Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Risoline

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:03 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Risoline

I have heard conflicting info on the use of Risoline and that it destroys the seals in the engine. Can some chime in on that.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

The 928 guys (used to?) use it to unstick lifters. I have not heard of it being used in a while. I would be inclined to try it if I got a stuck lifter, but only after an oil change with good 0w-40 oil and some careful driving, and then I would change the oil after the lifter unstuck to get the Riselone out. Not sure what else I might want to use it for. I do not think it would damage seals but I could see it removing gunk is protecting a bad seal.

If an engine is generally gunked up, several of my friends recommend Auto-RX. One has a high mileage supercharged Miata and has driven the car hard for at least a year since the Auto RX and it has not blown up. I have not tried it myself.

http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

-Joel.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Risoline myself a time or two

Destroys seals? Never heard that before. It isn't in the system long enough, as far as I know.
Kerosene, automatic transmission fluid, can, and will work as well most the time, IF used as prescribed,directed on the Risoline can instructions. In other words............don't drive the car with it in there, only used at idle, in the garage (within reason). I believe the Risoline is pretty much kerosene............anyway. Just note, there IS no such thing as "fix in a can". Your seals are gonna leak only because they are SHOT. Good luck!! just my .002.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Risoline