Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Newb Questions, Want to get 944 back on road

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, good to know. I heard there will be a big Porsche/VW meet at G.E. park towards the end of the month. Well see how fast I can get this back on the road, really depends on the belt and pump job and if tools can be procured readily.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Well today I got some fresh gas in the tank, and uncapped the fuel rail and hooked up a hose so I could flush everything out in front of the fuel pump. After following instructions from Clarks garage I was able test the fuel pump. When jumpering the terminals all I got was a "thump" noise from the fuel pump. I could sit there and tap the terminals and make it go,thump thump thump, just wouldn't turn all the way over. I'm guessing the area the brushes touch has gunked up over the last 6 years and the motor just can get a full rotation. I have a fresh battery, everything else in the car electrical wise seems to be alive. I tried tapping the fuel pump a few times with my flashlight while it was jumpered, wouldn't budge. Promptly threw in the towel tonight after discovering a huge spider nest and a million baby spiders dangling above my face under the rear axle. I've decided to order a new fuel pump hoping that is my issue, I have good records on this car and as far as I know it has never been replaced.

Also found out my T splitter with integrated check valve was my problem with the passenger windsheild sprayer not working. The rubber seal in the check valve had deteriorated and caused it to stick shut.

Seems you can get a new Bosch fuel pump on Ebay significantly less than what most the vendors have them priced at. Anyone have experience with any of these Ebay vendors ?
http://tinyurl.com/nemwmm

Every hour I work on this car I end up with another 2 hours of work

Removing old nasty dampening material.

More wildlife, Spiders are getting gassed tomorrow.

The ironic thing is these wasps sting spiders and put pack them in their nests for the larvae to eat and nurture on.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one here with approx 25 miles on it if you want, I replaced it on the 86 turbo a week before it caught fire.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
luftpirate
Pro

YGPM
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Thanks to Mike for the fuel pump, found out tonight the reason I lost clutch pressure was a split and detiorated hose that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the fluid resevoir. One more thing off the list.

Last edited by luftpirate; 11-18-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Here's the nasty old fuel pump and line which I replaced.

Off for Belts & WP

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM
TNT25169
Instructor

I'm guessing in Oxford you're down at Miami? I have most of the used parts you need up in Ashland. Shoot me an email at APartAbove@aol.com and maybe we can work something out. I'm thinking I'm heading to OU to drop a trans off on tuesday so we may be able to save on shipping if you could meet me in Columbus. Just a thought.....
Old 11-17-2009, 03:33 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey man let me know if you ever need an extra hand in Oxford!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM
luftpirate
Pro

New seats!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Well tonight we got her fired up! I have to give a big thanks to my friend Dave who helped me with the belt/pump job. When I got home my shoes were covered with brake fluid, and confirmed I also have a leaking clutch master cylinder. Over the next few days I have a lot of things going on with minor repairs so Ill be posting up some more pics. I'm guessing the MS just needs replaced as its leaking on the inside around the boot, probably a bad seal on the plunger for the piston?

Also found out tonight the radio power is completely dead, tach does not work, passenger window wont budge, indicator lights are out on some gauges, fuel guage quit working at some point in the two months.

Last edited by luftpirate; 12-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Another night of breaking stuff...

Replacing a turn signal lens cover led to discovery off a badly corroded socket.
Socket could not be salvaged so I decided to replace the housing.
Replacing the housing led to removing the front bumper so I could remove the bumperette.
Attempting to remove the bumper pad led to broken bumperette mounting post
To make matters worst the mounting screws for the turn signal housing are permanently Kentucky thread locked into the bumper, so they are sitting over night with some penetrating oil.

I also have new rear bumperettes to install, figured the easy way was to pull the bumper to grind the nuts off the old busted posts. Ended up having to cut through a mounting stud on one of the rear bumper caps.

More fun to come, more parts needed

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Weekend update, removed my master cylinder, getting those nuts off is kind of a b*tch. Looks like my entire carpet pad on the drivers side is saturated with brake fluid :/ FYI the replacement MC from Pelican does NOT come with a new paper gasket (guess that's why its sold separate) - I'm just going to use RTV. Haven't pulled the carpet out yet but I'm going to try to pressure wash the carpet with de-greaser. Got my front bumper back on with working signals and had to do a stud repair on the bumperette which was easy by just drilling/tapping and JB-welding in a new one.

With the rear bumper off I found the *quality repair done by the dealer 15 years ago after a rear-ending.

Ground and brushed off the active rust and layed down a couple coats of POR15 (after Metal Ready prep) which does not like to flash in 15 degree weather. Also polished up the stainless tip with some fine steel wool.

I also had to cut a rusted stud on one of the bumper caps but found it to be an easy repair by just setting a new one an filling it in with epoxy.

Didn't make as much progress as I cared to this weekend mainly due to the weather and paint not setting up. More to come.

Last edited by luftpirate; 07-31-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work Erik. Can't believe the dealer didn't spray some rust protectant on there after the weld job!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Nice work indeed, and I noticed your list you have reseal hatch twice... this is fitting as the first time you do it will be a preparatory learning experience for the second try... I would leave them both in the list.. I will be doing my 3rd and final attempt this winter, and if you would like hold off a little while for your reseal and I will detail my lessons learnt and approach for the final kill...

This is an epic return to service... and I am loving every minute of it... I have done many of the jobs you are doing on my cars, and a few others cars, and have to say, you will truly love this car once it is done... spent Saturday afternoon assisting with a lower end re-assembly, had fun and feel we got quite a bit of work done...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Thanks, I will be holding off on the hatch, I still have to find the primer for the 3M sealant as well. It doesn't leak too bad so last on the list for now.

Quick Reply: Help! Newb Questions, Want to get 944 back on road