Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed: Ignition Wires & Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed: Ignition Wires & Pelican Parts

Hey Guys. I've been off of the list for a month or so because i've been extremely buisy finishing up school and such (only 2 days to go!!) But now i definetly need your help!!

Anyway, my car was running badly (missing under load), and i noticed that one of my magnecore ignition wires had vibrated loose . After inspecting ALL OF my cables i discovered that someone had "crimped" them badly to the sparkplugs, and so now (years later) it was nearly impossable for them to fit correctly and make contact.

I decided to purchase new Bosh iridium fusion plugs and new Magnecore wires from Pelican Parts. I've installed them now, and my car is still missing. the new wires are extremely loose on both the plugs and distributor, and the cheap silicone keeps "backing away" the connectors from my plugs.

I called someone from Pelican, hoping that i could return this set because they are NOT WORKING CORRECTLY,then buy a different brand from Pelican. They (rudely) told me that the wires are non-returnable even if the product isn't working.

What should i do??? ( i know that the wires are my problem, because after massive "tweaking" i can get the car to run correctly for about a block or so before the wires become too loose again)
Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

For starters throw away the iridium plugs. I could write a book on the number of cars that have issues with those (all German).

I only run copper plugs in five of my six cars. The 6th one I have no choice, no other plug available.

I also ran into an issue with "aftermarket" plug wire ends (non-Beru). The ends had a slightly larger clip in them that took an extreme amount of force to "clip" down onto the spark plug. Take out the plug, try to "snap" the connector onto the plug out of the car & you'll see what I mean.

The plug end on your 944 is the same as my 928's - so there is a good chance you are dealing with the same issue I was.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Yea, go with the good ole Coppers....I tried Platinums in my '87 944 and it ran like crap! I put a new Bosch set of wires (nothin fancy) on mine with the basic Bosch coppers and never looked back! Good bet changing the plugs and fiddling with those connectors should do it for you.

-Steve
Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Contact Magnacore? I wouldn't let that go w/o a fight.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:56 PM
944CS
Drifting

I ran NGK Iridium BPR6EIX in my '87 N/A, it ran great. Iridium plugs are not bad. The problem with your plugs are the 4 ground electrodes. They are blocking the spark from the charge.
hockeydude, buy a set of wires that has the Beru connectors, and buy a set of Bosch or NGK plugs that have only one silver or copper center electrode and you'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Some spark plug boots trap air inside them and then like to pop off again. If you use dielectric grease try to burp any trapped air out from between the plug and boot. If you are not using grease the boot might not want to slide down the plug far enough for proper fit.

OBhijack: Does anyone still sell replacement wires with Beru screw terminals? The kind where you re-use the ends? I bought a set for my 928 a year or two ago, could use a set for my S2.

-Joel.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Supachink
Racer

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone sell wire for aftermarket coils that has a standard spark plug style boot on one side and the other side beru to run to the center of the distributor? I've been trying to source one out for the Jacobs Omni Coil I have.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 PM
944CS
Drifting

you want both ends to be beru, and you can buy the ends at Porsche dealerships
Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I picked up some basic copper plus Bosch plugs today. Hopefully this will resolve the "stumbling/missing" problem that i am still having.

on a side note, After about an hour last night of fiddling and inspection, i believe that Jfrahm was right in saying that the new wire's silicone was causing air to block a solid connection. I have swapped back to my old wire set (after tweaking the connectors with pliers to fit correctly) and i will try that with the new copper plugs later today.

*EDIT: Does anyone know how much to gap plugs for a 2.7 944 NA??
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Some boots even have a little air vent in them, you could try cramming sections of WD-40 straws in next to the wires to allow air to escape. Or cram the straw in, fit the boot, and yank the straw back out.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Just install them with a short piece of very small gauge insulated wire folded under the boot during installation. When the boots is seated, hold the boot down and pull the wire out. Works everytime for my. Why anyone would want an air hole in the boot escapes me. Soon as the plug well gets filled with water from engine cleaning the boot will leak defeating the purpose of the boot in the first place. The Beru ends are the only way to go. I think Paragon even sells a set with Beru ends and Magnacore wire.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Joel, I have the service information manual for 1989 that covers the 2.7. It says Bosch WR7DC or Champion RN 9 YC, either one gapped at .7mm or .028".

I bought the Beru set from Pelican and they work great.

Lou
Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 AM
944CS
Drifting

gap at .032
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I bought some bosch super coppers and gapped them to .028, yet got the same reults of a random "missing". Now i'm not quite sure what to test next. A friend is going to let me borrow a set of beru wires, but now i'm beginning to think that wires are not my problem. Another friend suggested taking apart the distributer and checking for wear.

Any other advice, guys? My car has been sitting for over a month now, and i'm going through withdrawl!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

YAY!! I think that this very well could be what was causing my ignition problems....... It is a busted rotor. How it happened or where the busted piece went are still unknown. Unfortuanetly i am guessing that the broken piece fell down into my belt cover, and is precariousally bouncing around in there next to my timing belt!!

Does anyone know the difference between the rotors that are like $33 (vs the OEM $140) yet say "no shaft adapter fitting"??

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item7

And NO, i WILL NOT be purchasing these (or any other) parts from Pelican. I sent them another email asking politely, yet intently for ways to resolve my issue, and they still refuse to return any of my calls/emails.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help needed: Ignition Wires & Pelican Parts