Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
martymyers
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head question

I took my head into shop to see if it was warped and it was .010. Now they told me that if the head is warped so is the cam. Is this true? And am I going to break the cam when I put every thing back together. Oh this is out of my 87 944 NA.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
joes
Racer

The cam rotates on it's centers, if it was bent it would be bent reguardless of the head is doing. You have been fed some Bulls#$%
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Bill.e1
Advanced

The cam isn't warped. The issue is alignment. A warped head is bent and the bend effects everything. Not a big deal on a small block Chevy with stud mounted lifters. However, overhead cam motors are more sensitive to alignment changes

Single cam 944's have a separate cam carrier. Theoretically, you could mill the top and bottom of the head and preserve cam bearing alignment. However, the lifter bores would be slightly skewed. If the missalignment exceeds the lifter crown, it would eat the cam lobes. Most shops won't do this since they can't guarantee the results.

If you had a matching number C-type Jag, it would make sense to straighten the head. This involves putting it in an oven (preferably with an inert gas shield) to relieve stress/ manage stress consentration and press it straight. You can be swimming in 944 heads for that kind of money.

Hope this helps.

Bill

We've got our first cold day here on the tundra. My daughter has my 944 since her car wasn't running right. Last time she had the 944, she parked illegally and it got towed. A red Porsche seems to draw more attention than a rusty Integra.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
martymyers
Track Day

Ok thanks for the info, Now how much can the head be milled before I run into serious problems?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:34 PM
MyNAPwnsYourTurbo
Banned

HEADGASKET!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM
MAD MAC
Instructor

Take it to another head shop please. Whoever you first took this to is a jk. My gasket started to leak and our local shop checked the head with a plane and said it was slightly warped. He sent me back to clean it up and then I took it back with the new gasket. and he told me he could cut it down to level and since the gasket is not a press gasket that it would be fine. I had the head back in an hour and on the road the next day. My car is even running better than before. So do yourself a favor and get a second or even third opinion. A good cyl head shop is where I would look first. I do not remember the measurement but it wasn't much.

Quick Reply: head question