Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHT Color Dye - vinyl dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEM!!! Was: VHT Color Dye - vinyl dying

EDIT: new pics below!

With all the recent interior and dash threads, I am getting the urge to do something drastic. I've been reading up on dying vinyl, and have heard very good things about VHT, but I can't seem to find many before and after pictures, and definitely no P-cars yet in my searchs.

Anyone have pics to share?

If I do this, I'll try to make sure the process is well documented in case others are interested.

TIA!

Last edited by Cra$h; 11-29-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Old 09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Holy moly!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumble bee anyone?

/me hopes he doesn't have the exhaust to go with it
Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by billthe3
Bumble bee anyone?

/me hopes he doesn't have the exhaust to go with it

you'd **** yourself if you heard my exhaust.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgporsche
you'd **** yourself if you heard my exhaust.
lol, as long as it doesn't sound like a swarm of angry bees.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is VHT?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Cra$h,

Sorry, no data on VHT but I used SEM Colorcoat on my 968 door panels that you saw at the GTG and I'm really pleased with how they turned out and so far they've held up quite well.

Like most things, it's all in the prep. I used two different SEM products to prep the vinyl, SEM Soap and SEM Vinyl Prep and it worked like a charm.

What colors are you thinking about?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:19 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I used SEM Landau black on my 968 panels. Good many years later - lots of people have seen them.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgporsche
Awesome Jesse. Thanks for the pic. Were you starting from black, or another color?

Originally Posted by ehall
What is VHT?
It's a brand of paint that originally stood for Very High Temperature since they first started with engine and caliper and other high temp paint applications. They now have a line called Penetrating Color Dye which is meant for vinyl and carpet. It's supposedly night and day better than the Duplicolor stuff you see at Checker and Autozone.

Originally Posted by gregeast
Sorry, no data on VHT but I used SEM Colorcoat on my 968 door panels that you saw at the GTG and I'm really pleased with how they turned out and so far they've held up quite well.

Like most things, it's all in the prep. I used two different SEM products to prep the vinyl, SEM Soap and SEM Vinyl Prep and it worked like a charm.

What colors are you thinking about?
Ah. I just assumed they were original and in great shape. I guess that shows how good they turned out!

Were you able to find the SEM products locally or did you have to order them online?

As far as colors, I guess maybe my intentions aren't that drastic after seeing what Jesse did. I don't know how well you remember my car, but I did a carpet swap to black, and my lower dash and console are still beige (or light tan or linen? Don't know the actual color). I just wanted to do those sections in red that would reasonably close to the Guards Red paint. The one thing that I'm concerned about is the color ending up more orange than red given the lack of color variations from the VHT products, and whether the tan base will affect the final result. I was thinking of using the satin red, but I'm wondering if I should use the dark rose instead. Those are really my only choices with that line of products.

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I used SEM Landau black on my 968 panels. Good many years later - lots of people have seen them.
Good to hear. I definitely don't want to do all this work and have it start fading/flaking/etc. in a few months.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cra$h
Awesome Jesse. Thanks for the pic. Were you starting from black, or another color?
started from black. i didn't dye the vinyl though. i bought some vinyl paint from dupont. i took my millenium yellow paint to the dupont store and they matche dit.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cra$h
Were you able to find the SEM products locally or did you have to order them online?
I found everything at our local paint supply place in little old Loveland (Ed's Paint) so I suspect you can find it in Denver. I'm fairly certain that Painter's Supply on S. Santa Fe has them. Check the SEM Website for a list of Denver suppliers. They'll have a printed color chart, if IIRC there are several reds on there. Be sure and post pics, should be cool
Old 11-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregeast
I found everything at our local paint supply place in little old Loveland (Ed's Paint) so I suspect you can find it in Denver. I'm fairly certain that Painter's Supply on S. Santa Fe has them. Check the SEM Website for a list of Denver suppliers. They'll have a printed color chart, if IIRC there are several reds on there. Be sure and post pics, should be cool
I did this last month, and thought I'd finally get around to sharing a few pics. Thanks Greg for the link. I found out that the local Sherwin Williams automotive paint supply store carries SEM, so I just went in and picked up a few cans of the satin red. About $11/ea IIRC. I asked the guy if I needed any of the SEM prep products, and he said to just scrub it really well with some type of sink cleanser like Comet and rinse.

First pic is when I first got the car. Not so pretty, but then I did get it from a junkyard.
Second is after the carpet color change and the new seats.
Third is prep for spraying. Ideally you'd want to take the dash out, but with a little careful masking, there wasn't any problem.
Fourth is where I sacrificed a goat.
Fifth is the final result.
Attached Images      
Old 11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow Dave, looks excellent!

Are you still under budget for the GRM Challenge?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm not usually a big fan of black/red interiors, but yours looks really great! Looks OEM and not overdone

Quick Reply: VHT Color Dye - vinyl dying