Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just received steering rack from Meridian...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 01:41 AM
Jax951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Just received steering rack from Meridian...

I just bought it the other day - I mentioned that I missed the group buy due to lack of funds at the time, and they still gave me the group buy price! $295 plus shipping.

So can anyone give me some words of wisdom before starting on this project? Is there a replacmemnt procedure written up anywhere?

Thanks!

MJ
Old 12-14-2002, 08:34 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Excellence Magazine -- February 2002 has a great article on replacing this item. The used a remanuf steering rack from Griffiths. They are a bit higher priced than Meredian. Anyone out there have any thoughts on whether the quality of the remanuf process is worth approx $300 more with Griffiths racks over the Meredian racks???
Old 12-16-2002, 06:48 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Write-up on procedure: <a href="http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/steer-01.htm" target="_blank">Clark's Garage Steering Rack Replacement</a>

I have had my new rack sitting in the garage for two weeks now and haven't even opened the box yet. Kind of cool that they included return UPS shipping for the core; I didn't realise that they did that for international orders. Mind you, the UPS customs brokerage charge hurt a bit.

I have been hearing some moaning from my previously rebuilt (by ZF) steering pump and I have some leakage on the reservoir return line. I will be putting in a new power steering reservoir and flushing the pump and all lines prior to installing the new rack (better safe than sorry!)

I would also be interested in any comments on the quality of the Meridian rack. I believe they come with a lifetime warranty, so I am not too worried (many rebuilt racks come with a one year warranty.)
Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Apex
Advanced

Waterguy: thanks for that link to Clark's Garage. I bought the meridian rack. It looks great except for the bronze spray paint all over the whole thing. I liked my unfinished ZF rack better. As soon as my power steering rebuild kit arrives I'll tackle everything at once.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Waterguy,

I have a Meridian re-mfg. rack. Although it has only been a week since the installation--so far so good. My steering knuckle was also replaced--it was a nice oblong shape, and wow what a difference. I thought the car felt crisp after the new A-arms, but now I know how Porsche intended the car to steer.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Eric:

I wouldn't have thought to check the steering knuckles; good call. I assume the oblong shape was the hole for the tie rod end? Were both side gone, or just one? Did you go new or used for the replacement knuckle?
Old 12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

make sure you actually have the right rack. There are differences and there are three versions. I also got one through the group buy at meridian but ended up with the wrong rack. They didn't have the right one so I sent mine to them to rebuild -- it's suposed to be here Thursday. They 'fixed' the problem but my car has been on blocks since thanksgiving... Oh well it gave me time to do the PS pump, reservoir w/ hose, and replace all the hoses on the car, some of which were a PITA!

Quick Reply: Just received steering rack from Meridian...