Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat bolts... this is soo lame...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat bolts... this is soo lame...

Ok, long story short, I bought a project car for $1,300 bucks.

I've gotten the car running, and have replaced or repaired every piece in the interior except the dash (can't find one??). The previous owner REALLY ghetto'ed out this car. He tossed the original Porsche seats, and installed a pair of no-name "racing seats". What's worse is... he used machine screws to attach them to the frame... that's right... small machine screws.

Never the less, he somehow managed to actually rip the nuts clear out of the cages on the front two seat bolts on the drivers side.

Now, here's my question. I really don't want to have to damage this car further than the PO has... what would be the responsible way to fix this? I stil have 6 of the 8 nuts intact, and can use those. The only problem is that I seem to be lacking the bolts???

But the front two bolts, what would you guys recommend that I do? Should I weld studs in there? or should I attempt to put hardware clear through the floor boards?

Does anyone know where I can get new seat mounting bolts?

Thanks...

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Sped
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That car should only have 4 mounting bolts. I forget which size they are, but I believe theyre actually like 10MM head bolts or something.

The way we fixed it on the yellow car was by cutting out a small section from of the damaged part from a good parts car, and welding the thing in tight.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure they are 8M hex heads. Just bought a bunch from the local indy hardware store.

If not local, Google is your friend for metric fasteners. I see them cheaper online than local, but sometimes speed and supporting local business is better.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

M8x20 allen head bolts.

Early cars used 4 bolts, late cars used 6.

I think the best way to fix your problem is to have someone weld new nuts into the cages.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
M8x20 allen head bolts.

Early cars used 4 bolts, late cars used 6.

I think the best way to fix your problem is to have someone weld new nuts into the cages.

I know the later cars had these. When i bought the yellow car, they didnt have any of those, and they also wouldnt fit for *** in the holes.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Early cars use hex head bolts (4), not allen head. The bolts can be found at any hardware store, and the nuts as well, but as far as getting the nuts back into those cages, I don't have any clever ideas.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 AM
tomrc
Pro

I had a similar problem, I had someone try and weld a new nut but I guess it takes a whole lot of expertise because it didn't hold for long. Anyway, I wound up putting a bolt through the floorboard. You can just weld the rails to the floorboard, but that ruins the chance of ever getting the rails out again without screwing up the rails and the floorboards.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can you get another nut and have it tacked into the floorboard? I have a bunch of alan bolts-not sure which ones are for the seats though. Early cars prob have six bolts per side...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
sbyrne
Racer

I had the same problem - the seat track nuts at the front of the tracks on the driver's side were both spun loose. Took it to my favourite body shop and they welded in new nuts - acted like it was no big deal, not uncommon. Less than a hundred bucks, IIRC. This is a safety issue - not a place to scrimp!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:25 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sbyrne
I had the same problem - the seat track nuts at the front of the tracks on the driver's side were both spun loose. Took it to my favourite body shop and they welded in new nuts - acted like it was no big deal, not uncommon. Less than a hundred bucks, IIRC. This is a safety issue - not a place to scrimp!
sounds like a good idea to me, worth a shot
Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I think you'd be OK if you put some grade 8 bolts through the frame. Under the car I'd use a LARGE flat washer to distribute the load (should you have an accident) The grade 8 bolts are strong enough to withstand a lot of shear load. The washers would help to spread the "upward" force across a larger area of the floorboard. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks guys... I can do the welding myself. I thought about the bolts through the floor board, but man... I just can't forgive myself if I need to drill holes through the floorboard of a Porsche. A Ford Econovan (for a backseat), yeah... but a Porsche... ugh...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Default THANKS!!!

Thanks guys. I just wanted to respond to this with my update. I went through several cans of bolts that I have (from various cars / projects), and I found 6 perfect fine thread bolts that match the threading and size of the factory bolt holes perfectly. As I mentioned earlier though, the previous owner actually damaged and removed the two front seat bolts for the drivers side. Safety isn't anything I want to mess with, so I'll be using the 6 bolts I found to install the passenger seat, and the two bolt holes in the rear of the drivers seat, and then for the front two seats, I will reluctantly drill holes in the floor boards and bolt it to the grond like that. It's not really the way I wanted to go, but the previous owner really damaged that area when he ripped those nuts out.

I should have taken pictures before... but he used self tapping machine screws to install that aftermarket seat of racing seats.

Why would you install racing seats... in a car that you haven't changed the fuel filter on, since you've owned it... or any of the other maintenance items?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default A different sort of seat belt problem

Having already used the "thru the floor method" on the front left drivers seat rail bolt I now have a dilemna with the right front bolt. It backed out a couple of turns but now just spins freely with the nut still attached and the seat will not come out. I can go Hulk on it and just rip it loose from the floorboard then repair the damage some way that will still be usable but I am hoping for some less destructive ideas.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Der Cupmeister
Having already used the "thru the floor method" on the front left drivers seat rail bolt I now have a dilemna with the right front bolt. It backed out a couple of turns but now just spins freely with the nut still attached and the seat will not come out. I can go Hulk on it and just rip it loose from the floorboard then repair the damage some way that will still be usable but I am hoping for some less destructive ideas.

I've done this on another vehicle. My friend had purchased a BRAND new Chevy CargoVan for the SOLE purpose of JUST buying parts from the junkyard for his hobby, and for Home Depot / Lowes runs... (must be nice).

He wanted to have a bench seat installed, so he found a nice one in the yard.

I did basically what you said, but you have two options. You can always purchase nylon lock nuts. They rarely, if EVER, back out...

You can also, purchase castleated nuts and CAREFULLY drill holes through the bolt. You can then use a cotter pin.

Quick Reply: Seat bolts... this is soo lame...