Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove 1986 944 - have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 1986 944 - have some questions

Hey all! I just test drove a 1986 944. It drove well and was in pretty good shape. That being said, I still have some questions if you guys don't mind:
(1) from online research, I learned that the 1985.5 and up had a windshield antenna; however, this one is a 1986 (carfaxed) and it had a fender antenna. what gives?

(2) the clutch was replaced 30k miles ago. it didn't slip when I drove it. I would downshift, and go WOT till redline. The only thing that I didn't like was how high it would engage. Is this common for this car or is this clutch on it's way?

(3) Is the hatch leak easy to get fixed? I couldn't find much info but I found a DIY that was a bit risky for me to try.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask to see receipts for the clutch, to make sure it really was done. See if it lists a part number for the disc. If it is 116-012-11, it's the stock rubber-center disc and could be 1/2 way to dead. Every used 944 I've seen "has just had a clutch", despite clearly not having had cheaper, common maintenance items like timing belts taken care of.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Ask to see receipts for the clutch, to make sure it really was done. See if it lists a part number for the disc. If it is 116-012-11, it's the stock rubber-center disc and could be 1/2 way to dead. Every used 944 I've seen "has just had a clutch", despite clearly not having had cheaper, common maintenance items like timing belts taken care of.
Thats just because untill it breaks the TB still drives OK, and SOME owners on these cars don't ever think about the TB... The clutch will be going..going...gone and then HAVE to replaced to drive the car again... and then the bill comes and whoever (mom and dad) has to pay for it makes the clutch the last straw...

To the OP...
You sound like someone who has NEVER owned one of these cars, that having been said... Find a good P-Car shop, or beter yet a dealership... Pay them to perform a PPI (pre-purchase inspection, usualy anywhere from $100-$300, it is a life saver, especialy if you suspect the clutch might be going)... they will give a list of every little thing wrong with the car, and an estimate to fix it... you can then use that info to either negotiate the price, or decide to walk away from the car... Oh and more than likely the slave cylinder wasn't properly adjusted when the clutch was last done... it is easy to adjust for pedal throw, especialy when re-installing it after replacing the clutch...

PPI.... PPI.... PPI..... WAY more important than a test drive.... unless it is a cheap price, and you have DEEP pockets.. I personaly payed less than 8K total for both my Porsches... but I like working on them, and make them into what I want, rather than paying someone else to do it for me, or paying for a car with all of it already done (I bought both my P-Cars sight unseen off of E-bay... risky, maybe, but like I said, I like doing the work... Except on the rear hatch.. it is a MAJOR pain in the *** to work on, especialy if the glass needs to be re-sealed to the frame...

as far a the fender antenna goes, sounds like someone got a "cheap" windshield without the antenna and added the fender one for the radio... OR teh fender one was cheaper than figuring out what went wrong with the linear amp behind the glove box... but I could be wrong on this...

Where are you located, I am sure a Lister here is close by and can take a look at the car for you and give you an objective evaluation.... There is a world of knoledge on here, just need to find the right people...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

No it'll be my first if I buy it. I'm not uninformed about the car though and can spot many things on my own. I'm hesitant about a PPI since it's in the best interest of the dealership to try to push their services on me, whether needed or not. I'm more of a DIY'er on most except body work.

Timing/balance belts have been replaced along with waterpump, thermostat, rollers, . The owner of it now is someone I know and trust, but he's only owned it a couple years. The records are there but clutch was done by previous owner. I'll look for the part number though, good call.

Still don't know if the clutch is suppose to engage high. It didn't slip and didn't make any noises. Trans was fine. Every gear felt fine and pulled till redline without popping or winding. Can anyone that owns a similar 944 answer this question please?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

+10000 on getting a PPI...best few hundred bucks you'll ever spend !

Another thought on the antenna...or two really.

1) the windshield antenna sucks.....someone could have wanted real reception and put in a real antenna.

2) someone could have replaced your 'late' fender with an 'early' fender which had the antenna hole...and put an antenna in the hole to fill it up. I would check to see if there's actually a wire going to the antenna....maybe it will lead you to find that the car had been banged up and the fender changed.

On the subject of the clutch...it's the most expensive maint. item you can do on your car....it will cost you between $1000 and $1500 to replace a clutch if you pay a mechanic to do the work....so make sure you know what you're buying !
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelCutOff
Still don't know if the clutch is suppose to engage high. It didn't slip and didn't make any noises. Trans was fine. Every gear felt fine and pulled till redline without popping or winding. Can anyone that owns a similar 944 answer this question please?
Its probably misadjusted. If you can, climb under it and do this:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-03.htm
Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the clutch is an unknown...figure that in the next 10,000 miles (or way less if you plan to drive agressively) that you'll be spending the $1000 to $1500 for a new one to be installed.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good call Daryl !
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Every used 944 I've seen "has just had a clutch"
As opposed to the new ones?

My 84 with about 2K on the clutch is almost impossible to stall and kicks in pretty early. Definitely look for a service record.

Also as anyone on this board will tell you, and exactly what I was told when shopping for a 944, is that anything not recently documented as serviced will need maintenance sooner than later.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

let's see more pics of that early yellow car PXJ800 !

I am not far from you...don't think we've met.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FuelCutOff
No it'll be my first if I buy it. I'm not uninformed about the car though and can spot many things on my own. I'm hesitant about a PPI since it's in the best interest of the dealership to try to push their services on me, whether needed or not. I'm more of a DIY'er on most except body work.

Timing/balance belts have been replaced along with waterpump, thermostat, rollers, . The owner of it now is someone I know and trust, but he's only owned it a couple years. The records are there but clutch was done by previous owner. I'll look for the part number though, good call.

I'm also a DIYer, even on body work...

AND I own an 87 944 Turbo (951) with over 200K on the odometer, and an 88 944 N/A with 85K on the odometer, That I replaced the clutch in myself using jackstands none the less... and I already said the clutch is most likely miss adjusted (it is a hydraulic clutch, the slave cylinder is attached to thebell housing, and has a rod that screws in and out, if it is too far in, the pedal will release high in the throw...)

The link to Clarks is a good one, if you are looking at getting into a 944, bookmark clarks garage, lots of good info on there...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Originally Posted by J Berk
let's see more pics of that early yellow car PXJ800 !

I am not far from you...don't think we've met.
Well, if you insist...

Would love to meet up with some local listers... I've only seen 2 944s in the last 6 months!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PXJ800
Well, if you insist...

Would love to meet up with some local listers... I've only seen 2 944's in the last 6 months!
GOTO the fest next weekend, see enough to make you ill....
Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

to the OP read the FAQ on this site a few times. six or seven times is a good start.

As for the PPI, the fellow buying my 951 got himself about $600 in extras because of the PPI. The stuff mentioned in the PPI was not urgent (motor mounts & rear rotors), probably not needed for this or next season, but pointed out, and a concern. I could have saved a lot of $ if i put the aftermarket parts in before the PPI and they would have looked great.

as for the PPI, take it to an independant shop, not the place selling you the car.

i will possibly be looking at an M3 next week. Logbook, same owner last 100k miles, speaking to owner all sounds right, he said clutch is probably original (180k mi) and i priced a new one. the coin for the car is not a lot, but i am still probably getting a PPI, and that is a car with records, and a history since it was three years old.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
FuelCutOff
Intermediate

Ok, thanks for the info guys! It came in pouring. John, I missed the part where you said that, sorry and thanks! Heck, I may tap into your brain for info if I ever need to.

Daryl, great link! Thanks for that!

If I were to replace the clutch, I'd do it myself over the course of a couple weekends. I'm going to go there on monday to do a compression test on it to check the health of the motor. I'll crawl under the car and inspect the clutch as well.

Quick Reply: Test drove 1986 944 - have some questions