Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get alot of attention in your 944?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you get alot of attention in your 944?

So my car is getting a abnormal amount of attention. I've had it back now a couple of months and I'm used to the occasional thumbs or up "nice car" bit. I lived in Dallas and honestly most people just didn't pay me any mind. Some thought it was a rx7 or corvette at times.

But, ever since I've had it back I just get stalked. I've had people follow me around town and pull up next to me at the store. I've had high school kids tell me its their dream car. I get old guys shaking their head at me. I got my picture taken twice THIS week while driving. Its getting a little outta hand. This isn't some 300k lambo. Car never got attention like this before so what gives?

I finally got a chance to follow behind it while the wife drove the other night. The lights beams coming from my front shinning on the side of the 951 while it drove. Man the paint looks really good. The wheel arches are deep and the lips are polished. It reflects the light well. The car going down the road just looked so mean. The exhaust rumble was deep and low pitch. It didn't really look like any 944 I had ever remembered seeing.

And I finally think I got what the fuss is about. Its a older Porsche you can tell it is but, it doesn't look normal. It looks different somehow. A random person going by couldn't put their finger on it they just know they like it. I realize its the rear end and the wheel/tire combo. It just makes the car. I had a couple clearly waiting for me to come out of Barnes and noble the other night. Once they saw me reach for my keys next to they car they jumped out of their Cayenne. We had a lovely conversation. She owns a caymen. They are a porsche family.

They asked me what the heck it was. I laughed and said a 944. She said it was beautiful and that she'd never seen anything so well kept(she should look at the interior haha). I'm just stunned at the level of attention the car gets around here. Is this cause I'm in the middle of nowhere? Do you guys that live outside a major city get this treatment? At ever single light I have people gawking at me. Thankgod for the limo tint. I get some privacy.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get alot of attention in mine when I am setting there in the gastation parking lot when I was popped by a dump truck
But yes here in Va it gets alot of attention but when you get a nice set on wheels on these cars seams to set them off.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i get a lot of attention from other guys/gals my age(22) but older people, not staring, they ask questions, say they wish they had bought one when they were new.

i had a guy offer 5g for it last weekend outside a local advanced auto, but i told him, i don't have another car, and it's sunday so no dealers are open, he then turned and offered me (in his mind) a good alternative, a honda prelude
Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

yes, usually its good, sometimes its bad (something lately about 85-87 civic hatches trying to race me, even with my 150HP there isnt a chance in hell for them and their 58HP 1.3L).

yesterday though i was leaving this nice restaurant in san diego and there was a family walking in the parking lot in front of me and they were looking at the car and i heard a few nice comments, then i slipped by and just gave them a nice smile as i opened the door for my gf to get in..
upon exit of course i gave them the customary run up to redline in 1-2 lol
Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

every couple of months someone on the freeway will drive like a madman to get next to me so they can wave and give me a thumbs ups. I think its pretty funny, considering my car needs a paint job desperately. I guess the combo (silver with blacked out windows with black/polished lip wheels) does make it pretty striking, but like I said in that other thread, there used to be thousands of 944s on the roads down here, people aren't usually too impressed with it. Cops do not notice me. That part is great.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Saturday Night when I got back home after a day/night at the track some kids (high school age) say the car on the trailer and said it was "sick". I guess that is good.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

every time i take it out i get compliments.

95sl320 dd
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M758
Saturday Night when I got back home after a day/night at the track some kids (high school age) say the car on the trailer and said it was "sick". I guess that is good.
Yeah sick is good I get sick alot. The wife was driving it up to the store the other night and got hounded by a couple of highschool kids. She came home and asked "is sick a good thing?"
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I think most people don't know what it is without seeing "Porsche" on it somewhere. Those who do know will sometimes wave or give thumbs up.
But I don't live in a very populated area.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i don't get a whole lot of attention around here...every once in a while i would get a honk or thumbs up, but most of the time people just stare for a second and look away. It's kind of interesting because i will only see one around here every month or two tops, sometimes it's 3-4 months between them.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You attention *****... you know you love it.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

I was stopped in front of a Holiday Inn in D.C. last week and a couple stopped next to my car. The guy pointed and said, "That's a Turbo." and the lady took a picture. I can honestly say it made my day. My car isn't perfect, (plenty of chips in the paint, the hood's on crooked, and one of the rubber things on the rear bumper is coming off) but even when it's bug splattered after a 3 hour drive it still gets attention.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
purple_rado
Racer

i was chased down by an older gentleman in a 997s yesterday afternoon and given the thumbs up. my car grabs attention here and there at gas stations and such. i think its the clown shoes i currently have on the car though
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting that you guys seem to get so much attention with your 944s. In the 17 years I owned a 944, it really got very little attention from other people after the late 80's/early 90s. I'd get an occasional thumbs up, or nice car comment. But by the time the Boxsters were out, my 944 stopped getting any attention except for those rare occasions when I'd see another 944 on the road and the driver would give me a thumbs up. Maybe the 944 has gotten so old and there are fewer decent ones on the road, that its kind of cool to have one now rather than Boxsters that are everyplace these days.

When my Father's 86 Carrera was new, some of the guys at a gas stations asked lots of questions about it. Then a woman with a VW came in and said, "I don't see what the big deal is is basically the same as my car." To which one of the guys from the gas station said, "Lady, the only thing your car has in common with his is 4 wheels and a windshield." That car always got a lot of attention.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
krystar
Drifting

lol that's a nice quote.

Quick Reply: Do you get alot of attention in your 944?