Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-'85 944 owners, lend me your knowledge (and pics)!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

ive been thinking that an aluminum trim accent kit would work well on the early interior because it already has that sort of look on the gauge bezels...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Updating the exterior... replace the dumb fender mounted antenna which is probably broken with a roof mounted antenna like the 968 (see www.rennbay.com or ebay).
I disagree. I think the stock Hirschmann antenna that came on the early cars is as cool retro '80s as it gets. Problem is the aftermarket Made in China Hirschmann units are nowhere near the OE quality. You can still find new-old-stock examples at Mercedes dealers.

Yes, you can swap in the later console. The only problem would be finding a way to mount the early climate controls, and the 2 gauges. It will take some creativity and craftiness.
As a long-time early 944 owner and late 944 owner as well, I think the early interior has enough character as it is but most are too deteriorated to appreciate it. I would focus on restoring the interior before changing it.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
As a long-time early 944 owner and late 944 owner as well, I think the early interior has enough character as it is but most are too deteriorated to appreciate it. I would focus on restoring the interior before changing it.
This I agree on. I want to get the interior as in well of condition it was years ago before taking any steps to modding it. It deserves a second chance I believe.

I will be with the car tomorrow to post some pics of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies so far.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Why not tilt the tach as to have "yellowline" vertical like ALL the cool race cars do?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Here's the interior from my recently purchased 84 944. The PO installed the "wood grain".

[IMG][/IMG]

It was generally panned by the Listers when I initially posted the car as a potential buy. Initially I didn't like it either, and it wouldn't be the way I'd go if I had my druthers. That said, it's not so bad in person, especially if/when I change out the steering wheel and shift **** to something less obnoxious, like dark brown leather. I've decided to spend my alotted interior money on 924S gauges, better illumination, and some kind of fix of the dash instead.

Oh, and yes, that is Optimus Prime on the horn button. The PO's sense of humor.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

That interior is incredible. It reminds me of the inside of a boat. It sure does have personality.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
hardtail15
Racer

i want that transformer center cap haha
Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Interior Mod's

Just a couple pics of my early car FWIW. I like the looks/feel of the Momo **** but couldn't stand the noise so I'm using the OE shifter now. The burlwood is certainly not to everyone's taste but I added it in the 80's and has held up nicely. It is easily dismounted if I want a different look. Over the years I have added door handles with inset badges, a badge on the horn pad and aluminum pedals & brake handle. The dash cover is ugly but it has prevented damage to the 24 year old dash (no cracks!).

Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

That's a very nice looking interior, Carl. You should be proud. It looks like it still has the original audio equipment too.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those seats look nice and I have the same thing going on on my wheel. I like that little crest.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply pulled the stock gauges from the center console... don't have a pic online of both installed, but I have the one so you can see the comparison. The clock hole is now an AFR gauge and the oil pressure has been changed to an autometer. I simply used the supplied brackets and they look like they belong there! The old steering wheel is now gone - blue just didn't match anything and it was falling apart. The steering wheel is a Momo Pilota 2 now (flat bottom wheel and I love it) and the seats are Corbeau TRS.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carl Nall
Just a couple pics of my early car FWIW. I like the looks/feel of the Momo **** but couldn't stand the noise so I'm using the OE shifter now. The burlwood is certainly not to everyone's taste but I added it in the 80's and has held up nicely. It is easily dismounted if I want a different look. Over the years I have added door handles with inset badges, a badge on the horn pad and aluminum pedals & brake handle. The dash cover is ugly but it has prevented damage to the 24 year old dash (no cracks!).

That is a beautiful car. Burl wood isn't really my taste, but in the amazing condition your car is in, it sure does work! It's definitely an inspiration to make my early car a bit better looking and repair it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carl Nall

Dude, do you have any pictures of the door handle with the crest on it, up close?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Where did you get the handles with the crests on them??
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GloriaRedStang
That's a very nice looking interior, Carl. You should be proud. It looks like it still has the original audio equipment too.
Wait til you see the exterior!

Quick Reply: pre-'85 944 owners, lend me your knowledge (and pics)!!