Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

948 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Uh, no.

Go to Renegade in LV and talk to Scott. Or call him and ask.
Uh, I wasn't asking you. Thanks for the "Google it".
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 153BigBlock
Uh, I wasn't asking you. Thanks for the "Google it".
No, you don't understand.

I literally meant: "No, call Scott." Not "Get lost."
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I must say I am intriged by all the LSx swap talk. From what I have heard a streetable 500hp is quite achiveable on a 2002+ LS1 with GMPP CNC heads and cam. These engines/parts are readily available and easily/cheaply maintained. I do have some questions:

1. Will a stock 951 transmission prove reliable with that amount of power? Anyone with any long-term experience running close to that hp.

2. Do you have to strengthen any of the gears, 1st, 2nd, and how is this achived? I heard this was stock on some later 951's so they must have done it for a reason.

3. Would a trans cooler be advisable and can these be retrofitted?

4. Are the axles strong enough? Heard of people mentioning GKN axles.

5. I understand all the LSx short blocks are the same dimentions, but what about the intake plumbing/throttle bodies. The LS3 set-up looks much taller at the front, won't that mean a hood bulge?

6. I think most of the later (2003+) LSx engines have electronic throttles. How do you control that with the 944 mechanical throttle?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can answer some of your questions...

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I must say I am intriged by all the LSx swap talk. From what I have heard a streetable 500hp is quite achiveable on a 2002+ LS1 with GMPP CNC heads and cam. These engines/parts are readily available and easily/cheaply maintained. I do have some questions:

1. Will a stock 951 transmission prove reliable with that amount of power? Anyone with any long-term experience running close to that hp.
It's the standard everyone uses. It handles an increase in power quite well, though there are limits. Also depends how you drive - see #4

2. Do you have to strengthen any of the gears, 1st, 2nd, and how is this achived? I heard this was stock on some later 951's so they must have done it for a reason.
Better to use a transaxle with hardened 1st/2nd gears, though it's not a requirement. And, of course, it depends on how you drive - see #4

3. Would a trans cooler be advisable and can these be retrofitted?
Probably advisable. Mine didn't have one, so I'm going to retrofit the cooling line on it. The lines are cheap and plentiful - the problem is the pump drive gear in the housing itself. From my research it's nearly unobtainable. Easiest and cheapest thing to do is run an external electric pump.

4. Are the axles strong enough? Heard of people mentioning GKN axles.
Ah yes, broken axles. If you do drag launches, you will break axles. Repeatedly. Not to mention you will likely destroy your transaxle along with them. These cars are not, and never were, designed for drag races. Resist the urge to have a go at that Mustang next to you at the lights, and let them know you will meet them at the track - road circuit that is - any time to prove your car's performance superiority.

5. I understand all the LSx short blocks are the same dimentions, but what about the intake plumbing/throttle bodies. The LS3 set-up looks much taller at the front, won't that mean a hood bulge?
Truck intakes are much taller to provide longer runners = more torque. The car motors use the shallower intakes. However, unless you want to lower your front suspension, steering and cross-member, or use a dry sump oiling system, you'll most likely need to have some kind of "power bulge" on the hood to clear the throttle body.

6. I think most of the later (2003+) LSx engines have electronic throttles. How do you control that with the 944 mechanical throttle?
Two things you can do here. Some people swap in the throttle pedal assembly from a Corvette/GTO/Caddilac, then use the factory drive-by-wire throttle. The other option is to use an aftermarket throttle body set up for a mechnical/cable throttle linkage. This is the route I took since I also wanted a larger throat.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks JJ, so it seems that nothing is a show stopper, there is a workaround for every engine in the series.

I don't however like the idea of a power bulge, quite like to remain stock/stealth. I know the LS1 fits in there without any hood mods and the LS3 doesn't. Also the LS3 has the electronic throttle which means more messing around. A modded 2002+ LS1 F-body would seem to be the best option, cheap to buy, easy to mod to 500hp, has the updated LS6 intake, has the correct accessories, has the modded rocker covers, the strengthened short block and there are lots around. I've seen low mileage examples go for under $3000, there's one on ebay right now: LS1 - F-Body Complete.

Quick Reply: 948 Test Drive