Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAXTRONIC Sweetness!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh really
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

ok well now thats what im doing. cant beat the price. but will it compare with vitesse stg 2 kit in quality of the tune?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
asoduk
Advanced

Just a review of Russell's work that I've seen so far:
I've tried the 944 NA chip in a couple cars now and its a very worthwhile purchase. It seems like a silly description, but it makes the car idle and rev more like a modern car. By that I mean that it is much smoother and more responsive. It also made the car sound better for some reason. Not sure why... Either way, if its legal in your class or its just a street car: get it! you won't be disappointed. However, if you care about saving $3 at the pump and/or are intimidated by electronics and "computers": move on. You do have to open the ECU and remove the old chip. It was easy for me, but so is building computers.

951 DMEI: this thing was an awesome upgrade for me. I got all of the benefits that the 944 NA chip got me, but in the turbo. Related or not, I finally beat my most fierce autocross competition (running autothority chips, and after 5 years of being 2nd place and ~1sec behind). I haven't gotten a good fuel economy reading though as its so fun to step on it whenever I get a chance.

I'll be upgrading to the 951DMEIII in the coming weeks. Can't wait!

It should also be especially noted that Russell is making constant improvements to his products and is looking to expand his product line to cover more than motronic Porsches. Great guy to deal with!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
hum looked it over. So instead of buying a vitesse kit i could grab up a larger turbo from lindsey racing grab there MAF and the send you the info for tuning the chip interesting
Not quite, but you can get a complete MAF/turbo/chip kit from Lindsey. I have developed chips for them, and they are only available through LR.

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

what im saying is i can buy a MAF and chip from you and buy a turbo from them?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
what im saying is i can buy a MAF and chip from you and buy a turbo from them?
Yes, that is correct. You guys are posting faster than I can read.

I'll check back in this evening...

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

get on AIM then
Old 10-23-2008, 02:18 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Not to steal the thread, but Ive got an N/A 8V and was thinking of switching out to E85 fuel. Any chance you might consider tuning and selling a chip for an E85 car? Perhaps make a kit and throw in some bigger injectors, fuel fittings, and a chip as some kind of package?

It seems like the N/A motor could perhaps pick up a little torque and power from being able to change the timing a hair, and getting a cooler charge for combustion...

The only thing that holds me back from doing this is that I dont want to switch out to some kind of stand-alone, and Im not competent enough to reprogram Bosche's DME chip myself...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Originally Posted by rberry951
I can't really quote you exact performance gains over what you have now, probably another 8RWHP. You would have to run at least 93 octane, but can make 100 octane version if you have that available. Everything will wear out quicker, fuel will cost more...

So much for being a salesman...

Regards,
Russell
Crap... All the stations around here have 93, now I want one to require that.. Keep us posted if you ever do.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

meaning, your chips "plug in" like DME or something? or get soldered onto a board like Audi ones?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Russel- you have a PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
Not to steal the thread, but Ive got an N/A 8V and was thinking of switching out to E85 fuel.
My personal engineering opinion, but E85 would eat your fuel system alive. There is no part of the fuel system in a 944 that was ever intended to have corn juice put through it. I mean, Germans in the 1980s would have thought that was a pretty funny joke. I think you'd be going through fuel pumps, filters, gas tanks, fuel lines (fire, fire) in an accelerated fashion.

Not worth the trouble.

Russell, what is this about "race" chips now? Looking forward to that selector; but I would definitely prefer being able to switch it with an external electronic switch instead of having to take the kick panel out.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by pjburges
Not to steal the thread, but Ive got an N/A 8V and was thinking of switching out to E85 fuel. Any chance you might consider tuning and selling a chip for an E85 car? Perhaps make a kit and throw in some bigger injectors, fuel fittings, and a chip as some kind of package?

It seems like the N/A motor could perhaps pick up a little torque and power from being able to change the timing a hair, and getting a cooler charge for combustion...

The only thing that holds me back from doing this is that I dont want to switch out to some kind of stand-alone, and Im not competent enough to reprogram Bosche's DME chip myself...
Actually setting the fueling up for E85 is not difficult, and can be done with stock injectors. But as others have mentioned, I'm not 100% convinced that E85 is good for our cars. I know people that are running it in turbo cars, but the jury is still out on long term reliability issues.

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by knfeparty
My personal engineering opinion, but E85 would eat your fuel system alive. There is no part of the fuel system in a 944 that was ever intended to have corn juice put through it. I mean, Germans in the 1980s would have thought that was a pretty funny joke. I think you'd be going through fuel pumps, filters, gas tanks, fuel lines (fire, fire) in an accelerated fashion.

Not worth the trouble.

Russell, what is this about "race" chips now? Looking forward to that selector; but I would definitely prefer being able to switch it with an external electronic switch instead of having to take the kick panel out.
The race maps I've done come in two flavors, 93 and 100 octane. I've seen people dump 100 octane in at the track with chips designed for 91 or even 89 and it actually impairs their performance. Higher octane means it burns slower and at higher temps. If your timing curve isn't designed for high octane, high octane doesn't help you. If it is set up for higher octane then you will benefit.

The street chips give the most area under the curve, the most power across the board reliably and safely. Lots of margin of safety in them. The 93 chips are a bit more aggressive, the 100 octane chips are considerably more aggressive, all are for off road use only, of course...

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by roman944
meaning, your chips "plug in" like DME or something? or get soldered onto a board like Audi ones?
85.5 and later DMEs have a socket to plug in the chip, or tuning product, the early cars need an adapter and modifications. I don't yet have a product for the early cars for that reason. But there are workarounds for that. I've not seen but have heard of using half of a BMW DME in the original which has a socketed chip. Another is to get a later 85.5 or later DME/AFM combination and put it on the early NA.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC Sweetness!!