Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-'85 944 owners, lend me your knowledge (and pics)!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre-'85 944 owners, lend me your knowledge (and pics)!!

Okay- after extensive searching I see that many of the early 944 models do not get as much love as the later models. Most of the love for the later models is by far the interior and the exterior upgrades. So like many others, I am definitely a fan of the "old school 80's-retro-style" interior that my '83 has. I feel that it is time for some updates, but to definitely keep the old-school looks.

It's hard to find pics of any interior ideas that hopefully some of you have come up with which does a bit of updating. I went on Jager Engineering and looked at some things.

Have any of you seen one of these kits in the old interior style?
http://jageng.com/garage9/product_in...f11f575c6f0591
I am thinking if it is done right, it could quite possibly add a bit of flavour to the inside.

Also, I plan on doing the leather dash cover as well, but again, I have only seen pics of the newer style-- none to early models.

The previous owner installed a momo-type steering wheel in the car. I do agree it looks a bit better than the 3 spoke old-school wheel, but I think the only way I would keep it if it has the porsche crest button installed...

So, bottom line: Does anyone have any ideas that would help flare up the interior of these early beauties? I'd like to start a thread which keeps all great pics and great ideas together rather than scattered about.

Thanks in advance!

ALSO! I forgot! I heard a rumour that it was possible to swap the newer style center console into the early models? I searched around but found nothing- could this actually work?

Last edited by Marcquito; 01-27-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot some info.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The early dash, with leather, would look LEAGUES better than any late dash. Toss in some 924S gauges (same look, but white lettering and red needles). Fresh carpet goes a long way.

Updating the exterior... replace the dumb fender mounted antenna which is probably broken with a roof mounted antenna like the 968 (see www.rennbay.com or ebay). Get some real headlights.

Yes, you can swap in the later console. The only problem would be finding a way to mount the early climate controls, and the 2 gauges. It will take some creativity and craftiness.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a lot in terms of photos for you...I'd recommend a new set of floor mats/new carpet like Arash said. I'd love to recover my dash someday with a fully leather one. Mine right now is in nearly perfect condition. Maybe someday I'd rock the 924s gauges, too. I'm a huge advocate of new headlights (check the sig).
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Is there any alternative to keeping the carpet around the shifter? I'd like to delete it, if all possible.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

What color is the carpet and what condition is it in? I've seen quite a few people remove it entirely. I like it, personally.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Originally the carpet was a gray-beige and spray painted black by the previous owner with some sort of carpet/vinyl spray. The carpet moves when you shift therefore becoming an annoyance.

I will post pictures of everything as soon as I am near the car once again. It is at my parents house roughly 3 hours away. I will be going there soon to do some work and spend time with my father.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Oh- I forgot to answer your other question- the carpet is in awful condition.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PO put in an eBay interior kit which thankfully got rid of the silly shifter carpet surround. I don't think those are still around.

I would recommend the Jager Kit, and a Porsche Horn button for the Momo Wheel from eBay or 968CS Wheel. Floor Mats you can get from Lloyds Mats. Paul Champagne has an incredible ability to put in real, quality leather into your car, including redoing an early dash. Do a search for pictures.

I should be getting my new Momo Nero Steering Wheel this week, and will prolly be doing a Black with Aluminum Accents Kit from Jager later on.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

Keep the interior old-school, a new momo-race steeringwheel with the aftermarket damn-hard-to-find porsche-crest and porsche-gearknob (cant see the gear-legend on top due too brightness but its there)

I love every second I spend behind my dash
Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

and swap the tach and speedo, all the kewl kidz are runnin the tach in the middlez yo
Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
JTurton7
AutoX

can you do that? just swap positions?

My track car (x-daily) has it right in the middle and I miss that
Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

It's a tight squeeze, cable-wise, but I know it's been done.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cokeloop
Keep the interior old-school, a new momo-race steeringwheel with the aftermarket damn-hard-to-find porsche-crest and porsche-gearknob (cant see the gear-legend on top due too brightness but its there)

I love every second I spend behind my dash
does the usb stick get in the way of the shifter?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
cokeloop
Advanced

no it doesnt, plenty of clearance, like 2 inches or so! also have the tiny remote control for the player glued to the end of my armrest so i can relax and change songs, adjust the volume etc without having to mess around the shifter while driving
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
iamgod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i envy both interiors...especially the matte alum shift ****...i hate having to use the stock "vieny appendage"

Quick Reply: pre-'85 944 owners, lend me your knowledge (and pics)!!