Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a welder...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a welder...

I'm tired of paying for the slightest bit of exhaust work, or being able to find someone who will even touch my exhaust for that matter. Does anyone here own their own welder? And, if so, what's a good one for <300 bones? Also, if I picked up something like this, as long as I had the proper wire, I wouldn't NEED to use gas, right?

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=aZiZT9AY

TIA,
Matt
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Use gas - that is if you want it to look nice.

I have a humble Harbor Freight mig welder, it's nice to have around for occasional work. At work, we have Miller everything, mig/tig/plasma cutter.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been using Miller welders for years and can speak very highly of thier quality. The gas (I use argon and CO2 mix) Isnt a must if your just doing exhaust work and you clean the area well. However you should use it and it will help the look of the weld alot. so use it if you can afford it.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always been impressed with the quality of miller equipment that I have used. I am however a welding noob so take my opinion as a grain of salt.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Step up to gas if you can afford it. Not only does it reduce splatter, it makes the welding process easier and much more enjoyable. Welding without gas can be frustrating at times.

I picked up a Millermatic 175 from http://store.weldersource.com/ . Welders last a long time, so get the best one you can afford or you will end up regretting buying a cheap one.

Miller has a great forum for racing and auto welding here:
http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...isplay.php?f=3
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. All I'm really interested in is welding up some exhaust pipes and being able to fix any cracks that arise. Not too concerned with look. I have not had a single crack since I installed those exhaust braided flex couplings (which are GREAT), but I have some more exhaust work to do (replace resonator with test pipe, actually getting a high flow cat, going with supertrapp, etc).

Thanks for the great posts.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln are good choices. If all you are looking at ever doing is body work and exhaust work you should be fine with a 110V light duty but if you ever intend to weld anything thicker than 3/16" get a 220V one. Which ever one you go with I recommend getting one that has a fully adjustable heat and wire feed as opposed to the ones that only have like 5 settings.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humm.........well, I have two welding machines, and have been around the "welding" world" for quite a while. I......am NOT a welder myself. It IS an art and an experience in itself. IT SURE IST'T as easy as you may be thinking. Can you do it, yourself? SURE!! ya can. You want it right, and looking good? Pay the price, OR, learn thru the school of "hard knocks". Mig welder is what you should consider, however, light metal/sheet metal welding WILL involved using "gas". If you don't have this part down, then keep asking questions, and learning BEFORE you go into this!!

Tig welding is probably the best things "for some" things.............mig for others.........automotive........ect. ............. Goober welding has been done by me, and many others in the process of "learning".

In other words..........for what your thinking about doing..........you either better be REAL good at welding using no gas with a mig........OR.......you might want to consider going all the way, and get yourself a mig welder, and set it up WITH the 75/25 gas mix, and experiment, and HOPE for the best!

You will GET what you pay for! IF, you want to learn this "ART" on your own.....KOOL! Just don't expect great results the first time out the gate. You have MUCH! to learn...........grasshopper! DON'T think different!!

Good luck, why NOT!...........go for it!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AznDrgn
Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln are good choices. If all you are looking at ever doing is body work and exhaust work you should be fine with a 110V light duty but if you ever intend to weld anything thicker than 3/16" get a 220V one. Which ever one you go with I recommend getting one that has a fully adjustable heat and wire feed as opposed to the ones that only have like 5 settings.

I second the advice to get adj. heat and wire speed. Welding without that adjustability is like doing surgery with a machete
Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
84_944guy
Instructor

I would have to say get an OA welder. I took some classes in it I think it’s easy compared to gas metal arc or shield metal arc. And you can always buy a cutting attachment for it. And if you mess up on a weld and it looks like **** you can go over it and make it look nice.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

personally i wouldnt waste my time unless its a gas welder. Non-gas isnt going to touch much on these cars the metal is so damn thick/dense. I bought a miller 135 a year or two ago on an online website but i cant remember the name. Cost me 200 less than anywhere else and free shipping! Search around for the best prices and make sure you get 120 if you dont have a 220 plug to use in your garage.
Attached Images  

Last edited by xsboost90; 02-20-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

+1 on the miller... i bought a miller 135 and i run a co2 argon mix...i would not weld without gas..just a waste of time..and its not that expensive, to refill a 60 cu ft tank is about 30 bucks. i am very glad that i invested in a welder, not only has it saved me money..but it has made me money by doing odd jobs for people i know
Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go back to the stone age and buy a nice stick / arc welder for about $150. I have experience MIG welding (with gas mix) at my fathers shop and a monkey can probably be trained to repair an exhaust. I am taking a class right now on arc welding to become Coast Guard certified. Let me just say its completely different and defenetley takes time to master.

Unless you have a lightning rod setup outside to harness enough amperage without overloading your house circuit, get a gas mix if you can afford it.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also use a Miller, its a 175 220v machine. If you plan on a wide variety of materials to weld, the few extra bucks for the 220 unit is worth it in my opinion. Someday I hope to get good at using it...

I have welded steel from sheetmetal right up to 1/4 inch stock with no problem. And I welded stainless on the exhaust no trouble either.

Next up is a spool gun and some aluminum fun.......

Cheers
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got a Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig Runner and LOVE it!! No more having to go somewhere for stupid little welding jobs. This may be overkill for some, but it's a great welder that's capable of way more than I'll ever need.

Last edited by Pauerman; 02-20-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a welder...