Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also working on this, but in making a usable top hinged storage space rather than a speaker box. Because I am **** about the details and flat out refuse to do anything irreversible to the car, it is taking time.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patrat
I am also working on this, but in making a usable top hinged storage space rather than a speaker box. Because I am **** about the details and flat out refuse to do anything irreversible to the car, it is taking time.
It's 100% reversible.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 AM
Daily944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I'm not sure if there is any interest but I was considering selling a kit with the wood all cut, holes drilled, assembled, and all padding/carpet precut for immediate installation as a unit. Options could be solid front, vented front, or speaker cutouts. I figure the kits will weigh about 12-14 pounds. Any thoughts on that idea?
I would be interested in the pattern of the front panel(where you mounted the cooling vents). As I have a slightly different idea for the top panel.

As for a kit all ready to install, I'm sure there would be plenty of interest on these boards and on Pelican.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any ballpark idea what you'd be charging for the kits? If the price is resonable I would be interested since some ******* stole my table saw and alot of my wood working equipment.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve- that's beautiful... you could definately sell some kits of that....

Can you get me in touch w/the same guy on the Nuprene? How thick is it? The Neoprene I have is >1/2" thick & weighs next to nothing. Also, which of the Nuprene style would you recommend for me since you know what I'm trying to do...? You know, hear a pin drop at 150mph...

Oh yeah, in several of the pics, you have the top panel w/the amps attached, flipped upright & held up by the big bolts in the sides of the panels that held the seatback up... This is the way you plan to keep this, right.....? And that is the reason why you did the wooden back FROM the seats, so you could keep it hinged, easily, etc, right...? This is one thing I wasn't 100% clear on.... if ripping a rear seat apart for that was more for ease of fitment (so you didn't have to cut something else), or filp-up ability or BOTH...? Either way, it's really looking good & I'd say it's lighter than any of the CS style backs too as they used really thick particle board type wood- the 968Cab thing weighs almost as much as the entire rear seat assembly w/belts, etc- too bad b/c they're really cool & that hollow little metal rail is perfect to keep things from sliding forward.

thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
..Can you get me in touch w/the same guy on the Nuprene? How thick is it? The Neoprene I have is >1/2" thick & weighs next to nothing. Also, which of the Nuprene style would you recommend for me since you know what I'm trying to do...? You know, hear a pin drop at 150mph...

Oh yeah, in several of the pics, you have the top panel w/the amps attached, flipped upright & held up by the big bolts in the sides of the panels that held the seatback up... This is the way you plan to keep this, right.....? And that is the reason why you did the wooden back FROM the seats, so you could keep it hinged, easily, etc, right...? This is one thing I wasn't 100% clear on.... if ripping a rear seat apart for that was more for ease of fitment (so you didn't have to cut something else), or filp-up ability or BOTH...? thanks
PM sent on the Nuprene source. I stripped the upper back seat because it's useless without a bottom section and yes I wanted it to stay hinged like before to conceal the amps. The wood Porsche used was basswood and it's really pretty light, I was surprised. I didn't really need to add the lower extension on the hinged piece other than to fill the gap left where the lower seat was when it's folded down.

BTW: For a good un-biased non-scientific evaluation of sounding proffing in a car the link below is a good read. Roby, your Polyken product came out very well!

Soundeadener Showdown
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a cool article... pretty long- will have to finish it later- I skimmed through some parts... which would you say is the same as the Polyken?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robby
That's a cool article... pretty long- will have to finish it later- I skimmed through some parts... which would you say is the same as the Polyken?
Glad you liked the article, I think the actual testing was great considering he took it upon himself to do it. When you finish the article you will see that the butyl/foil products were the best bang for the buck although many were thicker. The 45 mil Polyken would be similar to the "Damplifier" products but for much less. The open/closed cell Nuprene is similar to their "Overkill" line. Both of those 'professional products are from: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

A combo of both should be great. I used the thicker foil-faced padding for sound and heat puposes under the carpeted areas including the hatch area. Call me cheap but most bulk soundproofing materials can be found in for much less from other sources without all the labeling and brand name hype.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

I just nearly finished up my own enclosure. Fiber glassed a sub box into rear seat(MInus seats). Looks great. I will post a thread with all steps soon! Bumps like hell also!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
I just nearly finished up my own enclosure. Fiber glassed a sub box into rear seat(MInus seats). Looks great. I will post a thread with all steps soon! Bumps like hell also!
Looking forward to seeing your pics. I still need to take some of my project as promised. It's been done for over 3 months now and I haven't posted the finished product.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Am I the only one with reat seats like this???

No I have them. Came from a 94 968.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think those late-968 style seats are awesome. Another reason why I'll never go back!

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method