Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Am I the only one with reat seats like this???
Cripes! That looks really good!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm. those look like the carrera rear seats to me! did your car come like that? if not, thank your PO alot
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Am I the only one with reat seats like this???
Arash,
Is that your 968 or 944?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Late 968's came with those rear seats
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

necessito templates.

seriously, how long do you expect it would take from undertaking to completion assuming you had the carpet and all the stuff you needed?

maybe we can get a rear-seat-delete party going and roger will pay for your beer.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Looks great Steve! Once Its not melt-your-brain hot out, I'll have to come by to check it out.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

damn i like that a LOT Arash...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

That looks really nice. Do you know how much weight you got rid of on the seat back?

I might have to look for a junked seat back to do that with. I'd like to keep my stock one whole since I've not seen too many burgundy w/porsche script.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arash- that looks just like a 968 cab I remember from what back, where the guy deleted the rear storage bin & replaced it w/a bottom cushion & seatbacks like that- I mean it's almost identical... I didn't know later 968's looked like that though- that's new to me, but I haven't been around tons of 968's, so... ninefiveone- is that for sure...?

Steve- excellent work... what is "nuprene" & where can I get it...? When we talked on the phone awhile back, I thought you were talking about "neoprene" - I had a pad made of it that was used as a camping matress- you know, the thin things people put under their sleeping bags- I don't think it's the saame stuff now, b/c you said the nuprene is used for sound deadening on airplanes, so... Anyway, that's really cool looking- can't wait to see the final results... excellent work- I might want to get some of that template from you- eventually, I might want to mimmick the 911CS- almost like 968CS, only w/a vertical trim piece...

The one below w/the oval cut-outs is a fellow Rennlister custom job- I like the oval cut-outs a lot too... The 968CS (I lost all my pics of those) don't have the vertical piece- just the top board... Hey Steve, are you going to put some sort of lip at the front edge of the top board, to sort of keep things from sliding forward into hte backs of your seats? If so, how are you going to tackle that one...?
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
...Steve- excellent work... what is "nuprene" & where can I get it...? When we talked on the phone awhile back, I thought you were talking about "neoprene" - I had a pad made of it that was used as a camping matress- you know, the thin things people put under their sleeping bags- I don't think it's the saame stuff now, b/c you said the nuprene is used for sound deadening on airplanes, so... Anyway, that's really cool looking- can't wait to see the final results... excellent work- I might want to get some of that template from you- eventually, I might want to mimmick the 911CS- almost like 968CS, only w/a vertical trim piece...Hey Steve, are you going to put some sort of lip at the front edge of the top board, to sort of keep things from sliding forward into hte backs of your seats? If so, how are you going to tackle that one...?
Nuprene is a sound dampening product standing for New Neoprene. It's made of both closed and open cell foam. It's 1/8" thick. I bought mine again on eBay from the same guy who's been selling it for 2 years now. I paid $.66/sq. ft. compared to $1.38/sq.ft for the same product at: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...proofsheet.php

You have to use a spray or brush applied adhesive to attach it. It can be used in the doors and cubbies if you stick the open side down. It should work well to reduce resonance and reflected sound in sheet metal. I don't think I will use it under the carpeting though; the foil faced matting would quiet those areas and reflect heat much better. As far as the 'edge' to stop packages I've ordered a brushed SS bar used on cabinets. There is also a standard raised lip on the backside of the upper seat back that will probably be adequate enoughwithout a rail. I'm not sure how I'm going to do templates. I only have them for the wood parts and facing carpet so far. The carpet glued in the seat buckets isn't done yet so I'll see what I come up with for patterns.

I'm not sure if there is any interest but I was considering selling a kit with the wood all cut, holes drilled, assembled, and all padding/carpet precut for immediate installation as a unit. Options could be solid front, vented front, or speaker cutouts. I figure the kits will weigh about 12-14 pounds. Any thoughts on that idea?

Last edited by KuHL 951; 07-25-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=KuHL 951]Well I started stripping everything for the project yesterday and have all my dimensions down. Many people have done this with just removal of the hinged upper section, seat bottom, and adding carpet. My project will use the stripped upper section with a carpeted front to attach my amps. The old seat area will have a built up front like the 968 Cab w/ rear seat delete with carpeted bottom. I really want secure storage for my cameras and such and with the upper section down no one can see the amps. I have several panels of anodized aluminum with large 3/4" cooling holes to insert in the vertical section from the floor up to keep the amps cool if the rear section is folded down. I plan to do a photo history if I find time.. The sub goes into the RR cubby with mid bass speakers replacing the rear 4"x6" speakers. I think this is going to be a pretty enjoyable project so far but we all know how that goes. Just thought I would share because I cut my leg badly about an hour ago and have to call it quits, but my fingers still work

BTW: Xylene will remove any adhesive Porsche used and dissolve foam rubber that sticks to metal or wood.[/QUOTE

please document the dimensions, and materials that you use. Be careful with that Xylene in such a tight space. That crap is seriously toxic...but I know that you know all that chemistry crap already. I want to do a custom thing to mine, so I'll be watching this thread.
Thanks,
E.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I've made patterns for everything so far so anyone with a tommyhawk, a sharp clam, and the ability to climb into small caves can do the same thing.
IS there any way you can get the measurements out here somewhere on the net? This looks fun...

OH, and where'd you get the carpet?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
please document the dimensions, and materials that you use. Be careful with that Xylene in such a tight space. That crap is seriously toxic...but I know that you know all that chemistry crap already. I want to do a custom thing to mine, so I'll be watching this thread.
Thanks,
E.
I use a 2 -filter VOC mask with a large fan on the rear deck pulling air in through the doors and sunroof. My eyes don't even water. I also use a coffee can of xylene with a sealed top to clean my contact cement brush. And yes, I am very careful with any solvent. I'm more concerned about using spray contact cement in confined spaces; I prefer a brush or roller to keep airborne particles down.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Here's the speaker box that i made, minus the carpet.
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

That seat delete is looking great. I tried a few months back, and the carpet is coming unglued. When I redo, it may have to be off of your plans.

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method