Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if I glue the sunroof shut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ you could silicone the roof without haveing excess silcone all over the roof, you just cover the roof with newspaper and tape before using the silicone. Still this would me my very last resort because it's pretty permanent. It's pretty much impossilbe to get the silicone fully off the paint.

thanks for the replies.

what I'll do is first tape off only the sunroof and leave the hatch like it is to see if it stil leaks.

the sunroof not going down all the way, I'm pretty sure is due to the seal beign too thick, the sunroof is pretty simple I can't see anything else that would prevent it from going down all the way.

also can't see how you can do the manual conversion wrong, you just screw in the two manul latches on the rear of the sunroof.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the hatch seal! that's my input for today.

But really, ... it's the hatch seal.. mine leaks all over my back seat and rear carpet
Old 02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Lucas
Sounds like the manual installation wasn't done well. If you have to put a shim in to compensate and the sunroof admittedly isn't fitting correctly then I think you've identified the problem.
when doing the manual conversion I removed everything including the rail guides for the electric roof, so the manul latches latch onto the bare metal of the roof at the rear. Like this the roof wasn't clamping down hard so I put 3 penies under each latch at the rear to make it clamp down harder. so the rear is clamping down harder than the front now and it is more flush with the roof than the front is.

I'll post some pictures of this when I get the time.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
It's the hatch seal! that's my input for today.

But really, ... it's the hatch seal.. mine leaks all over my back seat and rear carpet
the hatch seal looks pretty new to me, however the top is separating pretty badly, it definately needs to be replaced or a needs a reseal.

using a garden hose I couldn't really find any leak, I sprayed the hatch and the sunroof and didn't see anything dripping into the car in to the back carpet area.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
when doing the manual conversion I removed everything including the rail guides for the electric roof, so the manul latches latch onto the bare metal of the roof at the rear. Like this the roof wasn't clamping down hard so I put 3 penies under each latch at the rear to make it clamp down harder. so the rear is clamping down harder than the front now and it is more flush with the roof than the front is.

I'll post some pictures of this when I get the time.
What's the benefit?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

lighter weight, no fr*&$%!@ plastic gears or motor or cables or whatever. But mine is a track car... don't know about mr yummy bud up in BC... gotta love that name
Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a late car, the conversion most of the time looks like crap.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Yes it does look like crap, because you have to cut the panel on the sunroof so the latches will fit.

the reason i did it was that the sunroof was not working, and the early style sunroof (85.5) looks pretty complcated to fix so I didn't want to bother.

I really wish I had a non sunroof car though, which is pretty rare.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say pop the sunroof and remove the headiner and trim where it leaks. Then try pouring water into the gutter and see where it leaks. I've found a few leaks by doing this.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Aren't there two tiny adjustment screws that act as stops for the roof along the rear edge? I know I adjusted mine and it sat more flush.

-Darwin
Old 02-25-2007, 03:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a car cover. $70 for a rain-proof car cover from Kragen.

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
the top is separating pretty badly, it definately needs to be replaced or a needs a reseal.
Dude, why are you still wondering where the problem is. Get some nice duct tape and tape your hatch. Adhesive is easy to get off metal and glass. Buy black duct tape - nobody will notice.

Either buy the cover or buy the tape. Either way, the following purchase should be a hatch seal kit.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I don't think it's the hatch I sprayed it with a hose and I didn't see any water dripping but I also didn't see any water dripping from the sunroof.

I"ll covere on at a time to find out which causes the leak, pretty sure it's the sunroof.

I did not see any adjustment screws on my roof.

I also removed the sunroof drain tube from the gas cap side and after getting it out because it was badly clogged, I tried to stick a new tube down where it originally goes but it would not go down due to the small space and this other plastic tubing goes down there as well (I think it's electric wires) so for now I have temporarely made the hose go behind the black headliner and into the rear wheel well, it looks pretty bad so I need to figure out a way to ge it down the original route.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It also seems unlikely that dripping water can destroy a mountain or kill a man, but both have been known to happen, but only slowly and gradually.

At any rate, a failproof work-around is to buy a car cover. If you end up not finding the leak, I suggest you go buy one - it's saved my skin a few times when I had to park a "vulnerable" car in the rain.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM
fatjapp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried reattaching the pipe that connects to the drainage hole ? I changed the sunroof seals and still it leaked, turned out it was the connection between the pipe and the metal body work part. It was still connected but leaking.
see pictures ( Sorry it won't let me post pictures .... copy and paste change the hxxp to tt )

Can someone post these images for me ? (admin you can remove the links if you feal it breaches the rules for new members posting images)

hxxp://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7212/dsc01171mediumfq4.jpg
hxxp://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6029/dsc01172mediumbt4.jpg
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like maybe the tube for the drains is disconnected up in the roof- may have to pull the headliner in a spot to put it back on...

Quick Reply: What if I glue the sunroof shut?