Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Job Extras

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 AM
onlyflash944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Job Extras

Ok, I recently purchased a '86 944 N/A, but it needs a clutch. I'm going to be doing it my self, and I was wondering what everyone else would recomend be replaced other than the basic clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing parts? Maybe the rear main? What about for the tranny? I just want to plan ahead so I don't have to wait on ordered parts.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

First off, welcome to the list! Second, looks like you've got everything covered though I'm sure there are alot of people here that would suggest a couple of other things and I'm also sure you'll find some other things you'd want to do just "while you're in there".

Plan on spending a lot of time on this though, the clutch job on a 944 is a pretty major undertaking.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to rennlist!

*Definitely change the rear main seal and pilot bearing.
*Clutch fork pin bearings (2 of them)
*When your bellhousing is off, cut a slot in it for the 2 flywheel sensors (known as the speed and reference sensors). Click for details: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=27
*New exhaust bolts & nuts would be nice... from any hardware store.
*I would suggest get the flywheel surfaced. Buy new bolts for the flywheel, from where-ever you order your parts.
*Maybe get new PP bolts as well?
*New CV joint bolts, if you want. I would get them.
*repack the CVs that you open with new grease
*Change the tranny fluid WHILE IT'S OUT. Easier. Use 75w-90 (I recommend Redline 75w-90ns or Royal purple 75w-90... but any stuff will be better than the old junk in there now).
*You might want a new seal for the tranny shaft. I've never seen it leak, but no seal lasts forever.

Some notes:

*Get lots of tie wraps (zip ties) and use them whenever you need.
*Don't undo the clutch hydraulics.
*The flywheel bolts and CV joint bolts are triple square. Go buy a new, high-quality, expensive set of triple square tools before you start, or else you WILL destroy some bolts. Trust me; I know! Either buy Snap-on, or try auto-tool specialty stores, and ask for their highest grade (german) stuff.
*For taking out the tranny, you will need a patient assistant and lots of 2x4 on a jack... or a nice tranny jack.

good luck, and feel free to ask for help.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Nice post Arash! thanks, and welcome onlyflash944
Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Arash covered it very well. You might want to add a throw-out bearing guide tube, check your transaxle mount for tears, and it's a good time to replace the clutch master and slave if they look old or you have no history on them. Upgrading the battery/ground cables is much easier also while you are in there. Welcome to the Rennlist and you'll be an official member Clutch Job Mutual Torture Society.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 PM
onlyflash944
AutoX

Wow, thanks for all the tips and info. Theres a lot there that i might not have done. I've done a clutch job on an american v-8, but never anything with a torque tube. And I know its a long process on a 944, so i'm just going to get a good jump on it starting on a weekend, then work a little every night on the weekdays, and hopefully put it back together the following weekend.

I'll definatley change the fluid in the tranny, I don't know how old it is and that is cheap insurance. Also, I'll repack the cv joints and order all new hardware. This car only has 106K on it, so I'm just going to inspect the slave cyl. and throw out bearing guide. If its rough, then I'll order new. Unfourtnatley the new 944 is going to need a water pump in the near future, so I'll be doing some belt research around here too.

Here is a pic of the new ride, 2 major things wrong with it, clutch most notably, and the WP, which needs changed before too long. It's just starting to loose coolant, maybe a quart per hour of highway driving.

Well, seems I need a few more posts before I can show pictures. I'll share when I get there. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Arash covered it very well...basically everthing I did when I did mine. Now be prepared for lot's of fun when you get to taking the clutch housing off. Several gotcha's there. The pivot pin can be troublesome, though mine came out with a couple whacks of a small hammer. I'm not sure if your '86 has the sensor sleeve that I got caught on (not in Clark's Garage instructions)...so beware you may have to remove the sensor bracket!!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Yup, well said. Where's the new car pics?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM
onlyflash944
AutoX

I wasn't able to post any pictures yet. I don't have enough posts.

But thanks for the tip on the sensor, I'll definatley look for it when I'm workin on it.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
onlyflash944
AutoX

Nothing like cheating the system. My avitiar now is a photo of my new ride. Has some curb rash on the front valence, and the stock phone dials are hawt.

Anyway, it is overall in good cosmetic shape. Paint is pretty good, and the only thing really wrong with the interior are a few water stains from the hatch, and the front leather is torn on the bucket part.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Let me be the first to say..... "Post *****!"

j/k, welcome to Rennlist! That is a beautiful car, so shiny... more pics are definitely in order!

Quick Reply: Clutch Job Extras