Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water4Gas and save your money at the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way that would work is if the car has a H2 tank onboard,
otherwise you've built a perpetual motion machine and uncreated entropy.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, 944J gets a Thread Necromancer Award for this one.

While it's obvious that trying to burn electroliticly-generated hydrogen for energy is just dumb, I think the contention is actually that injecting a small amount of hydrogen causes the fuel to burn more "efficiently".

This, however, is stupid, too. Unless you're running rich or lean, inefficiency happens *after* combustion.

Oh, and Legoland, while you are really for all intents and purposes correct, you're technically very slightly wrong. Oxygen can burn. There is a special form of oxygen called "ozone" (O3) which burns into regular O2, with a great deal of exothermy.

Regular O2, of course, no way.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL technically the theory can work also if heavy water is involved in a fission process. Normal water, of course, no way.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

That's what *you* think, pal.

You just wait 'till I get the Mr. Fusion installed, then you'll see.

Laugh at me, will you? Fools! I'll destroy you all!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

You forgot the "MUHAHAHAHAAHAA"
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just love how every one of these threads always ends up with engineers saying it doesn't work and then coming up with ideas that would work.

I'm gonna start adding heavy water and ozone into my gas tank...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Whisper
This, however, is stupid, too. Unless you're running rich or lean, inefficiency happens *after* combustion.
I have remained out of this discussion until now, according to the U.S. Department of Energy :

Originally Posted by U.S. DOE
Engine Losses – 62.4%

In gasoline-powered vehicles, over 62% of the fuel's energy is lost in the internal combustion engine (ICE). ICE engines are very inefficient at converting the fuel's chemical energy to mechanical energy, losing energy to engine friction, pumping air into and out of the engine, and wasted heat.

Advanced engine technologies such as variable valve timing and lift, turbocharging, direct fuel injection, and cylinder deactivation can be used to reduce these losses.

In addition, diesels are about 30-35% more efficient than gasoline engines, and new advances in diesel technologies and fuels are making these vehicles more attractive.
The primary issue with the introduction of Hydrogen into a gasoline ICE is the flashpoint of hydrogen, it WILL tend to pre-ignite unless the timing and mixture are closely controlled.

Not to mention the current cost of Hydrogen sufficient in volume to affect the efficiency of the gasoline engine as opposed to the cost of a gallon of gas makes the entire discussion moot..

Now when gas was $4+ a gallon it MIGHT have been possible to research the Hydrogen economy enough to make a sufficient impact. As of right now, at least in the U.S., we are well below a cost per mile in GAS even if we are getting 5MPG, that hydrogen is not, and will not become any time soon a suitable replacement, nor supplement for good old Dino juice...

Should Gasoline ever get to $10 a gallon, more people MIGHT look at hydrogen, but that is a good long way off... I hope... now Ethanol, or Methanol, or even Nitromethanol there are real fuels...

"Gas is for cleaning parts, Nitro is for racing"

What really amazes me is enough people believe the BS propagated by installing a jar of water in your car to impact the efficiency to make it worth while for the seller to keep selling...

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 04-14-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
The primary issue with the introduction of Hydrogen into a gasoline ICE is the flashpoint of hydrogen, it WILL tend to pre-ignite unless the timing and mixture are closely controlled.
Yeah, not to mention that it won't help anything, because it won't magically put more energy into the gasoline. It will just add its own inherent energy to the process, and if you have to get from water, by using electricity, which you got by burning gasoline, then you're just wasting gas.

that hydrogen is not, and will not become any time soon a suitable replacement, nor supplement for good old Dino juice...
In terms of cost, yes.

But the real problem in finding a good replacement for gasoline is energy density. Few substances that you can fuel a car with have an energy density anywhere near that of gasoline.

Batteries suck. The only reason the Tesla is actually a decent car is that the sheer awesomeness of electric motors compared to piston engines mostly makes up for how badly batteries suck.

The energy density of hydrogen by mass, however, is *three times* that of gasoline, and *one-third* that of gasoline by volume (liquid).

So it's in the correct order of magnitude, at least.

The two problems are the danger of carrying around compressed liquid hydrogen in things that crash (oh, the humanity), and the expense.

The expense, however, may be surmountable. We're going to need to build lots of breeder reactors, since the prehistoric-algae-juice is going away fast. That means cheap electricity, which obviously brings the price of hydrogen down.

Of course, if you're going to assume cheap electricity, then directly electric cars are a competitor as well. It becomes a race between battery technology and hydrogen storage and injection technology.

In any case, gasoline is quite replaceable as an energy *source* (and if we don't, we're in trouble), but replacing it for energy *storage* is the major problem.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Whisper
Yeah, not to mention that it won't help anything, because it won't magically put more energy into the gasoline. It will just add its own inherent energy to the process, and if you have to get from water, by using electricity, which you got by burning gasoline, then you're just wasting gas.

In terms of cost, yes.

But the real problem in finding a good replacement for gasoline is energy density. Few substances that you can fuel a car with have an energy density anywhere near that of gasoline.

Batteries suck. The only reason the Tesla is actually a decent car is that the sheer awesomeness of electric motors compared to piston engines mostly makes up for how badly batteries suck.

The energy density of hydrogen by mass, however, is *three times* that of gasoline, and *one-third* that of gasoline by volume (liquid).

So it's in the correct order of magnitude, at least.

The two problems are the danger of carrying around compressed liquid hydrogen in things that crash (oh, the humanity), and the expense.

The expense, however, may be surmountable. We're going to need to build lots of breeder reactors, since the prehistoric-algae-juice is going away fast. That means cheap electricity, which obviously brings the price of hydrogen down.

Of course, if you're going to assume cheap electricity, then directly electric cars are a competitor as well. It becomes a race between battery technology and hydrogen storage and injection technology.

In any case, gasoline is quite replaceable as an energy *source* (and if we don't, we're in trouble), but replacing it for energy *storage* is the major problem.
Gasoline needs to be replaced, but until the people quit worrying about the cost of something, it won't be until it is cost efficient to do so... back to the topic, this device is an idiots attempt to make a buck off those who don't know any better, only difference between this and the lottery is at least one of the people playing the lottery wins...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by tifosiman; 08-03-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

I had to do it..... someone has to

Last edited by Legoland951; 08-07-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

lolol
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I had been hoping a admin would close the thread.... no such luck...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran
Hold on man, I am no scam artist!
I am a car lover that is here to learn and share info. Not to mention our beloved Porsche cars.

"Hello good people" is a term adopted from my junior high school teacher.

I think your teacher was being sarcastic. What junior high was that?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by halik
I just love how every one of these threads always ends up with engineers saying it doesn't work and then coming up with ideas that would work.

I'm gonna start adding heavy water and ozone into my gas tank...
Make sure you put Rennlist members on the invite list for your funeral first... Just so we can show up and dispute weather or not to roller paint your Casket...

Quick Reply: Water4Gas and save your money at the pump?