Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First suspension mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
It works better than you would think. However it is combined with a stiff 968 M030 front sway bar and small or no rear sway bar. Plus the car is aligned rear end slightly low. These two things balance the spring rate situation and creates a nice handling car.
Agree on this. Funny thing is, 30mm torsion bars equates to 790lb/in rear coilovers.

Whenever I tell people I'm running 850lb/in rear springs, they're all like "OMG! Mad oversteerz LOL" because they don't understand the relationship between spring rates and torsion bar rates. and think that a 30mm bar is equivalent to a 600lb spring.

Jason, part of the issue is the conversion table on your website which is incorrect. Any chance of updating it?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Ragnar Joensen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first suspension mod on a 924/944/968 is not a mod at all.

I have not read through this thread and others may have said this before, but we're talking about a 25-30 old car, which in many cases still runs on the original setup.

So rather than focusing on a mod for the sake of a mod, You should focus on the suspension in general. You could get far with just replacing old, worn out parts for new ones. But, as we know, original parts are costly and these days better aftermarket parts are cheaper.

I am in the same situation as You are, and I decided to do a complete replacement - new H&R Nürburgring kit, new M030 bar in front, all bushings replaced with Powerflex black stuff. Then I know it all matches up. No point in replacing the front swayer, if the rest is like a Wal-Mart cart.

My point is to ensure that You consider the suspension as a whole, rather than focusing on one particular part, that most likely will not meet Your expectations.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Not a mod at all

I agree Ragnar and hope you'll continue reading. I re-activated this thread so I might get the attention of some of the group who participated in 2008 and also some of the folks who're more active on the list now. The subject of suspension tuning is always worth re-visiting I think, always a good topic.

My approach with my "new to me" 944S2 is to make incremental changes and I have an established goal for the car, which is to bring it to the famous "Firehawk" specification that caused it to dominate that competition during the early 90's. Some of the top names in the industry, Lyndsey, Paragon, Racer's Edge are still providing parts that meet or exceed those specifications so it's an attainable goal I think.

But I also believe in making small changes, testing their effectiveness, then moving to the next level. I spend more time under my cars than behind the wheel as a result, but I find the process calming and the results gratifying. It beats huffing brake cleaner!

Quick Reply: First suspension mod?