Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 V8 swap (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiring is easy. especially if its jut tieing power into the harness. too bad your so far away i would roll over there and do it for you.

i have to bacically wire full stand alones every time i convert a truck over to propane.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly i'm not surprised it would be easy, but it's my COMPLETE lack of experience that's holding me back and scaring me a little bit. I'm very good with my hands (otherwise i wouldn't have gotten this far) but i don't know anything about wiring, even after reading about it for hours and looking at diagrams (more like staring at blankly asking "what the hell?")

does anyone know of any nice instructions on how to do this? Or anyone that could lend me a hand?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

your not gonna find "how to" articals on bringing power too the fuse block. do you have a wiring diagram for the harness your using? are you using the ECU from the engine or somthing else.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

If were anywhere near you I'd help (I'm useless with a wrench, but computers and wiring is a different story).

How did you pay for the computer and wiring harness? I'm going to an LS3 soon, and there's a blank line in my budget plan because I have no idea how much I can expect to spend on that particular piece of the puzzle.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944

what bell housing are you using and how is the slave cylinder working??
You have a few different options, I am going to use a C5 bell housing, with an adapter plate made by a guy on the Porschehybrids board, and use the C5 slave that goes in the bellhousing. flywheel and pressure plate matching the motor and a clutch diameter that matches the motor, but splined 1" by 23 spline, which if i understand correctly is a lot of 70's american cars.

The biggest hurdles are the fact you loose the brake booster, some people go power boost from a BMW. I will probably just go manual and redrill the brake pedal for more leverage. and drivers side header, all aftermarket ones for the LS series engines interfere with the steering shaft.

Mark
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
your not gonna find "how to" articals on bringing power too the fuse block. do you have a wiring diagram for the harness your using? are you using the ECU from the engine or somthing else.
i've been going off of the stuff on the porsche hybrids wiki (porschehybrids.pbwiki.com) but i really don't understand it much. I'm using an ecu from a 96 camaro.

Originally Posted by Whisper
If were anywhere near you I'd help (I'm useless with a wrench, but computers and wiring is a different story).

How did you pay for the computer and wiring harness? I'm going to an LS3 soon, and there's a blank line in my budget plan because I have no idea how much I can expect to spend on that particular piece of the puzzle.
my computer was 60 and the harness was 35 (because i pulled it myself). Yours will probably be more expensive because it's for an LS
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

got a wiring diagram for that car? the 96 camaro i mean. ill tell you exactly what you need to do.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

see if one of the 5.7 vortec intakes will swap
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
i've been going off of the stuff on the porsche hybrids wiki (porschehybrids.pbwiki.com) but i really don't understand it much. I'm using an ecu from a 96 camaro.

my computer was 60 and the harness was 35 (because i pulled it myself). Yours will probably be more expensive because it's for an LS
Okay, well, I think I should be okay then. I have budgeted about 3k in "oh, ****" money, which is basically for all the "Oh, ****, I need XYZ! I didn't even think of that!" moments that I am sure to have.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

To the OP...beware of the VATS. You will need to disable it...which means sending your computer off to a tuner to take it out... or by a VATS disable module. Without either option...you will not get it to fire...

As far as the engine not fitting under the hood without cutting it... I will keep my comments to myself.

As far as the wiring goes, the easiest way would be to go to Howell Fuel Injection located in MI, and buy one of their complete harnesses. You also send them yuor computer, and they swap it out with one of theirs...which has the VATS removed, your choice on emissions or no emissions, and chipped as well. That is what I did on my Jeep rockcrawler... spend just over a grand on the wiring and computer.... 5 wires later, it started right up...and over 3 years of no problems whatso ever. Chipped, the engine will give you about 320HP at the crank.... sotck it is 285, corvette LT-1 is 310 from the factory...the difference is the ignition timing, exhaust manifolds, and different ECU parameters....

Whisper, a low milage LS-3 is around 5 to 7 grand.... I have been looking for months now... I went with a LS-2 from a 05 vette.... got a good deal on it~!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Whisper, a low milage LS-3 is around 5 to 7 grand.... I have been looking for months now... I went with a LS-2 from a 05 vette.... got a good deal on it~!!!!
Where have you been looking? I've found a bunch of places selling a new crate LS3s for a little over 6k.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

Some of the LS forums... Does the crate engine come with wiring harness / computer, etc?... and also the come with transmissions ( I know that we dont need them in our case, but just the engine alone w/o the trans are few and far between)

Whisper, if you would like to talk to me about the wiring harnes/ computer options out there... pm me and I will give you my number..

Last edited by turbobrat930; 04-01-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
got a wiring diagram for that car? the 96 camaro i mean. ill tell you exactly what you need to do.
http://lt1swap.com/1994_f_body_wire_harness_schemat.htm

is that what you're looking for?

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
see if one of the 5.7 vortec intakes will swap
the intake i have on there is a 58mm ported intake that's been powder coated, and i don't want to pull it back off and sell it, since it's matched to my 58mm BBK throttle body

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
To the OP...beware of the VATS. You will need to disable it...which means sending your computer off to a tuner to take it out... or by a VATS disable module. Without either option...you will not get it to fire...

As far as the engine not fitting under the hood without cutting it... I will keep my comments to myself.

As far as the wiring goes, the easiest way would be to go to Howell Fuel Injection located in MI, and buy one of their complete harnesses. You also send them yuor computer, and they swap it out with one of theirs...which has the VATS removed, your choice on emissions or no emissions, and chipped as well. That is what I did on my Jeep rockcrawler... spend just over a grand on the wiring and computer.... 5 wires later, it started right up...and over 3 years of no problems whatso ever. Chipped, the engine will give you about 320HP at the crank.... sotck it is 285, corvette LT-1 is 310 from the factory...the difference is the ignition timing, exhaust manifolds, and different ECU parameters....

good catch on the VATS module, i didn't know about that. The ebay bypass modules are probably crap right? is there a way to disable that function without buying expensive stuff from painless etc?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
the intake i have on there is a 58mm ported intake that's been powder coated, and i don't want to pull it back off and sell it, since it's matched to my 58mm BBK throttle body
in that case, time for a M3-style hood bulge
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

ill sit down and make you a wiring diagram for your car later, right now im at work

Quick Reply: 944 V8 swap (with pics)