Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What SCCA Autocross class to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear height can be adjusted. i doubt an alignment shop will do it for u though.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

A GOOD alignment shop (like Digital Chassis here in Durham) that knows 944s will have the tools to set the rear alignment. They may have to re-index the torsion bars, but if you're just dropping the rear enough to make the car level it can be done with the alignment bolts.

You just need someone with some knowledge and a very, very large breaker bar. So no, Sears alignment shop won't work.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just started in e-stock last weekend and feel that with r-comps that i could have a chance to be competitive. Right now I'm running Konis, the factory 14mm rear sway and a 24mm sway up front with dunlop direzza z1 star specs. I was about 4 seconds off the winning pace in ES last weekend, which was won by a 91 mr2 on Hoosiers. I was the only guy on street tires, so now i guess i need a $900 in race tires if i ever want to win :P

At least i wasn't last.. Oh and i still beat the only other porsche there, a 997 gt3 (i went 3 seconds faster). So it wasn't all bad. The gt3 owner needs some practice.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
67rschev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
I just started in e-stock last weekend and feel that with r-comps that i could have a chance to be competitive. Right now I'm running Konis, the factory 14mm rear sway and a 24mm sway up front with dunlop direzza z1 star specs. I was about 4 seconds off the winning pace in ES last weekend, which was won by a 91 mr2 on Hoosiers . Oh and i still beat the only other porsche there, a 997 gt3 (i went 3 seconds faster). So it wasn't all bad. The gt3 owner needs some practice.
Actually , you were 6 seconds back from the fastest E Stock car , that runs in X (expert class) . Barry Ott is a former national E Stock champion and perennial National contender who has run a MR2 and now a Miata R .

You were fastest Porsche there because , John Carpenter did not bring out his SSM 911 , and I am moving from E stock to the hopelessly brutal index of CSP for the National Event in Vail coming this August . Our Cars can compete for the win in E Stock in our region with a little work and R Comps . I have a set of 225 45 15 Hoosiers SO3 s with a some life left in them that you can have for the price of a good Anthony's Pizza . Let me know.
Tony
Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

I always get slaughtered by an mr2 in ES.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 PM
67rschev
Instructor

. I was about 4 seconds off the winning pace in ES last weekend, which was won by a 91 mr2 on Hoosiers. I was the only guy on street tires, so now i guess i need a $900 in race tires if i ever want to win :P
All so , we have the local " AT " tire class for people who wanna run their street tires . All the cars in AT have to run on AA 140 or greater tires . Then Your corrected PAX times are used against each other to handicap the times . There were a couple of ES cars running AT this last weekend , and they would be a good barometer as how you are running . Like i said , i have a set of Hoosiers if you want them , and once you run on R comps , you wont wanna run on streets .
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just started in e-stock last weekend and feel that with r-comps that i could have a chance to be competitive. Right now I'm running Konis, the factory 14mm rear sway and a 24mm sway up front with dunlop direzza z1 star specs. I was about 4 seconds off the winning pace in ES last weekend, which was won by a 91 mr2 on Hoosiers. I was the only guy on street tires, so now i guess i need a $900 in race tires if i ever want to win :P

At least i wasn't last.. Oh and i still beat the only other porsche there, a 997 gt3 (i went 3 seconds faster). So it wasn't all bad. The gt3 owner needs some practice.
how do you like the Star Specs? what kind of tires did you have before? this is the tire I want to get for my car but in 225/50/16 all around

thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
sbyrne
Racer

The SCCA rulebook is available free for download at scca.com. I've given this advice before - when I started AX'ing, I found an experienced member of my local SCCA region and took him to lunch and picked his brain.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Arominus
Race Car

thanks 67rs,
You'll be getting a PM from me shortly about those tires! I appreciate the help and advise. I really want to take it to the mr2 guys! I had a great time out there and will be doing more events. As i watched AT run i thought it looked like a good class but i wasn't sure if i was banned from it (ala the street touring classes).

I would have loved to have seen the SSM 911 run. I was hoping to see the GT3 rip off a scorching run, and it didn't happen so much.

Roman,
I'm digging the z1's, they are solid and grippy on the street and honestly were about what i was expecting at the auto-x. They took 5 noob passes and don't look thrashed. They are great in the rain too! The ride is excellent as well, they are responsive but not harsh on the street even with the konis (fully turned down). I don't regret them one bit, but i've only had them for a few weeks. My old tires were some Yoko IG20 snow tires, which were pretty good for the snow but didn't stand a chance once it got warm.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

w00t thanks for the info!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:10 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Originally Posted by sbyrne
The SCCA rulebook is available free for download at scca.com. I've given this advice before - when I started AX'ing, I found an experienced member of my local SCCA region and took him to lunch and picked his brain.
Seconding this - I went to my first autocross this weekend with a co-worker who's been involved for years. Everyone at the event itself is really helpful but it helps to have someone pointing you in the right direction regarding registration, class structure and car prep before you get there.

I ended up running in CSP because of my upgraded suspension, exhaust and a few other things. I'm sure I got my butt kicked by all the juiced-up little Miatas there but I had way too much fun to care.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 67rschev
life left in them that you can have for the price of a good Anthony's Pizza . Let me know.
Tony
There is no such thing as a "good anthony's pizza" Barely adequated is the best they get!! Now Ricos on the other hand. That's good pizza.........for colorado!

I have a brand new set of 245/16 Kuhmos. I bought them for the four 16x8s i have for the 951. Since i am selling the 951 and i got a set of 205/225s with a lot of life, I bought a set of 7" rims for the M3 and will run those. I dont know if 245s will clear the front of the M3. If anyone is interested PM me.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
powaw
Intermediate

my 87 runs in csp. It is my first season and am placing about midfield in my region. I'm the only 944 running here and all the competition is rx7's and crx's. Man are the crx's quick. Really suprised me. I think there is only one more person placing above me that isn't on r comps. I run street tires on mine.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a new STR class coming online for 2010. Look at the latest edition of 'fast track' on the SCCA site under 'solo'. Unlike the current ST classes where all Porsches are not allowed, the 944 (under 2.8L) will be allowed for STR.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 AM
67rschev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom R.
There is no such thing as a "good anthony's pizza" Barely adequated is the best they get!! Now Ricos on the other hand. That's good pizza.........for colorado!.
As long as its hand tossed , is served on 2 paperplates , and you have to fold it in half to eat it , im in ! And not all Anthony's are created equil , give the one on Green Mountain a shot , much better than the one at the Tech Center . Did ya wind up getting an e36 M3 ? Due tell ..... Let me Guess , Hellrot over Black ? But whats with the 16s ? Or did ya get the Estoril with the Need for Speed Ricer Racer wheels LOL

Chris , the tires are yours , but it looks like its gonna cost ya a Rico's pie instead , and Tom is gonna bring the M3 for us to drool over . If you have a set of wheels , ill even mount em up for you . I have a set of M030 adjustable strut housings , springs , and hats that will work on your 24s , and is E stock 'legal' if you are interested .

Quick Reply: What SCCA Autocross class to choose?