Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for a hatch reseal in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendation for a hatch reseal in Atlanta?

Has anyone in Atlanta found a glass shop who has been able to do a successful hatch reseal in the Atlanta area?

My 1992 968 has a section on the top of the hatch that is delaminated/leaking. It's strange.....besides for this 6" section, the hatch is in great shape.

I'd prefer not to tackle this myself if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Bump....anyone?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you find someone let me know Jim. I've got a 968 hatch that has the same issue at the top. I suspect that if we found someone to do it the cost would be prohibitive but it would be great to be wrong
Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To give you an idea on cost, I had a glass shop here in SC quote me $150 to reglue my hatch but gave no gurantees that he would be able to get the glass off without breaking it. I am probably going to try and fully seperate a hatch myself pretty soon and then just have the glass place worry about resealing it.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Josh/Colin.....thanks for the input. Mine isn't bad enough yet where I want to tackle removing the glass from the frame myself (although I think from reading the DIY's it is doable), however if I found a glass shop in the ATL area that had done this before and was willing to do mine start to finish for a couple of hundred bucks, I would definitely be interested.

I think I will reseach with some Porsche indenpendants around the area to see if they know of anyone.

In the meantime, if anyone has done this let me know.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

I had it re-glued a few years ago - still holds. it wasn't in your area, but the bill was about $150. in my opinion this is one of the jobs that are rather hard to do yourself. besides, the glue and especially the primer are carcinogenic (cause cancer), so it's not worth to risk inhaling the fumes.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_K
Josh/Colin.....thanks for the input. Mine isn't bad enough yet where I want to tackle removing the glass from the frame myself (although I think from reading the DIY's it is doable), however if I found a glass shop in the ATL area that had done this before and was willing to do mine start to finish for a couple of hundred bucks, I would definitely be interested.

I think I will reseach with some Porsche indenpendants around the area to see if they know of anyone.

In the meantime, if anyone has done this let me know.

Thanks.

Jim
If you plan to tackle the project yourself, Harbor Freight sells an auto glass separator kit for $15. It as an edge and cutting wire to cut through the adhesive.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a hatch reseal in Atlanta?