Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belts and water pump HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 AM
gotbenz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belts and water pump HELP!

hey i'm new to the porsche belts and water pump. I tryed to put it off until i saw a small drip comming from behind the plastic cover! So i psyched myself up only to get shot down. How far do i have to go to get the water pump off besides removing the belts?
Where are the three tensioner bolts?
Does the rear cover have to be removed completely?

*i've got the radiator out, fans out, balancer belt off, timing belt almost off(caught on the tensioner)

1988 924S
1980 Goldwing 1100
1976 Goldwing with 1100 upgrade
1972 Mercedes 250C
Old 12-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-05.htm

Your '88 924S has the spring tensioner i assume. The 3 nuts are kind of hidden from view but if you have the radiator out you can probably see them with a well angled mirror. There are two along the top and one along the bottom.

You will need to set the car at TDC and need to put in a flywheel lock. You then need to remove the 24mm bolt holding the pullies onto the crank shaft (this requires a 24mm deep socket and ALOT of leverage). The power steering and alternator belt pullies should come right off. The balance shaft and timing belt gears will probably require a gear puller. After those gears are removed, you can remove the rear timing cover (Which must be removed to get at the waterpump).
Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce Arn has a wrench for thwe rollers that also fits in the tensioner to pull it back so you can get the tension off the belt. That thin wrench is a must when putting it back together. The rolers should just slide off.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a "while you're in there" you might want to do the rollers and seals as well.

Another couple comments, pay very close attention to the balance shaft pulleys and how they're oriented. From your description I take it that the distributor cover is off as well. While you have the timing belt tensioner off, make sure it is clean and moves easily. Even so, don't trust it to set the tension correctly. You'll need either the Kriket or 9201 to do that. Also pay close attention to the clearances on the balance shaft belt to the rollers. Clark's Garage is a great help with info on how to do this.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do hope your following the proper procedures for doing this. Remember, this IS an interference fit engine. Set engine timing up first and properly and don't move cam or crank once belts are off. Hope you know this. Clark's garage. Study up. You'll do fine, just do the research BEFORE you go any further.

Yes, covers will all need to come off, and you will need some specialty tools, or the ability to adapt what ya have.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
gotbenz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aprecciate the help i've got sum flex time, so i'll keep doin research. i looked through the Porsche cd, Hanes, Clark's Garage, etc. i'm pretty sure i have all the tools except for the real tensioner(i have a knock off). But i'm basically at the point where i pull the spring tensioner off...

Quick Reply: belts and water pump HELP!