Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"hacksaw Koni" conversion assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "hacksaw Koni" conversion assembly question

OK, so I have the old struts out of the S2, and have stripped them down (removed bearing nuts, springs, boots etc.)

Not quite what I expected. There doesn't seem to be anything on the old strut under the boot resembling a bump stop. Is this normal?

Question 2: On the "comic book" instructions that came with the Koni inserts, there aren't unambiguous instructions of where the big flat white nylon washers are supposed to sit. The instructions show what appears to be a split "spring" washer to sit at the base of the insert (where you would expect a bump stop to go.) The split washers supplied won't fit there, though... they appear to match the bearing nut. The instructions don't indicate if there is supposed to a washer under the bearing nut... I noticed there wasn't one under the nut on the original struts.

Therefore, I assume the big white nylon washer is supposed to go at the base where the bump stop would be (nothing else supplied looks like it will fit.) Is the purpose of the nylon washer to act as a bump stop?

Finally, is the intention to re-use the blue concertina-style boot that comes with the original strut? It doesn't look like the one shown in the instructions (which is more conical shaped.)

I really need some clarification of what's what here... if I need new boots and bump stops, I wish they'd make that clear!

If anyone who's rebuilt one of these could chime in, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Also, I notice my original struts appear "beefier" than the ones shown here in Paragon Tech-session "how to":

Are these beefier struts the S2 OEM Sachs struts? Or are mine something different?

The blue boots look like Bilstein... could these have been converted with Bilstein inserts at some stage? Was there ever a "hacksaw Bilsteins" kit made? There's also a threaded section at the base of my struts that makes it look like these struts are supposed to be rebuildable with new inserts...

I'm just trying to figure out what I've actually got here...
Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

It appears that these struts have had some sort of a "hacksaw Bilstein" conversion done at some stage.

The strut insert has a imprint in the steel that reads "Bilstein 806 0040 H104".

The sticker on the bottom of the casing indicates the original Porsche/Sachs part # 944.343.032.19

You can see where the insert housing has been welded in:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mark944na86; 01-27-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you got is new Koni yellows to install. You should measure if you have enough lenght left to install the Konis (if you cut below the weld). Measure the diameter of the strut to see if the Konis fit.

Plastic washers location is shown Paragon Tech-session "how to".
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?article=36
Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joonas
What you got is new Koni yellows to install.
Yes, I'd figured that much out !

You should measure if you have enough lenght left to install the Konis (if you cut below the weld).
Yeah, it's hard to know for sure because the measurements given in the Koni instructions are from the top, rather from the bottom.

It appears the raised studs on the inserts are supposed to be 6mm below the cut... if I knew that for certain I could measure the distance from the bottom that way.

Measure the diameter of the strut to see if the Konis fit.
Well, the question is whether there is anything compromised about the internal diameter from when they were adapted to accept the Bilstein inserts ... if they inserted an additional sleeve that can't be removed, I may be in trouble.

At this stage I can either cut and hope for the best, or try to investigate further by getting the caps off to remove the inserts.

Those caps are on tight though, and I haven't got the Bilstein tool to remove them.

Plastic washers location is shown Paragon Tech-session "how to".
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?article=36
Yeah, thanks, I saw that... they even describe what they're for. Which all means I need a set of boots and bump stops anyway (since I can't the Bilsteins would be re-usable.)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Yes, I'd figured that much out !
Yeah, it's hard to know for sure because the measurements given in the Koni instructions are from the top, rather from the bottom.
Look Paragon instructions
Mark for cutting: For the 944 conversion from Boge/Sachs struts you're shooting for 325mm (~12 13/16")

The importance of this measurement is that it provides just enough clearance for the mounting bolt to start pulling the insert into the casing while still retaining as much of the casing as possible. A tolerance of ~1mm on either side is perfectly acceptable.

The new Koni strut has locating tabs that will stop the insert from seating all the way in the case.

You cannot push the inserts in by hand (locating tabs) so you have to cut the strut as much as you need to use the bolts to pull the insert in.

Locating tabs will be pulled inside the strut.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Thanks joonas, 325mm is what I needed to know.

Now it's just a question of whether the Bilstein conversion has compromised the original internal diameter in any way...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
tk's944
Pro

The white tab is an anti suction device between the bump stop and top of the strut. I guess with out it the bump stop will stick to the strut and damage it.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 PM
tdz
Intermediate

I was going to offer my old struts until I noticed Brisbane, Australia. Oops.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Melchior
Pro

Those crazy Australians with their Frankenstein struts!

Quick Reply: "hacksaw Koni" conversion assembly question