Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car is scaring me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is scaring me!

Well, I just did a brief search and it seems that there soooo many different things that can cause this. Here's what happened. Last night I was driving around Tempe and I go to shift from 2nd to third gear. It's in third and I hit the gas, and get no repsonse. I'm like, ahh crap. I push the clutch in and the engine is dead. I crank it over while moving for about 7 seconds. Nothing. Perfect!! I hit the flashers. Im now going about 30 mph or so. I put it in 2nd and let the clutch out trying to get it to restart but I'm bleeding off speed fast so I put it in neutral and pull over and stop. I sit there for about 10 seconds wondering what happened. I crank it over again and it starts right up!! Ugghh that kind of behavior makes me nervous! My search found it could be a DME, dme relay, ignition switch, speed/reference sensors, fuel pump relay. Ive had this car almost a year and a half with no stalling problems and now this. Im worried that the next time it does this it might not start back up. Also, the gas tank was 3/4 full...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Here is something much more terrifying to get your mind off of the car.

A fire-breathing bear.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

DME relay is my bet
Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM
sillbeer
Pro

I think that might be the easiest thing to change J berk lol.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep they are cheap... 20-25 bucks or so. I've never had one go out but I carry a spare whenever I drive the car.

That post was actually funny v2.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It's either that or your fuel pump is going.....
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Berk
It's either that or your fuel pump is going.....
Hmmm it could be much more than that...

There have been a number of people experiencing these sort of problems recently, namely myself, Luis de Prat, etc. Do a search and you'll find some ideas of things to check.

When the car died, was the tach at zero? Your problem is most likely electrical and not mechanical.

Check: AFM, vac lines, TPS, speed/ref sensors, DME relay, factory alarm, DME, ICV, fuel pump, fuel filter...

I think that's a good list to choose from. Start with the simplest procedures and then work your way up. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:24 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Could also be a short in your wiring harness, or bad ignition coil. Also check for firing of injectors.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
jstand22
Pro

change the DME relay, its more than likely what your problem is
sounds exactly like what happened to me 2 months ago, car died going 75-80 and after that it only started whenever it felt like it. replaced DME relay - problem solved
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Caboose
Instructor

+1 on DME relay, My car would randomly turn off doing about 40-50mph, I tried to rolling-start it and nothing, got out and parked for a while and eventually it would start back up. Replaced the DME relay for $21.79 from www.automotion.com and havent had a problem since.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
jinx099
Instructor

Originally Posted by sillbeer
Well, I just did a brief search and it seems that there soooo many different things that can cause this. Here's what happened. Last night I was driving around Tempe and I go to shift from 2nd to third gear. It's in third and I hit the gas, and get no repsonse. I'm like, ahh crap. I push the clutch in and the engine is dead. I crank it over while moving for about 7 seconds. Nothing. Perfect!! I hit the flashers. Im now going about 30 mph or so. I put it in 2nd and let the clutch out trying to get it to restart but I'm bleeding off speed fast so I put it in neutral and pull over and stop. I sit there for about 10 seconds wondering what happened. I crank it over again and it starts right up!! Ugghh that kind of behavior makes me nervous! My search found it could be a DME, dme relay, ignition switch, speed/reference sensors, fuel pump relay. Ive had this car almost a year and a half with no stalling problems and now this. Im worried that the next time it does this it might not start back up. Also, the gas tank was 3/4 full...
Hey buddy, this is the EXACT same thing that just happened to my car. It sounds like you perfectly described what happened to me the first time it happened to me, right down to the shift from 2nd to third. I've not yet figured out what the problem is, but I've swapped DME relays, no help. I'm about to buy a coil and fuel pressure regulator to see if it helps my car.

Check my thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/380145-my-86-na-stalls-then-starts-right-back-up.html
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Wallace
Racer

Originally Posted by Caboose
+1 on DME relay, My car would randomly turn off doing about 40-50mph, I tried to rolling-start it and nothing, got out and parked for a while and eventually it would start back up. Replaced the DME relay for $21.79 from www.automotion.com and havent had a problem since.
/\ exact same situation as me. The car would randomly die about once a week. If I waited for about 1 minute, it would start right back up again. Changed the DME relay, and everything been great for 4 months now.

Since the DME relay is the easiest and cheapest thing to replace, try it first.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Same thing happened to my car and it was a vacuum issue.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
sillbeer
Pro

Wow! im surprised it has generated this much activity! It was the weirdest thing though. No weird running, no chugging, no sign at all just bam, dead engine. I suppose I'll look at the dme relay first since its the cheapest. Is there a way to jump jumper it if this happens again so I can narrow it down? this is an 83 btw so no factory alarm...
Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

With no sputtering, I doubt that it is fuel related. Electrical problem is most probable. DME relay seems most likely and easiest to correct Relays contacts get dirty and failure sporatically at first until they stop working completely. Check for loose or cracks in wiring (wire to spark coil, loose reference sensor or speed sensor wire).
My track car quit down a straight doing 90 mph. The Reference Sensor wire came off. A loose wire may allow it to restart.

Quick Reply: car is scaring me!