Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no pressure when removing rad cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I replaced the cap and now when I take it off I hear pressure beign released and I don't have any overheating prolbems or anything like that. Think it was just a bad cap.
What cap did you replace it with, make/pressure rating? Maybe mine are the wrong type.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Use a cooling system pressure tester to test the cap. The one I have has an adapter for testing caps, so you can check to see if the cap is holding pressure.
hey Jim thanks for the help with mine!

on my car there is still pressure, but with this test, we saw that the cap was leaking, my actaul tank can still hold pressure, but needs to be replaced as well

atleast your fan's are coming on; mine aren't; I have to get a new fan relay and probably a new thermo switch, then I should be golden and ready for an oil change, new rear bearings, and a t-belt kit
Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
jbaeng
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well system holds pressure. Set it to 10psi last night (it looked steady) and it was 5psi this morning. Sounds quite tight to me. I vented the system a few times under pressure just to make sure all air was vented. The kicker is the cap when tested held no pressure and after looking at it, it is definitely useless. I'm going to replace the cap today and hopefully the cooling system will work as it was supposed to (pressurized). It makes complete sense now and based on Wallace's experience which was similar to mine (thanks Wallace), if the car's cooling system is not under pressure, once it is turned off the heat in the hot areas of the engine (well above the 86deg C of the coolant) will heat the coolant up to 100 deg C since there is no flow to the radiator, and then any other heat to get dissipated will cause the coolant to flash to steam. The resulting growing steam bubble will push the coolant out the expansion tank overflow line (kind of like a burp), and since the cap is not sealing, it will not keep the pressure and coolant contained in the cooling system.

So if all is well later with the new cap, I'm done here and will come back soon with the all the other things on my list I have to unravel (but this was priority one!!). The car is getting aligned today at CT Automotive in Campbell. I replaced control arms and tie rods last week. Next is interior update/repair (seats and dash).

Can anybody here recommend good seat covers or a inexpensive way to repair/replace 2 torn up burgundy seats?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbaeng
Well, I drove the car today and the tank level was hanging in there when i checked periodically during the day. I let it sit and cool down and when I checked the tank it was low again with the level down near the bottom.

where is the coolant going?? no smoke, the oil level is constant and clean, compression check was good.

any thoughts or ideas?

Beginnings of a blown head gasket. Mine did the same thing.....with no real OBVIOUS symptoms like smoke, etc. right before it blew.

Sorry.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
What cap did you replace it with, make/pressure rating? Maybe mine are the wrong type.
no idea, just went to the local parts store (lordco) and asked for a pressure cap for a 944 and they had one in stock like 10 bucks. I thought it was cheap so might as well replace it.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 AM
jbaeng
Track Day

yup, it was the cap!

Quick Reply: no pressure when removing rad cap