Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving on a logging road...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
Or the 2 cars that spun out behind him and almost became parts cars.....
I was about a 12" away from slamming into the back end of Dmitry's car...oil soaked tires and wet pavement just do not mix. I really felt bad for all the guys who swapped ends but especially for Jim, he had just finished the car if I remember right?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Eh, I did something under my car, put it all back together and put the car back down off the jackstands, looked over in the corner, and there was my belly pan. I'll put it back on next time I have the car up.
You'll be surprised at how the oil pan gets little dings or dents in the fins from pebbles in the road.

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
I read here about some guy who took his car to a garage that did a lot of 944 work. He said there was a stack of belly pans from 944s that the mechanic had forgotten to put back on.

I'm not sure if he let them work on his car
That was me. I only discovered this after looking under my car and seeing that the pan was gone, and going back about a week later.

And actually, I never wen't back there after that.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
El Commandante
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell it and buy a turbo.... turbo diesel tiguan that is
Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forded a river in my 944. Soft deep sand approaching the banks on each side, with a sand and rock bottom. My buddy got out and cleared all the big rocks out of the river to make a path, then we both walked the river to get a feel for the path I was gonna shoot, and then I went for it! I know that if I hit the water around 100mph, I would just skip to the other bank, but being that it was deep sand approaching I didnt do that. I took it slow, and careful and kept moving at all times. The water got up just above the bottoms of the doors, according to my friend. Then we preceded to travel another 65 miles down ranch paths, unmaintaned dirt county roads etc, and THEN we got chased by a longhorn through this field. We flew across that cattle guard, holy ****.... the answer is yes you can go offroading in a 944, if you are prepared to ruin it in the process. Mine made it out alive, but only because I drive offroad alot, and I was careful.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I'm no 'expert' on them, but I have spent many a day driving down them. I also don't know about your area, and obviously these are something that will depend a lot on area. It also makes a BIG difference how 'active' the roads are. The only 'maintenance' they get is when a logging company is actively using them... and even then, it's bare minimum.
well, the trip I'm planning is to Vancouver Island, specifically to Lake Nitinat, and these are active logging roads used by HUGE logging trucks. I think it shouldn't be as bad as a typical fire road. I know regular passenger cars make it.

The question remains: will 0.8" in clearance make any meaningful difference, i.e. should I put on my winter wheels?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:57 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i dont run mine because i like to know when its leaking...
I thought that they only quit leaking when they are out of oil.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: so I took the ferry to Vancouver island yesterday, am driving on a highway, and suddenly my clutch pedal feels sticky. I added fluid to get me going (I think the slave leaks). Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to take these logging roads. I'm a bit down today, cause this was going to be an awesome long weekend (this Monday is a holiday here), and I ended up doing pretty much nothing.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan944
UPDATE: so I took the ferry to Vancouver island yesterday, am driving on a highway, and suddenly my clutch pedal feels sticky. I added fluid to get me going (I think the slave leaks). Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to take these logging roads. I'm a bit down today, cause this was going to be an awesome long weekend (this Monday is a holiday here), and I ended up doing pretty much nothing.
Look on the bright side - one thing you didn't do was get stuck in the middle of nowhere!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by azbanks
I thought that they only quit leaking when they are out of oil.
Exactly... he needs to know when it's leaking, so he can tell when it stops. That means it's time to add more oil.

Quick Reply: driving on a logging road...