Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
tk's944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal Question

I was just wanting to know how long it takes to remove a 944 engine?

The person that would remove it has alot of mechanical skills and all the tools needed.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
fork_included
Pro

depends how neatly you want to remove it, and if you want to remove it in pieces of as one whole thing with different wires cut off instead of being carefully screwed/disassembled.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to "yank" it out- a bit under 1 hour with airtools. Cut all wires and hoses, unbolt only t tube connection, motor mounts, radiator, torch cut exhaust, remove hood and apply lift.

Neatly- significantly longer, say 3 hours or so. Definately more if you've never done it before and you encounter the usual stuck fasteners. Slightly less if you're neat about it and things go perfectly.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951M
Just to "yank" it out- a bit under 1 hour with airtools. Cut all wires and hoses, unbolt only t tube connection, motor mounts, radiator, torch cut exhaust, remove hood and apply lift.
I am interested in this, too! Except I'd like to know what it would take to remove the engine through the top...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Long *** time. Look up my thread. For an n/a engine is a lot faster. From experience I could get a turbo engine out in about 4 hours. First time took me a long *** time. I am also too careful.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
tk's944
Pro

also someone told me that you have to remove the engine from the bottom of the car is that true?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
plyhammer
Pro

A lot easier to come out the bottom than the top (not from experience but from a ton of research). That is just my opinion. I just yanked my first one and wasn't too careful and it took about 6 hours. Now if I had to put that back in.....

tk. I am only 20 minutes from dayton, small world
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

For an N/A, I can do it in about 3 hours if I'm being quick, but also careful with everything, labeling nuts and bolts in baggies, etc. etc. For a turbo engine, it's another 2 hours I would say. (This is using air tools by the way. I love air tools )

It's MUCH easier for the engine to come out the bottom.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Out the bottom is easiest, but like I said, if there are no problems with stuck fasteners, you cut lines instead of unbolting etc, about 1 hour for an NA. Turbo would take a bit longer. This is how you strip a parts car in a salvage yard. If you are planning on reinstalling the engine and are being careful, again, about 3 hours if all goes well.

First step is to put the beastie up on jack stands as high as safely possible, remove hood, battery and begin unhooking stuff. Put upwards tension on the engine, remove crossmember and front suspension in as few parts as possible. When free of everthing but the t tube, pull the hoist forward to free the engine. Lower onto a sheet of plywood or a dolly and pull out from under the front of the car. It "can" be taken out the top but that's nowhere as easy as underneath.

The main keys either way, be methodical, drain fluids first, don't unhook or disturb anything you absolutely don't have to, and above all, be safe, you will be working under the car for part of this endeavor. Air tools are your friend!!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Whether the engine comes out the top or the bottom, the crossmember has to be removed so I always opted for the bottom. Try to get the car up at least 21 inches . You can get by with less height by removing the intake manifold first but it sure makes it easier with the car up high. Never timed it but plan on several hours.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Removing anything connected to the engine, like the intake man, wastes time. That kind of stuff is much easier to deal with outside the car.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

So basicly, your asking what "book" time is for engine removal?

Not sure, and don't even care. If your paying someone else to remove it, then, good luck. They can pretty much dictate it, depending on "their" experiences, just like ours.

I do all my own work. Mostly, anyway. I can remove an NA engine in less than 5 hours. Thats taking my time, by myself, mind ya. Start, to on the engine stand.

Soooooooooo! come on!!!.........whats the REAL question here?

Edit: NO, you don't HAVE to remove it from the bottom, but, thats what the "book" says, and, most experienced people have done, and prefer it this way. COUNT ON IT! Someday, I may even try it from the top, but, for me, it doesn't make sense however, NOT when I have no problem getting the car up that high and safe to work on.........without a lift, mind ya.

Those that don't take it out the bottom are either not very experienced, and VERY head strong, or can't figure out how to get the car up high enough to do so at home safely using common tools/stuff.

Oh oh, here it comes!

Quick Reply: Engine Removal Question