Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That special feeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That special feeling

I love taking my 944 out. It's not the newest car out there. It's not the prettiest. If I took it to a concourse show, it'd certainly not be the cleanest. But its mine and I couldn't be prouder to take it out on a nice day just to show off. Just my car, my shades and me.

I can get lost on any back road and drive for hours just because... If I'm not in a hurry I look for the long way home, and sometimes I set out to work early so I can drive around before having to park it for most of the day. And when it all comes down to the end, I think this car returns every busted thumb and penny wasted to keep it rolling in the smiles.

I love the reaction I get with this thing. Everything from people looking over as I creep past on the highway to someone in a parking lot grabbing their friend's attention and pointing at me, driving by. Not to mention, since I've gotten this car, I've gotten more hoops and "Hey Sexy!" shout outs from the ladies in public. I even had a couple girls flash me one night about a week back. This car is a real ego booster. It doesn't have to be a 911 or Ferrari. People like it.

Now go out and smile at your 944. Do it. Then come back and post why you like driving yours.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been taking my old '85 apart (totaled by insurance) in my garage. sitting outside the garage, waiting somewhat impatiently, is my S2. Every time I look at the sad hulk of a car in my garage (no engine, doors, hatch, hood, or interior), all I have to do is look out the garage door and say to myself "it's not so bad, is it?"
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
tk's944
Pro

I love the fact that I know my car is not the fastest car out there but it is fast enough for me. I love the feeling of going around a corner as fast as I can, the G's pushing you against those very ugly but comfortable seats. I love when to pull up to a red light and see how close I can wait to hit the brakes. I love the fact I can go to autocross every weekend then drive my car every day. And I love how my car can be one of the fastest at autocross but with one of the lowest amount of horse power.

They say there are 3 major moments of owning a Porsche.

The moment you want one
The moment you own one
And the moment you owned one for 10 years

I hope one day in the near future I can be lucky enough to buy a nice 951.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 AM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

Hey - nice thread. We need to enjoy these neat cars.
How many 20+ year old sports cars are still out there making the driver smile. Few. We take the Porsche build quality for granted. I drive mine relentlessly on the track. You'll not find many 20 year old, track-capable BMW's out there - - - LOL.
My S2 is not concours quality - but I've still seen guys taking pictures with their cell phone at a stop light. Among those who know - we have a classic.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

It's like I told a guy one time, who wanted to know why I liked 944's so much. I said,

"They're made like true sports cars that are built to do what a sports car does. Not like a Civic Si, or Cobalt SS, or even a Miata. You can beat on those cars, but you'd better be careful. And you have to administer the beating in moderation, or risk breaking a weak part. With the 944 you can beat it silly and it will just turn to you and say, 'Im sorry, did you just tap me on the shoulder?' And then you drive it home from the track. Because Porsche knew what their customers would do with their cars."
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after driving a 98 corolla for the past 2 weeks while fixing my 944 I had such a great drive to work today lol.

I love the feel of the 944 how you sit so low and how the sport seats are so comfy and great for long drives. I also agree that even the 944 na is fast enough for me to have fun in
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

people giving you thumbs up? yep
people waveing at you? yep
people tell tell their kids to turn back and check out the red sports car behind them? yep
those kids waving and shouting at you? yep
random people @ lunch places checking out your car? yep
gas stations? you bet!
cruising nights? for sure!
@ the autocross events? definetly
@ our euro g2g? OH YES

the one thing though, when people ask if its a turbo, and I tell them no

I would love the power, but I would probably hate the maintenance; who knows? I think if I move up to a 2nd 944 it will be an S2
Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

oh wow that many people have ones they can actually drive?

I love having my head sitting around in the apartment and most of the engine bay being apart in the hatch area. People ask what the head is and I tell them "a paperweight."
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

What a doozie. I thought more people enjoyed their 944's.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
RED87944S
Racer

i love how my 944 s is siting in the garage for last couple of months and being a **** box...while my gsxr is broken also...what a nice day
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Last night I took mine out to "stretch her legs". I was originally only washing and waxing, but it was such a nice evening I couldn't let her just sit there looking so good. I called out to my wife "Back in 10 minutes!".

45 minutes later... still
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only had my 924s for about a month and despite its issues (no rear defroster in a colorado winter is not fun) I've been totally digging the feel. This weekend i found a nice back road and drove it pretty hard for the first time in a back road enviroment. It was awesome, the sound past 4k on the tach is just amazing. i came back after a 3 hour outing with a huge smile on my face. The car has been great for my snowboarding expeditions as well, it had a flawless weekend 2 weekends ago as it carted me around Summit County (keystone and copper mountain) snow tires FTW!

I don't know that the people around here really care that much about it, people do look but i don't get very many people that look excited to see it. I get cut off more but thats colorado springs for you.

I know its got some suprises in-store for me but its ok. Next month it gets a total front end rebuild with new konis all the way around.. I cant wait.. Now i just need a 18mm rear sway or something that goes nice with a 21.5 front.

I love my red 924s!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

We take the Porsche build quality for granted. I drive mine relentlessly on the track. You'll not find many 20 year old, track-capable BMW's out there - - - LOL.
Rod bearings
Rubber center clutch
Fuel lines
Cam chain and tensioner
Control arms
Ring and pinion

But other than that, 944s are tough track cars.

(Even though your point is well taken, I couldn't take it sitting down. I have access to other 944s and don't turn down seat time. )
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMMMM, so close now to the 951 making its debut on the roads around me... I long for the feel of the wheel in my hands, the surge of the power, the next turn calling me...MMMMM, so close now
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Originally Posted by RED87944S
i love how my 944 s is siting
I know how you feel, i have no idea whats wrong with mine

Quick Reply: That special feeling