Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing MSD blaster2 + ballast resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I must admit I was quite sceptical the first time I installed one (86na), but I trusted and respected Skip Grehan's opinion enough to try out the "standard" set-up (MSD 6a + coil, and upgraded 8.5mm Magnecor leads). I liked it enough that when I got my S2, I tried the same installation in that, also with good results.
Right - you replaced a nasty old coil and wires and your car ran better. That's called a partial tune-up. Replace that stuff with stock, drive and dyno it, then replace with whatever you put on and do the same and I'll be VERY surprised if you find any difference at all. Certainly not as much as a good "performance chip".
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Right - you replaced a nasty old coil and wires and your car ran better. That's called a partial tune-up. Replace that stuff with stock, drive and dyno it, then replace with whatever you put on and do the same and I'll be VERY surprised if you find any difference at all. Certainly not as much as a good "performance chip".
Whatever. It worked. The bang was good for the buck. As in the question of oils, I care more about the practical results than the endless theoretical debates, particularly with those whose opinions are somewhat weightier than their actual experience.

Or have you actually done any of these dyno tests of which you speak?

No. I didn't think so. And that's the difference -- I speak from direct experience, whereas you speak from -- well, let's just say a position that simply reflects your assumptions and prejudices on the matter.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No, but I, as well as many other people, HAVE replaced good stock parts on many-a-car with this low level MSD stuff and have found no positive difference. Which puts me a position of actually having replaced good parts with these.

That's fine - if you like to spend your money that way, you are in good company. That's how these product lines continue to stay on the shelves. If it will do even the same things as stock, but costs less, even better. This car may be the rare case where the economics actually work out on that one.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard endless debates on MSD versus stock, etc. Most of the guys that have REAL experience with this. Who have spent a lot of time on the track. Who have torn multiple 944's apart. And who have dyno'd several cars over the years have said one thing. "Don't even worry about using that stuff. Doesn't make any real difference. You don't need it."

This was at my original inquiry of DIS on 944's and spark upgrades. Most guys just told me to replace the OE stuff with new parts. I'm more interested in what works on the track anyway. Thus the people I try to learn from.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, but I, as well as many other people, HAVE replaced good stock parts on many-a-car with this low level MSD stuff and have found no positive difference. Which puts me a position of actually having replaced good parts with these.
So let me get this straight -- you are claiming to have replaced good stock parts on a NA 944 with a) a MSD Blaster 2 coil, b) MSD 6A igntion, and c) Magnecor 8.5mm wires, and found no difference? 'scuse me while I turn off my BS detector. It's going nuts...

That's fine - if you like to spend your money that way, you are in good company. That's how these product lines continue to stay on the shelves. If it will do even the same things as stock, but costs less, even better. This car may be the rare case where the economics actually work out on that one.
So this is the heart of the matter. The smug, condescending "I'm too smart to be sucked in to all that marketing hype -- unlike all you simple fools" attitude. It sounds to me what this is really all about trying to prove (to yourself?) what a smart guy you are.

Truth, if you were half as smart as you seem to imagine you are, you'd be a pretty smart guy. But sorry, I just don't see it. Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my MSD, I like it even more because it cost less than OEM.<--- That is a period at the end...

I would prefer Individual coils and the addition of a stand alone EMS but, my DME is working just fine in both cars, if one ever goes out, then it is time for some real fun...

MSD is what it is, a cheap, bolt on mod.... and on these cars it is cheaper than stock replacement parts...

I challenge anyone to argue the advantages or disadvantage of stand alone EMS/individual coils (or even wasted spark)

Oh, and arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

For an NA, I would recommend one of these over a "performance chip" anyday.
That's funny.

I must have missed where you posted your before / after dyno charts. Can you provide the link?

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I like my MSD, I like it even more because it cost less than OEM.<--- That is a period at the end...
<snip>
MSD is what it is, a cheap, bolt on mod.... and on these cars it is cheaper than stock replacement parts...
BINGO - this is the meat and potatoes of this discussion.

I was looking into a 6AL for my 928 (couple of other people running NOS and boost have used them with success).
Not because of any possible performance gains, the OEM unit is expensive.

I challenge anyone to argue the advantages or disadvantage of stand alone EMS/individual coils (or even wasted spark)
There was a good debate on this in the 928 forum. It was buried in a different topic so I'm not able to find it (a lot to weed through IIRC).

I'll be going with a wasted spark setup on my 79, probably MegaSquirt.
The owner of the 1,000+hp 928 I mentioned above will be going to Cayanne coil over plugs soon. They fit quite well into the 928S4 head (same fitment as the 944S / S2)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
luftpirate
Pro

I just did the install today w/ the resistor. The resistor mounts easy right next to the coil, Ill have pics up in a bit. Everything works fine, my only complaint is the primary wire doesn't seem to seat well onto the coil. I feel like it may pop off at sometime, but maybe not since that plastic coil cover will hold it on.

Anyone else have problems with this?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a very small screw driver or a scribe, and vent the air out of the boot. My wires want to push themselves off the distributor cap, until I release the trapped air, then they want to suction themselves on.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
luftpirate
Pro

^^^ Ok thanks. I ended up getting some of the air out and it seems to stay on better. I am just concerned because I can tell the metal prongs aren't applying much pressure (or partially because only one is lined up) to the inside of the coil connector.

Here's my install with the ballast mounted on top the support bracket for the headlight motor.

Quick Reply: Installing MSD blaster2 + ballast resistor