Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trottle Response

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Response

My trottle response seems a little slow. I would like it to be a little more rapid. What causes it to be slow, I know about the MAF being stiff a little but I took it apart and it's very easy to move.

I have a small video clip that demonstrates how it behaves.

Video

My feeling is that it's not geeting enough air but how do I test this?

I tried starting the car with the air hose disconnected from the maf and it didn't even start.

Last edited by Sysgen; 10-20-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its called MOTRONIC! - you may be able to run a hotter plug- i know s2's always have a flooding problem that i think is due to the plugs being too cold and loading up quickly.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

I replaced my plugs about 1 month ago but I can't remember the exact number of the ones I replaced. What would you recommend and could it be something else. You seem to imply that all S2's have the same symptoms?

What's wrong with the Motronic?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Anyone?

Do all S2's do the same thing? Come on S2 owners, chime in.

Can the MAF (Barn Door) be replaced with something else? I know fast951 is working on one but at $950 I think I'll look at alternatives.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trottle response Now that is out of the way.

That is an interesting video. Can you adjust your TPS?

AFM=Barndoor
MAF=Hot wire etc (non mechanical)

On the AFM you can pop the top and adjust the track sweep.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
jbrill
Racer

My s2 does the same thing.. bit annoying eh?
Im also looking for a fix. Sorry i dont have any ideas as to what causes this
Old 10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Oups, didn't know the difference Then I meant the AFM, I did not see a way of openning it like you say. It looks sealed, except of course both ends but not much to see there. So how do I adjust the track sweep like you say? and I do not know how to adjust the TPS (Trottle Position Sensor I imagine) either.

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Trottle response Now that is out of the way.

That is an interesting video. Can you adjust your TPS?

AFM=Barndoor
MAF=Hot wire etc (non mechanical)

On the AFM you can pop the top and adjust the track sweep.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Oups, didn't know the difference Then I meant the AFM, I did not see a way of openning it like you say. It looks sealed, except of course both ends but not much to see there. So how do I adjust the track sweep like you say? and I do not know how to adjust the TPS (Trottle Position Sensor I imagine) either.
The afm on the s2 is upside down. You need to remove it and pry off the black plastic cover to access the track.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know the stock S2 throttle body size? I've had the same issue on my 951, and I've driven several other 944 variants that all seem to be the same way. I know the S2 TB is bigger than the 951's, however I've come to the conclusion (at least in my case) the TB is just too small on the 951, which is causing the "lag" to the throttle. That's my opinion anyways, especially seeing how other 2.0-2.4l 4cylinders are running anywhere from 60-70mm TB's just fine. If the S2's is 60mm or larger, than it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I think your right Derek, it is attached to a metal bracket and I guess if I'd remove that bracket I could have seen how to open it. I just don't know to remove that bracket.

When the weather's better I'll give it a try. I will also try to run with the AFM attched to the intake but detached from the air filter and I'll try to move the door and see if it makes a difference.

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
The afm on the s2 is upside down. You need to remove it and pry off the black plastic cover to access the track.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Well I gave it a try tonight, I've disconnected the AFM from the air filter and gave a couple of push on the trottle and I see no difference, the response is still very slow, you can hear, very well, a loud sound from the AFM sucking air in and playing with it doesn't make a difference. I've tried keeping it a little more open and then push the trottle, but no difference.

Also I tried opening it and their is no way this thing can be opened!!! Someone mentioned opening it to lubricate it a little but on the S2 it is sealed.

So I got busy wit something else, I decided to refinish my center caps that will go on my phonies once their finish. They were grey and very damaged, so I taped the gold center, sanded the exterior and gave it a couple of coats of paint and finished by a couple of coats of clear. I think they look great

Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem is the long intake runners and the AFM. all this added up is part of you lagging throttle responce..
then add in all the heavy motor parts, crank, flywheel, balance shafts. this all slows response down.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Those center caps look sweet!

I have picts at home of a turbo AFM opened up. It takes a little work ,but there is a little groove in the black cap that "snaps" over the cast of the AFM.
(there have been a couple of picts here on the list, but I can't find them)

TPS for turbo.(just so you know) I am not sure the S2 TPS has the same internal setup... http://www.arnnworx.com/tps-repair.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

So I get to start the car this morning and it starts but dies right away Ok what 'd I do wrong.

Well last night I tried to remove the male connector on the AFM to see what was in their and when I put it back I must have broke something. So I removed the AFM from the car again and this time I also removed the black piece underneath which is glued there with what seems silicon. And there you have it,
a nice little setup similar to what testarossa is referencing in the previous post.

I did take some pictures but they are at home. This neat little thing has some adjustements in there!!! So I took the chance and moved it a little and for the life of me, the car seems more responsive now. It's very small but it's there. I changed the adjustment so that the "door" is more open than stock.

I'll try to post pictures later for those interessted to see what's in there. Car runs great now

Edit: Here's some pictures

So I pryed that clip at the bottom and rotated the wheel one notch, couterclock wise.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

It looks like you might have some pretty decent grooves there.
You may want to bend the arm a little to have the contacts run on a new sweep.
Just make sure you bend it evenly so the distance out changes equally on all contacts.

Quick Reply: Trottle Response