Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Wyotech Graduates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:47 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Wyotech Graduates?

Well, the Wyotech speaker came to our school yesterday. I have known about them ever since probably middle school. Well, I listened to the presentation and what they offer a little bit. I want to do something automotive related as I'm more auto smart then really book smart, but I'm not saying I'm completely dumb and the whole "school isn't for me thing". I know my ways around SolidWorks and AutoCAD and enrolled in drafting classes now, but mainly earn my auto things from the web and more hands on type situations. I have wanted to go the route of a 2 year community college to knock out the required classes like math 151 or whatever, then going on to KU for the rest of my 2 years and hoping to major in Mechanical Engineering.

I basically wanted to see if any of the board members have done the Wyotech program, where at, and what field they did. I'm obviously thinking automotive/gas engines and maybe body work later on. The diesel field isn't too much of what I want as it's mainly big semis and the like; but big bucks later on.

Also, if you have graduated from Wyotech, and used that to get your job, maybe detail what your job is and if the program taught you a lot of things needed for the job. I'll be needing to get down to brass tax, and start planning my life very soon. So it's either Wyotech or 2 year CC then onto 2 years at a University.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

never gone to wyotech and dont know anyone who has, but imho keep your original plan -go into mechanical engineering. the life of a wrench is tough. I think you will be much happier and more well off if you went into mechanical engineering. that and home grown engineers in the US are harder and harder to find every year -you wont have any issues finding a good job.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I did not get into college I would have done the Air Force, and if I didnt do airforce, I would have done Wyotech.
Nutshell: do mechanical engineering in college. If you do not get into college, I would consider it.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 AM
JayP
Pro

Try Mechanical Engineering... she ain't easy though. I enrolled in ME years ago, it just wasn't for me. None of the hands-on classes were available until I got to the upper-div classes. I hated that.

I went to another school for an Engineering Design BS. I had access to the machine shop, CNC, CAD, you name it.

If you go the ME route, a hands-on engineer is extremely valuable. I can't get these bookworms that have never got greasy.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to do Wyotech...by all means do it. Not everyone should go to the typical 4 year college institution. Seriously...do whatever you want to do.

It annoys me the amount of people who just say go to college for the heck of it. It's an exorbitant amount to pay for something that you don't want to do.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal last month...an editorial actually about the amount of people in college that shouldn't be in college, whether it be they were forced to go due to societal/parental pressure, or they're not cut out for it, or they just wanted to go for the party atmosphere. Vocational school graduates' salaries are on the rise and a lot of them make damn good money.

In the end, it's your decision. I'm 100% behind you (if that even means anything) if you want to do Wyotech.

That being said, I myself am in college and will be graduating next year with two degrees. Good luck
Old 02-11-2007, 02:37 AM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Mechanical Engineering is the way to go.

I'm approaching my senior year in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, and I've yet to have a hands on class. So far it's been more equation and math instead of engineering, but it all pays off.

Frankly, I don't take Wyotech seriously I consider it an option or alternative, but never as a career.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:48 AM
mein51
Racer

Another option is a mechanical engineering technology type degree, although I'm not sure if you can use that towards getting your PE. You'll get more hands on in the technology version with less emphasis on the analysis stuff. I love being an engineer, but always wish I had more experience with the manufacturing side - I've had to slowly pick it up along the way. Either way, go to college while you can. Go to as many college days where they give you an intro to different majors as you possibly can.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

I appreciate all of the input so far. The more I think about it, it does seem a little more logical to do M.E. as that's what I set out for in the first place. Not to mention it would be out of state tuition and all too far from home. I just didn't know if anyone here had possibly gone and if they could share input.

I really would prefer a hands on type deal with M.E. as not getting some hands on really seems like it would hurt your knowledge. I have planned on KU mainly because I know the school is good (sister a junior now), it's close to home, which also means no out of state tuition. My parents are already paying dearly for 4 years at KU for my sister, and if she went out of state it would have just been unreal. However, I need to figure out how to pay for college. My sister and I are both Juniors, so as soon as she graduates college, I will be in and it'll be a lot more payments, and my family (most for the fact of the matter) can't easily afford putting 2 kids so close together, through college. I need to find some good scholarships somewhere, as I won't even need to worry about M.E. if we can't afford to pay my way through.

You that are M.E.'s now, what exactly do you do in the field? I would eventually like to *possibly* be a CNC guy for some company in the automotive world making whatever is needed. I have just always been fascinated with the machines and would like to get payed to run them. So what do you guys do for your jobs now?

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Remember, there's nowhere you can go that you haven't learned how to go in time.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Garmize
4th Gear

Hey man, heres my 2 cents for what its worth. I have a duel degree in Mechanical/Industrial Engineering. I am currently working as a Process Engineer. I have worked for companies such as Sylvania,Intel and now W.L. Gore. I am a hands on guy all the way. I agree with JayP there are not many Engineers which actually go out and get there hands dirty while they are running DOEs and other types of experiments. I went to a 2 year CC first, which was much cheaper, more hands on and gave me a good understanding of what it took to become an Engineer. Its not easy (differential Equation Class ect..), but is well worth it. If you get a 2 year Eng Tech degree you can still have the opportunity to work as an CNC or design guy if you find the right job. I also agree that going into huge dept for a degree can some times be the wrong move depending on your motivation. If you are truly motivated for something you will be successful regardless of degree or not. The only difference is that with out a degree you won't have as many doors open and you might not make as much money, but you can definitely still be a successful manufacturing/product design/machine design person if this is what you want to do.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Garmize is right on the money.

I've been out 12 years now, with a BSME... took some time, and some less-than-desireable jobs just for the income - but now I'm working in Detroit, on cars, for Bosch. It's hard to find hands-on guys who know what the hell a brake caliper looks like or where it goes on a car. And that's just the start, for what we do: understand programming and logic, basic (Newtonian) physics and vehicle dynamics, what suspension tuning and tire changes do to cars, HOW TO DRIVE (HARD!), how to interact with a customer, how to work on cars, etc... few and far between that can hack that.

My advice - if you want to do the automotive thing, make sure you find a university with an SAE chapter, preferably with SAE Mini Baja, Formula Car, E85, Solar Car, etc projects, and get involved. Make the hands-on stuff a priority, get some autoxing time if you can, and you'll be headed in the right direction. Nearly all the guys I work with did Formula Car.

Say whatever you want about Michigan - Motor City is the #1 place to be in the USA if you're a gearhead!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I'm an ME senior, but I enrolled in the co-op program and have worked in real world environments in between school semesters. It adds a couple of semesters to your graduation date and you lose your summers, but the experience is invaluable.

I'm currently on my fourth work term and am with the drivetrain group. I have spent numerous days out at the prototype shop getting dirty and rebuilding transmissions. If you want to be a hands-on engineer, then you can find a job that will let you do that. Unfortunately many undergrad engineering programs are more concerned with formulas than hands-on projects.

If you want to be a CNC operator, then you don't really need an engineering degree. My brother just finished a 2 year degree at a local community college for mill,lathe, and CNC machining. He is now in the welding program for another 2 years.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

My brother went there about 10 years ago...PM me your info and I'll see if he can chat with you...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

you will find yourself with 4 years left after graduating either wyotech or CC if you don't have any connection with the ME degree. Atleast at my school, the ME course progression begins your first year. The first year classes are ME specific, pre-requisite for the next class, et-all for the entire course freshman through senior. I transferred from another ME school and added a year because I fell down on the course track. You should go talk to an undergraduate advisor in the ME department at KU to find out what you should do.

KU is an awesome school for MechE, they are consistently a top performer in the Formula SAE competitions.

If you are serious about ME prepare for some reallly long nights. I came home from the motorsport center at 4am today.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
marky522
Drifting

I read through the first couple posts on here and just stopped, if you watn to follow a career with Wyotech or the such go for it, I just graduated from UTI, Wyotech's main competitor, and what people are saying here isnt true, I have had multiple job offers fresh out of school starting at 40K, and was told that without issue I will be making 60K + in just a few years, that is from techs, not the liars at the school. What you do need to keep in mind is, your life as a tech is limited, make sure you have plans for the future, I am going to take buisness management classes in the future so i can move up to a Service Manager postion. You learn so much in school, I have hear that Wyotech isnt as demanding when it comes to following the rules as the UTI schools, but i watned UTI for the Porsche program.

my .02

Mark

Quick Reply: Any Wyotech Graduates?