Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing steering rack...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Jax951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Changing steering rack...

On Sunday I set about to replace my badly leaking steering rack with the newly rebuilt one from meridian.

Initially I thought I had to remove the balljoint/tie rod end from the hub(spindle?). I sprayed PB B'laster on the nuts, and unbolted them. I then realized that I could rotate the tie rod and unscrew it from the tie rod end, which is what I did.
I unbolted the line to the PS pump and let the fluid drain out.
I undid the bolt on the back of the steering rack (the one in the really awkward location).
I removed the bolt that holds the steering wheel shaft in place.
I removed the 4 bolts that hold the body of the steering rack in place.

Everything seems loose, but I just can't get that bugger out. It seems to be hung up on something on the upper part of the rack, but I would swear that it isn't the steering shaft - that seems to slide out easily.

Any idea what I missed?

The boot that sits on top of the tie rod end/ball joint on the passenger side is torn, and I called my parts place - they informed me that I'd have to replace the whole end piece. Do you think I should replace the tie rod ends? They seem in good shape - nice and tight, no play.

Because of the PB B'laster I think I should at least pull off the ball joints and re-grease them. How can I get them off? I tried hammering, and prying, but it won't come loose. Do I need a special tool? If I do, where can I buy it from?

Thanks!

MJ
Old 12-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
(this is not recomended because you can break off the cast spindle arm)

I smack it with a real big hammer...after soaking it with the magic of WD-40.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:53 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you made it sound like the old rack hasn't come out yet (hung up?). There is also a bolt from the steering shaft? (my manual is at home) that secures the splined shaft that is coming out of the rack to the steering shaft that must be REMOVED (not just loosened), before the rack will separate completely. The tie rod end can also be disconnected my rotating the tie rods until they back out. I tried the smacking technique, but was unsuccessful.

Quick Reply: Changing steering rack...