Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ground lugs in the interior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How many ground lugs in the interior?

I am in the process of trouble shooting a wacky voltmeter gauge. Its been reading about 12v under most conditions. I have cleaned every external ground in the engine bay and have verified the alternator and battery are up to par with a digital voltmeter. Battery cables replaced with IceShark's (RIP) stuff about 5 months ago and that includes the supplemental ground. I stuck my head under the dash and hit 4 of the ground points (technically its two ground points with two lugs each) and the ground in the rear hatch. I have a feeling i may be missing more. Are there any on the DME side (passenger) and any behind the instrument cluster i missed? This is for a late model car.

I am going to pull the instrument cluster tomorrow to clean those black 'football' looking connectors as others have referred to them tomorrow. Im not looking forward to it though... removing the gauge cluster on airbag cars is a PITA and i also need to take out my gauge panel in the center vents.... DOH!

I think ill create a picture guide for all the ground points tomorrow, seems this type of question is brought up often. I know about the diagram but i feel like not all of them are listed..

Case in point, there are two locations (as i mentioned above) under the dash and the diagram only lists it as one. So im wondering what other ones i may have missed that are incorporated in that one point in the diagram.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures of all of the ground points would help.

I would do '2' pictures of each. One kind of up close, and another 'zoomed out'. If you did callouts on the pictures that would be good, but doing the 'close' and 'afar' pictures would be great!

I am going to have to check my footballs too....

You got that crappy little wire between the frame and the engine, right?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well after attempting to remove the gauge cluster, i couldnt pull it out more than halfway. I honestly do not know how the hell i got that thing out in the first place to install the LED lights. Anyhow, i cleaned what i could reach and i must have either jiggled something in the right way or cleaned something because i finally get normal reading from the voltmeter. I estimate its still about 1/4 of a volt off but good enough for me. Those black football looking connectors on the back looked fine but i cleaned them anyhow.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the ground points. I know im missing the one on the bellhousing, but there is so much crap covering that up on my car its impossible to get a clear picture. Mind you all of these locations are for a late 944. I know they are a little different on the early cars, specifically the under dash grounds.

1) Right front frame rail, right under the headlight motor, outboard side.

2) Left side of engine bay, just behind the strut tower.

3) Rear hatch, inboard of the left tail light.

4) Left frame rail..self explanatory.

5) Battery tray, on the fire wall

6) Under the dash, far left corner. There are two ground points, two lugs on each point.

7) Right side of engine bay, just behind the strut tower.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sticky/Add to FAQ

Are those pics going to up a lonnnnnnnnnnnggg time?

Send to Clarks-Garage to get them hosted.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix_iii
Sticky/Add to FAQ.
+1, or add to the DIY Nice pics, thanks!
Are those pics going to up a lonnnnnnnnnnnggg time?

Send to Clarks-Garage to get them hosted.
File --> Save As

This thread and the pics are going into my 944 folder on my computer, under "electric"
Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I have the pictures hosted on my webspace. So as long as i keep paying the bill, it should remain up.. .
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah great pics, very helpfull. Now that I know where they are, a little cleaning wont be bad. Definetly try and get those pics on other forums and pages. What is your webpage name, or a link to it would be great, too!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iceshark grounding cables

I know that iceshark used to sell grounding cables for our cars but I can not find them now. Do any of you guys know where I can get some and where they go?

I am bringing this old thread back up because it helped me a lot.

Last edited by Richgreenster; 09-04-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: adding
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IceShark passed away several years ago. Try PM-ing Robby (same RL username), I think he has some of Dan's stuff left.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Holy old thread Batman. Anyways I have been looking for this info for a while. Now I can get all the ground points cleaned off. Hopefully this will make a difference.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I didn't see the 2 ground point that are by the shock towers on my car? Should there have been some? Also for the gauge cluster where are those grounds at?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
UltimatE157
Instructor

Originally Posted by 86 924S Driver
I didn't see the 2 ground point that are by the shock towers on my car? Should there have been some? Also for the gauge cluster where are those grounds at?
My car as well does not have the strut tower grounds. '86 951. The ground on the front driver side frame rail has a dozen wires on it, as compared to the 2 or so wires posted by the OP.

In the garage posting as I clean the grounds... Hopefully my electrical gremlins go away.....
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Cleaning the grounds helped out a lot. I was shocked. It didn't help my running issue. But it did smooth out the idle a little bit as well my gauges seem more accurate as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 AM
FRZ
Advanced

I'm tryin' to know what is the beige part on the second and last picture.

Mine at the left is burned: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...arts-help.html

thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Pictures in post #1 no longer show.... Deleted?

Quick Reply: How many ground lugs in the interior?