Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 turbo front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing that has recently been happening here locally is that we are being pulled over specifically b/c of not having a front plate on. The motorcycle boys are gathering at a light and just picking us off one by one on the way to work.

The reasoning I have been told is the photo eye ticketing for running red lights and speeding captures the front and rear but mostly front for red light violators.

I'm sure there have been a few other violations caught b/c of this too. I don't have a problem with the practice b/c I'm sure there have been some un-insured get what's coming. The Photo eye...well that's another story... I just keep my plate next to my console and throw it up in the front window.

I do like Greg's setup though
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
El Commandante
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesnt help you, but there are people in my hometown that are in the military and were stationed in spain.. well they got to bring back both vehicles with them, and they are still running spanish plates somehow on their new BMW and Mountaineer. Haha, I don't see why the cops dont seem to care though
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

I have been front plate-less since I bought the car and have yet to be stopped. I don't have one on the Camaro (I also run period correct tags!) either but that almost never get driven. Around here the police (local) don't really bother you for small things like that. We also have a very heavy hot rod population around here and almost none of them run fronts and I never hear them complain.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my 89 951 for about 10 years with no plate and only got stopped once. I told the cop that it would take a lot of $70 tickets to add up to the cost of a motor with the tag mostly blocking the IC inlet.

He agreed and gave me the ticket anyway.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't see the EU tags going over very well with the police here in VA. We are required to apply serialized expiration stickers to both the front and rear plates. In other states (such as IL), the serialized expiration stickers are only applied to the rear plate. I just run both plates. I really don't need the hassle.

One thing I noticed when I was taking my car apart before taking it to paint - my mounting brackets are different. I got one from the back of the parts car and the mounting point on it is directly in the middle of the two vertical arms. The one that was mounted on the back of my '87 was offset, making the plate hang down lower. I may swap them around when the car gets back from the body shop.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

In MD only the rear plate has date stickers so that leaves alot of options.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
In MD we do "have" front plate requirement but I was thinking of putting a MD Euro style plate up front. You think anyone would notice?
I will say that my plate garners a lot of comments from people. So far it's just people on the street, not from the guys with the ticket pads. Because it's so distinctive, I actually think it's stealthier to run no plate than it is to run a euro plate. Harder to notice something that's not there than something that is and looks different.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
I will say that my plate garners a lot of comments from people. So far it's just people on the street, not from the guys with the ticket pads. Because it's so distinctive, I actually think it's stealthier to run no plate than it is to run a euro plate. Harder to notice something that's not there than something that is and looks different.
i agree with you on that one. your front plate sticks out more than my NY POORSH plate on I25 when the limit drops from 75 to 55 in a hearbeat.

i know i got pulled over in april on the way to the track because of my red porsche with the out of state plate. you have the alien plate which should give CHP more reason to nail you.

i got a ticket at a parking meter by my office in denver for no front plate on the bmw. cost me $30 for the ticket and $5 for two 90deg brackets and some stainless screws.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a ticket for no front plate @ a parking meter in the 944, and have been running euro rear plates on all current and past cars.
I mount the "real" plate below on the bumper, with a small LED light ( ricer lighted windshield squirter )

Now, that I have a 951, I'll also run a euro rear plate.
I like those USA state euro style plates. Even though they are not legal, I'll run one with the proper #/letters on the front, and a Stuttgart rear plate with the real CA plate below.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I drove my 89 951 for about 10 years with no plate and only got stopped once. I told the cop that it would take a lot of $70 tickets to add up to the cost of a motor with the tag mostly blocking the IC inlet.

He agreed and gave me the ticket anyway.
I'm not that lucky, I'm in the process of fitting my private plates on my car but had to go to the shop quickly - only 3km and believe it or not I got pulled over and fined for no front plate, then the cop saw my license disk had a different number than the rear plate!! It took me half an hour explaining and a call from him to his office to confirm that the rear plate (private plate) was indeed registered to the car while I still had the original license disk on the windscreen. He then fined me for no front plate and for having a wrong license disk on the car and that for a 3km trip.

I've been riding my bike for years with no plate at all and never got pulled over so I take this one with a smile. I have to add it was small fines ZAR250 thats about USD25 each
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
asoduk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drilled a hole in my front plate and have the tow eye holding it on. ghetto, but it works and its easy to remove at the track/autocross
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the euro plate on this eBay 951 (not mine) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Quick Reply: 944 turbo front license plate