Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace belts, or not???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace belts, or not???

Hey guys,

I hate to beat a dead horse with another timing belt replacement post... but I was hoping to bounce this off you guys and see what your thoughts are.

So I bought this 84 Porsche 944 about 6 months ago. I'm going through the ENTIRE car, replacing anything and everything that's worn and or damaged. I started with the back and I'm moving forward. Mechanical, aesthetic, etc.

When everything is done, I'll get the car repainted and new decals put on. I'm working on the motor right now, and I know that the original engine was damaged. It was replaced with a used 2.5 motor that had 52k miles on it (this was done in 2004). The original odometer on the car says 67k on it now. My guess is that they replaced the timing belts. I've got to replace the radiator fan, and I'm replacing all the hoses anyway, so I removed the timing cover to inspect everything. It's a little dirty, but the belts look pretty decent and I'm wondering if it's really necessary for me to replace them.

When I bought the car, it didn't run. (bad starter, bad ignition switch, bad fuel pump). I did get it running before I started working on it and it idled really smoothly, so I know that it's a good solid motor (no smoke or anything). But, I noticed that the timing belt seems like it doesn't have much tension on it. I can easily depress it with my fingers. I'm guessing that it's never been tightened since it was originally installed. With that said, what are the specifications on tensioning belts?

Is it easy to adapt a newer style belt tensioner to an older motor?

I guess I didn't mention it, but I did already buy all new belts and pulleys and rollers and all that other crap.

Damnit... I guess I might as well replace everything. I'm pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, but I'm worried about destroying the head. I've replaced timing chains before, and I did replace a belt once on a Volvo 240 Turbo motor. In all of those motors, it was as simple as making sure the "notches" matched up with other corresponding notches, or on the GM motors, to make sure the cam and crank gear lined up before you put the chain on.

Is it basically the same for the 944?

I have a Haynes manual, but I know there are often times better writeups from Porsche owners. Any advice???

Sorry that I rambled... I guess I'm trying to think of ways to get out of doing something I just know that I should be doing.

I guess my big question is, is it possible to test the motor before I attempt to start it? I mean, can I hand crank it to make sure there are no clearance issues before I attempt to start it?

As I understand it, some timing belt engines can skip a tooth if the timing is too bad off (it detonates prematurely or too late and causes the cam to slip which in turn, causes the valves to hit the pistons and all hell breaks loose).

Let me know what you guys think...

Thanks!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Pretty simple, really ... if you're not 100% sure the timing belt was replaced recently, then get a new one in there. It should be your top priority. Water pump too, while you're at it.

As to the step-by-step, there's lots of info out there. Clark's Garage for example has lots of great how-tos. For example here's their guide to getting the engine to top dead centre.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
I've got to replace the radiator fan, and I'm replacing all the hoses anyway, so I removed the timing cover to inspect everything. It's a little dirty, but the belts look pretty decent and I'm wondering if it's really necessary for me to replace them.
You have already done the hard part, replace that belt! Seriously, it isn't hard.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Tabor
You have already done the hard part, replace that belt! Seriously, it isn't hard.

I guess you're right. What the heck... I might as well. I'm in this mess now as it is because I have a really hard time allowing myself to do something half-assed.

Damnit...

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
I guess you're right. What the heck... I might as well. I'm in this mess now as it is because I have a really hard time allowing myself to do something half-assed.
You really are half way there already.

Quick Reply: Replace belts, or not???