Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:33 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise

Lately I have been hearing a strange noise from the rear of the car.
It only becomes noticeable when I am at low speed and passing a wall/thick vegetation etc.
It is a high pitched, tinny rattle. Other than my oil pressure staying higher than normal for longer, there are no indications of anything else wrong with the car.
I dont notice the noise when parked in the garage after starting.
  • something loose near exhaust
  • some oil issue
  • some sort of transmission issue
  • gremlins
  • it's a problem only encountered in the southern hemisphere when the temperature is greater than 30C
Ta
Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Bill.e1
Advanced

Beeg,
Tinny rattles usually require tin as part of the source plus contact and relative motion. The two most likely sources are brakes and exhaust. Try touching the brakes and/or pulling the emergency brake next time you hear the sound. If it goes away, then your problem is in the brakes/bearings.

It is common for the exhaust to shift and touch the chassis. Try grabbing the exhaust tip and shaking it. If you hear the noise, you found the source. You could also try using a wire (think coat hanger, not electrical) to pull the exhaust to one side or the other. Use this approach with caution as, if it works, you will be tempted to leave the wire in place. If anyone sees it, you will be mocked ;-)

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I second the exhaust thought there. My car was doing something simmilar to that right before my exhaust rusted out/cracked between the muffler and the cat back pipe. It was on the top part so I couldn't see it at all when I looked for it, but I could hear it when I move the exhaust around.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Beeg,

Are you sure its not the beer cans rattling around in the boot?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chipster
Beeg,

Are you sure its not the beer cans rattling around in the boot?
Chip
I'm hurt!
I never leave beer cans in the boot. Their all in the front passenger well!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually I had a similiar "noise" I could hear when the car was idling. Apparently, When I installed a cat-bypass the copper gasket/ring didn't seat properly and rattled. It drove me crazy so I took it off.

Chip

Quick Reply: Strange noise