Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 V8 swap (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Are you sure the hood won't shut. I know of a few people with stock LT-1 intakes on there 944s and the hood will shut fine with no scoop.
+1

Is this because he choose to use the stock oil pan in lieu of the kit pan?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my kit didn't come with a pan, and i wasn't going to wait the month it would take for renegade to get one made. So i took the stock pan and modified it slightly, but i didn't want to deal with any kind of crankshaft interference so i left it just deep enough. However, i only have about an inch from the bottom of the oil pan to the crossmember, so lowering it 1/2 an inch closer wouldn't gain me nearly anything up top in terms of not cutting the hood.

Ethan

p.s. i have an extra hood that i'll cut so i won't cut the original one, just in case!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
my kit didn't come with a pan, and i wasn't going to wait the month it would take for renegade to get one made. So i took the stock pan and modified it slightly, but i didn't want to deal with any kind of crankshaft interference so i left it just deep enough. However, i only have about an inch from the bottom of the oil pan to the crossmember, so lowering it 1/2 an inch closer wouldn't gain me nearly anything up top in terms of not cutting the hood.

Ethan

p.s. i have an extra hood that i'll cut so i won't cut the original one, just in case!
Gotcha.

Just curious, that's all.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Just an FYI, the stock engine and p-steer res. stick up quite a bit above the fenders as well. You may want to double check with the hood some time. I am not saying that it will fit, just saying you may want to be doubly sure.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

alright, i'll check, good to know!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

just as info...the headers ended being way to wide, so they're going back, i'm going to try the patriot tight tuck shorties next, they should definitely at least be workable...

also, i finished modifying the wiring harness (removing everything i needed to remove...EGR, AIR, auto trans etc) Still need to figure out how to get power to stuff, and how to connect the harness into some of the porsche fuse block...

Ethan
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 AM
dream951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just as info...the headers ended being way to wide, so they're going back, i'm going to try the patriot tight tuck shorties next, they should definitely at least be workable...

also, i finished modifying the wiring harness (removing everything i needed to remove...EGR, AIR, auto trans etc) Still need to figure out how to get power to stuff, and how to connect the harness into some of the porsche fuse block...

Ethan
I got my power for my ecu harness by using the old porsche connector right next to the master cylinder. IIRC its the 14 pin connector under the little black plactic cover and from there you can get ignition power and it goes thru the fuse block.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

that's very good to know...i knew about the 14 pin connector, at least that you could tie in some of the gauge senders there, but i didn't know you could get ignition power!

I have a question...if i tie in the wiring harness through that connector, will i need to fuse my fuel injectors separately, or will it be fine working with the stock fuse block?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

let us know what pin you find the ignition power source... when I get my engine in, I will have the wiring harness from Howell..... But still would like to get power from the connector....
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
dream951
Advanced

that's very good to know...i knew about the 14 pin connector, at least that you could tie in some of the gauge senders there, but i didn't know you could get ignition power!

I have a question...if i tie in the wiring harness through that connector, will i need to fuse my fuel injectors separately, or will it be fine working with the stock fuse block?
It should be working thru the stock fuse block but it wont hurt to throw another inline fuse to it. I only used 3 pins out of the 14. I used pin 2 for ignition power to my PCM and Pin 3 for my gauges, WB o2, etc.. Also pin 5 is for the fuel pump.

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
let us know what pin you find the ignition power source... when I get my engine in, I will have the wiring harness from Howell..... But still would like to get power from the connector....
See Above.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

the porsche hybrids wiki shows pins 2 and 4 as 87 and 87a, is this where you got power from? there are two battery feed (powered) wires coming from the pcm connector, is this where they should go? or can i splice them and run a single wire to pin 2? Also, you got all of your gauges to work through one pin? how'd ya do that?

i didn't know you needed a connection for the fuel pump, does that come from the pcm?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
dream951
Advanced

the porsche hybrids wiki shows pins 2 and 4 as 87 and 87a, is this where you got power from? there are two battery feed (powered) wires coming from the pcm connector, is this where they should go? or can i splice them and run a single wire to pin 2? Also, you got all of your gauges to work through one pin? how'd ya do that?

i didn't know you needed a connection for the fuel pump, does that come from the pcm?

When I tested the pins to see what was power, ground, gauges etc... on the 14 pin on the firewall, I noticed that the pins on the porsche hybrids wiki didnt match mine, yet my engine/wiring is running perfect with no problems to date.

I just ran a single wire to pin 2 and she worked like a champ and as far as gauges, i forgot to mention that im running seperate autometer gauges instead of the modified VDO gauges you need for the engine to output the correct voltage to the cluster. I used pin 3 for power to the gauges.

To energize the fuel pump you need to ground out pin 5 from that 14 pin connector on the firewall this way the fuel pump will come on when you turn the ignition on, otherwise your fuel pump relay will not get energized. On my harness when I hooked up the fuel pump wire to pin 5 i did not energize my relay and i got my test light out and found out that my PCM was supplying power and the porsche needs a ground.

Now all this above worked great for me, but I also swapped an LS1 and not an LT1 so some of the wiring maybe a little different on the PCM side but as far as where I ran my ignition power, that should all be the same and I hope this works out for you.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

so you just ran a ground wire from the pin 5 to the frame/firewall somewhere? that sounds doable. I'm probably going to have to get some aftermarket guages because i have no idea how to hook up mine, either that or i'll get an active monitoring system (that's what my friend who has one of these does, hooks up his laptop to the engine computer and monitors all of the signals that way)

Thanks!
Ethan
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM
dream951
Advanced

so you just ran a ground wire from the pin 5 to the frame/firewall somewhere? that sounds doable. I'm probably going to have to get some aftermarket guages because i have no idea how to hook up mine, either that or i'll get an active monitoring system (that's what my friend who has one of these does, hooks up his laptop to the engine computer and monitors all of the signals that way)

Thanks!
Ethan
Yeah, thats what I did, just ground it anywhere really. And I like that idea about that monitoring system.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

cool, thanks for your help!

Ethan

Quick Reply: 944 V8 swap (with pics)