Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frankencar update

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Frankencar update

Some of you may know the history of Frankencar. I purchased him as a pristine 1988 924S with the purpose of turning him into a track car. For the first year or so he remained relatively stock. He then morphed into Frankencar when I stuffed a 968 engine into him (for the build see: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23673 ). He served me well in DE’s in that form but I wanted to race. So, I spent a year doing time trials with NASA and managed to win all but one day of TT’ing last year (2007). He also took me to the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge where we got 3rd in the Independent/Junior Varsity Class on a course that we had never run before that day (VIR North Course). This year we went off to race wheel-to-wheel and we did well when Franky ran. We started 12 races and finished 9. In the finished races we were on the podium every race, with 4 1st places, 4 2nd places, and 1 3rd place in class (NASA GTS3 and E0; PCA GT4S; PBOC R4). In the races that we didn’t finish, we managed to spin #2 bearing on lap nine of a PCA race at Barber (while in the overall lead), lose the exhaust at a NASA enduro at Road Atlanta, and lose a radiator hose at RA causing a very exciting spin in T1 (I’m starting to think I might need a new mechanic, that would be me!). I finished the year last weekend at Road Atlanta running the 8-hr enduro. With two co-drivers, we managed to finish 1st in class (E0) and 14th overall even though we broke the header 3 hours into the race. We spent close to 1.75 hours in the pits trying to keep her together over the remainder of the race. It was a fantastic team event, and I plan to run it again next year and warned my co-drivers that I wanted to do the 12 hours at VIR as well.

So, what’s next for Frankencar. Well, both of my co-drivers expressed their concerns that my car was under-braked and under-tired. I knew that already but was being cheap trying to continue to run 15” wheels. To fix the problem, I have been hunting down good buys on 17” track wheels for the past two months and scored a full set of 968 brakes. However, before they can go on I need to update the spindles and hubs and thanks to 2 RL’ers there are two full sets on their way to me. The Leda struts will be heading to Racer’s Edge on Monday to be rebuilt and have new mounts welded on to fit the updated struts. Last but not least, it’s time to add fiberglass. Here’s a shot of the GT racing fiberglass fenders that I scored from another RL’er a year or two ago. Tucked underneath is a set of 275 hoho’s. Rear GT flares and a fiberglass hood will leave Colorado on Monday for the final transformation. Not going overboard with the GT look, just need to be able to get the wheels and brakes under the body. I’ll try to keep this thread updated with the latest metamorphosis.
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome. How many people have swapped a 968 engine into a 924? It cant be many. Do you plan on keeping the same paint/vinyl color scheme or doing something completely different for the next season and the 12 hour race?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love your car Tim, keep us up to date on your progress!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 AM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty cool to see a car like this. I like it when someone takes the time to upgrade their car with newer Porsche technology. Lets face it we're never going to see a 944 on the podium at the Barrett Jackson Auction any time in the near future.....so you don't have to worry about keeping the car so original that it's a "true survivor" or "time capsule"...lol (I keep seeing those terms for 944's listed on eBay). You might as well make it more fun to drive.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember Frankenhooker, but not Frankencar. Sorry. J/K. Looks great!! Or was that TJ Hooker??
Old 12-13-2008, 01:10 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944 on podium at Barrett Jackson

Believe it or not, there were at least two of them sold there within the past 6 months. A thread here discussed them both.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Congratulations on your successes! It sounds like a blast. I can't wait til I'm in a position where I can get a track car setup.

Out of curiosity did you measure the weight savings switching to the gt parts? I've read some people say the advertised weight savings are overly optimistic and others say they are correct. I'm considering buying some in the future.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

hey those fenders look familiar!!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Do you plan on keeping the same paint/vinyl color scheme or doing something completely different for the next season and the 12 hour race?
Doubtful. The current "Lightning McQueen" spray bomb job was done on a whim last winter when my daughter came into the garage and said my car looked like LM. I had done some bondo work and Franky needed to be painted in a hurry before the first race. The colors are Rustoleum safety red, safety yellow, and safety blue; I'm all about safety.

This time I'm going to let a pro do the paint job. Will likely take it back to Guard's Red but who knows.

Originally Posted by Ecos
Out of curiosity did you measure the weight savings switching to the gt parts? I've read some people say the advertised weight savings are overly optimistic and others say they are correct. I'm considering buying some in the future.
I'll weigh the parts as they go on. I've got corner balance scales so I know the current weight (2,350 with 2 gal of gas and no driver).

Originally Posted by Airflite40
hey those fenders look familiar!!!!
Yep, they have been quietly sitting in the basement waiting for this winter!

Will begin rehabing the 968 brake set that I have, what color should I paint them given that the car will likely be red? Yellow, Red, or Black?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim-
Now I can see what the parts will be going on...

One more thing about the front hubs & spindles you have to give me a ride (or the keys ) when you come up to VIR next time...

Congrats on the build

Another question, if you're putting 275's on the front what are you stuffing on the rear?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Tim-
Now I can see what the parts will be going on...

One more thing about the front hubs & spindles you have to give me a ride (or the keys ) when you come up to VIR next time...

Congrats on the build

Another question, if you're putting 275's on the front what are you stuffing on the rear?
275's all around is what I'm thinking. I know, I know, it's not conventional with what the supercup and turbo guys are doing, but I think it will work well. Good turn in and stopping by having the extra tread up front and 275's in the rear should keep me from spinning the wheels coming out of corners. Biggest issue will be increased unsprung weight and rolling resistance.

I've always run a non-staggered setup and like it that way, both for handling and tire life.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lemming; 12-13-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim
Congrats on a great year!
I am sure lots of guys in the paddock looked at ol' Frankie as the under dog.
Sounds like you are on your way to dominating your class next year, and moving up the field for overall classification.

Smokie
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Here's the result of busting the lower radiator hose going into T1 at Road Atlanta. Glad the photographer was ready
Attached Images      
Old 12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have run 16" 245's on all four corners for the last 2 years in my modified S2 but felt I needed a little more rear tire so I could get on the gas earlier in the corner.
I recently picked up a set of 18" BBS LM (light) and will be running the 245/275 setup next season. It should also give me a little crisper turn in going from RA-1 to Hoosiers...
I have the S4 brake setup in front and it is phenomenal

My car is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than yours though...
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

really nice. I love the balance of the car in those off road pics.

Quick Reply: Frankencar update