Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water4Gas and save your money at the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water4Gas and save your money at the pump?

Hello Good People,

Came across this a few weeks ago and have been thinking about it as a way to save a buck or two at the gas pump. At first I was looking at a few EV sites on how to convert your car to an all electric vehicle. There are a few all electric 944 out there but with very limited driving range due to battery technology. I have spoken with a company in Florida that has been converting Porsche cars into EV cars with better mileage per battery charge than we currently get on a full tank of gas. Their price to convert is too high and too much, as in $23,000.00 to much!

The Water4Gas solution:
It's very simple. You don't change your engine or ECU (car computer). A quart-size (95O cc) container, usually made of glass but can also be plastic or metal, is placed somewhere under the hood. You fill it with DISTILLED WATER and low-cost household electrolyte (causes electrical current). The device gets vacuum and 12 Volts from the engine, and produces HHO gas (Hydrogen+Oxygen) as shown in the video below.

http://www.water4gas.com

The HHO gas is then supplied to the engine's intake manifold or carburetor as shown in the diagram below. Our design is simple, effective and safe. Don't worry, you will get full instructions and diagrams that make it simple and clear. It takes several of minutes to connect:

You can also go to youtube.com and use the keyword "water4gas".
Anyone interested?

Last edited by Toran; 01-25-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice ad.

Nope, sorry, it's a scam. You cannot get free energy by using your car's electrical system to un-burn water and then burn the resulting gas. You can do it, but you get only a tiny amount of hydrogen and you spend more energy than you get back (naturally.)

TANSTAAFL.
-Joel.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Hawk36
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about some real unbiased testing. It sounds great on paper and should work. Before I plug a Hydrogen generator into my engine I would like to know if it will work and not toast my engine. I'm all for better fuel milage and would be very willing to build and install one of these if it was going to really work.
I could not find any source that was not affiliated with someone that was selling one of these that had done any testing.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk36
I could not find any source that was not affiliated with someone that was selling one of these that had done any testing.
That should tell you something right there.

Unless they've revoked the laws of thermodynamics, +1 to what Jfrahm said.

If you want more info, take a look over at OT. Same thing has been discussed, several times.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler are all struggling to sell cars. If this thing worked, don't you think they would buy it out or just duplicate it (since electric separation of H20 is a well-known process), mass-produce it, and put it in their cars and advertise the hell out of it?

EPA has also tested numerous "gas-miser" devices and found none that work or are worth their price.
edit: maybe not the EPA, whoever does the gas mileage testing.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that if you pour snake oil into your motor as an additive it will increase your mileage by 20%.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I've heard that if you pour snake oil into your motor as an additive it will increase your mileage by 20%.
Owl oil works better than snake oil, and there is a lot more oil in an owl than in a snake. Please be respectful of our natural resources.

-Joel.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
What do you think about the new synthetic snake oils?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't put synthetic snake oil in there if you have been running traditional snake oil or owl oil. It will cause the seals to begin leaking. I've been thru that before. It made me so mad I had to curse! Of course, you know what I said:

I'm sick of these m-f'n snakes, leaking out of this m-f'n engine!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

there's no way that the electrical system on these cars makes anywhere near enough current to convert a significant amount of water into hydrogen/oxygen gas
Old 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really hope this is a fvcking joke, whoever came up with that crap flunked highschool physics.

Repeat after me : Second law and thermodynamics states that in a system, a process can occur only if it increases the total entropy of the universe.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk36
How about some real unbiased testing. It sounds great on paper and should work. Before I plug a Hydrogen generator into my engine I would like to know if it will work and not toast my engine. I'm all for better fuel milage and would be very willing to build and install one of these if it was going to really work.
No it doesn't sound good on paper, as a matter of fact it's stupid even on paper. The water is not a store of energy - you have to use electricity to create the hydrogen, then use the hydrogen to increase engine output, which in turns runs the alternator, which creates power, which breaks down hydrogen...

It's a stupid perpetual motion machine scam...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHO IS Ozzie Freedom?

Technical information for the "Believers"
http://aardvark.co.nz/ozzie_freedom.shtml

John_AZ
1988 924S + 1987 924S
1970 914 +1977.5 924 + 1979 924---RIP
Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lol - Don't you watch MythBusters?

+a billion to hoping this was a Joke
Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I retract that... please try it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you put a big solar panel on your car, in a week or two you might get enough hydrogen gas to move the car a few feet. I do not think that amount of hydrogen would change the mpg in any meaningful way though.

From what I read, a kilogram of hydrogen has about as much energy as a gallon of gas. It takes about 50 Kwh of electricity to make and compress 1kg of hydrogen, maybe half that to just make it and not bother to compress it.

A modern car alternator might produce 1-1.5kw at full honk, using about 2-2.5HP to do it (and using 0.15 - 0.2 gallon of gas per hour I would guess.) so railing the alternator for an hour (and using some of it's output for the usual car-stuff) I figure you'll be using an extra 1/10th a gallon of gas and let's say getting 1000 watts or 1kwh. So you might be able to produce what amounts to 1/25 of a gallon of gas in the form of hydrogen per hour.

So... spend 12oz of gas to get back 6oz of gas. Plus the cost of the gadget. Kinda seems like a bad deal to me. And that supposes efficiencies you probably won't get, so it's probably more like spending 12oz of gas for what amounts to jack squat.

-Joel.

P.S. A plug-in hybrid and a big solar array would be a good way to go, and the prices in that stuff will probably be reasonable-ish in 5-10 years.

Quick Reply: Water4Gas and save your money at the pump?