ft^3
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Originally Posted by slevy951
Replied.......fyi for everyone else......the box is .23 ft^3
Is that the volume without a speaker in it?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kwdrus
Is that the volume without a speaker in it?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a KLA sub box for sale?