Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folks - when you ship parts, PROTECT THEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Folks - when you ship parts, PROTECT THEM!!

RRRRRRrrrrrrrrr.....

RANT on:

I bought a fender from a fellow Rennlister. No names mentioned as I think the fender is potentially repairable. But now, I will be out the money to go get this damn thing fixed.

Simple rule - if you ship a part... ...ship it like you would want to receive it. This fender was wrapped in cardboard. THAT'S IT.

As a result, the pointed end/top of the fender, the point located up next to the A-pillar was all bent and curled around. No protection, no padding...nada. Only 2-ply cardboard.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr...

RANT off:

C.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Because i feared what you are going through, I am now kinda glad i fixed my rust myself. not a perfect job but very presentable IMHO for a DD, weekend DE toy.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sorry for you. In the past I have gotten packages that were very well packed, and some that were not. It makes all the difference if the parts will survive transportation, and it takes only a little more effort to pack it well.

All the rennlisters I've bought from seem to have Ph.D.s in packing!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
All the rennlisters I've bought from seem to have Ph.D.s in packing!

I'm one of the PhD holders for packing. I am religious about it.

Just frustrates the F&*$ out of me.

C.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience with a 931 header panel I bought off a 'lister. It was in a huge box with some peanuts. Both the thin parts that go under the headlights were bent to hell.

I never called the guy out on it. Mostly because I was able to hammer out most of the bad, and the body shop that painted it fixed the rest for next to nothing.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I will vouch for anything shipped by potent951turbo86... I've purchased bumpers, valences, etc... and they all arrive better destined for the afterlife than some of our relatives, facetiously stated, but they are well cared for in packing for shipment.

Conversely, I've received stuff thrown in a box too, and for what I purchased I was a bit shocked. I hear you.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the shipper! I refuse to use UPS, I don't think I have ever received a box from them that wasn't squished or torn open. I recently had an exhaust for my brothers car come via ups and the box was 90% torn in half. Needless to say, the gaskets and bolt package was gone.

When I pack parts...I do the drop test before I send it out. That way I know it will be safe....may be ugly...but safe!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Don't forget the shipper! I refuse to use UPS, I don't think I have ever received a box from them that wasn't squished or torn open. I recently had an exhaust for my brothers car come via ups and the box was 90% torn in half. Needless to say, the gaskets and bolt package was gone.

When I pack parts...I do the drop test before I send it out. That way I know it will be safe....may be ugly...but safe!
+1. Now that I have cooled off, it is indeed repairable. And looks like FedEx blew it on this one. But because it is not in a traditional "box", making a claim would prove to be difficult. (ask me how I know. )

It's all good. I'll make it work.

C.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i sent a pair of take off rims from a gto out a few years ago. i put each rim in a box. then put the box in another box, used a half roll of tape to shape the box so there was room around the edge.

the guy sends me a note that the rims came in damaged, and wanted an insurance number. i didnt insure them.

then he said forget about it, they are track wheels anyway.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a full set of design 90 wheels and tires from a lister and they used UPS, UPS lost 2 whole wheels and couldn't find them.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Yup... UPS is horrid... FedEx.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Its a fender. They are super hard to pack properly in a box that doesn't become "oversize" according to the shipper. That's why almost everyone doesn't want to ship them. That's exactly why I don't want to ship large body parts for the fear of someone throwing me under the bus here on Rennlist.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 18 inch twisties from a 'lister in Omaha...they came UPS...no problems at all. He packed them in the boxes his new rims came out of with popcorn stuff everywhere.

I think it depends on the mood of the warehouse guys...some are good, some are like Ace Ventura from HDS..."got a package people!"

ps...I should mention that UPS also tried to anally rape me by claiming 2 shipments and X2 brokerage fees...I straightened them out though with the help of the 'lister. Sometimes they are a necessary evil...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm Chad - can I say that maybe a bird(fender) in the hand(local) is worth two in the bush(shipped) ?? Just had to give you a hard time there.....
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Its a fender. They are super hard to pack properly in a box that doesn't become "oversize" according to the shipper. That's why almost everyone doesn't want to ship them. That's exactly why I don't want to ship large body parts for the fear of someone throwing me under the bus here on Rennlist.
Is that why you will only ship a fender in pieces?

Seriously, thanks. It looks great IMHO (and body filler tastes like chicken).

Quick Reply: Folks - when you ship parts, PROTECT THEM!!