Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio repair

Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Radio repair

I have a CR1 am/fm cassette that powers up but displays nothing on the display. There is a CA company on ebay that repairs these for $370 no matter what the issue. Do you think that is a good deal? Anyone use them? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-CR-1...tVUPDi&vxp=mtr
Old 08-07-2017, 12:53 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do I think that is a good deal? Nope.

Here's my story. My 1980 Corvette needed a radio and no way was I going to put a Japanese aftermarket radio in my American Muscle Car. Anyhow I picked up the cleanest looking Delco AM/FM radio off of eBay and sent it out to have it rebuilt. Installed OEM speakers. Well I would have been better off with a kids "Speak and Say". The parts to fix old Radios are about as common as high performance tires in the 15 inch size.

A Delco radio was better than a Blaupunkt radio of the same era. So how badly do you want a OEM radio?

And guys don't be posting here how much better you think Blaupunkt's are better than Delco's because the truth is they both sucked.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marc abrams
So how badly do you want a OEM radio?
I'm a stock purist so I want the original radio. And have you seen the prices on used CR1s these days? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...hWs6cz&vxp=mtr
Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeff968
And have you seen the prices on used CR1s these days?
No, but I've seen the prices for new radio's that actually work at Crutchfield.com
Old 08-07-2017, 02:19 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marc abrams
No, but I've seen the prices for new radio's that actually work at Crutchfield.com
and I'm sure they sound 100% better too but as stated, I want the original.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff, does it produce any sound, just wondering if it was only the display not working. Will it play a cassette.
You could look to see if you could see any cold solder joints or anything loose.

Chances are you will have to send it to a repair service. If you want an original radio then you probably have few choices. The CR1 is getting hard to find and when you do are expensive. Maybe a member will read this and offer one to buy.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:04 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Thanks Charlie, the unit powers up but displays nothing, just lights up. I called the repair company and they were very helpful. They indicated that it could come back and request the code (which I have) but I need to leave it power on for up to 2 hours. I got the radio in this state. If this doesn't work then I'll send it to them. It is in great shape looks-wise, just locked up.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,

I bought an adapter from this same outfit, and after installing it, found out that the unit was bad. They were nice enough during the return process, but the whole process of purchase, tryout and return was a pain, with no reward at the end. Also during the process, I did not get a sense that they were particularly tech savvy.

There is an earlier thread (that you participated in) about repair for the CR-1, and the suggestion was made to try and get this repaired by Alpine (the original manufacturer). I would trust sending a radio to Alpine a lot more than to this place (which seems to be slightly more than a neighborhood car stereo installer).

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...io-repair.html

Nathan
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeff968
I want the original.
I hear you brother. I felt the same way with the Vette. I had to buy a pricey bezel to install the Delco radio. A few months later I dremel that pricey bezel to fit in a Pioneer radio. I basically thrown about $400 out the window the same way John Leguizamo throws money out of his GTO.

For those who don't live in the North East:
Old 08-07-2017, 06:18 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nathan J.
Jeff,

I bought an adapter from this same outfit, and after installing it, found out that the unit was bad. They were nice enough during the return process, but the whole process of purchase, tryout and return was a pain, with no reward at the end. Also during the process, I did not get a sense that they were particularly tech savvy.

There is an earlier thread (that you participated in) about repair for the CR-1, and the suggestion was made to try and get this repaired by Alpine (the original manufacturer). I would trust sending a radio to Alpine a lot more than to this place (which seems to be slightly more than a neighborhood car stereo installer).

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...io-repair.html

Nathan
Thanks Nathan. Interesting. they have 100% positive feedback on eBay and like I said, the gentlemen I spoke with was very kind to suggest this fix prior to me pulling and sending him the unit. I'll post what happens.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

a blank screen codelock from too many attempts.

the brits will reset your code for twenty pounds but I would try holding the power button down for a few seconds to see if the display pops back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio repair